Advise needed for Latex Mattress

I live in Huntsville, AL and cannot find any store locally that carry latex mattresses. My wife and I have visited every store we can find but the closest we got was a mattress with “some latex”. I have researched pretty extensively and know that we want our next mattress purchase to be 3+3+3 layers of latex.

My question is this: I am 5’8 and weigh 190 lbs. I am both a side sleeper and a back sleeper. I have pretty wide shoulders, and have several surgeries that have left me with lots of joint pain. In your opinion, would I likely have more benefit from a softer top layer or a more firm layer?

We will have a Leggitt and Plat adjustable bed - split king so we will use two different mattresses. My wife is easier to accommodate but I am a little unsure of what layers will meet my needs. I appreciate any input. Thanks.

Your Mattress Underground site has been very helpful to us and we appreciate your site greatly.

Hi Pendergrass,

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to know with any certainty based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” without a reference point of mattresses you have tested (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) and it would also depend on the other layers and components of the mattress as well, but If I had to guess I would guess somewhat softer than firmer.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Huntsville area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix