Affordable linen

I’m looking into some quality bedding for my new mattress. From what I’ve read linen is the way to go but prices seem to be pretty high and certainly not what I’m used to having bought previous sheet sets at target.

Can anyone recommend linen sheets that are a good price and good value. Or maybe at the very least help me rationalize spending this amount of money on bed sheets.

Thanks

While I’m on the topic of bedding…for a latex mattress do people usually put something between the mattress and the first sheet?

Hi sleepypeepy,

Before you go all out linen, I’d recommend you feel it or buy something smaller like a pillow case (unless you get a killer deal, in which case there’s no harm). Or even a fabric swatch can give you an idea. If you already know how it feels, disregard this post.

I have linen, and I like it… But my wife does not (presently) like it. Linen is supposed to soften, but it’s gradual… The point being before you spend a ton of money you might want to feel it first.

I bought my linen via tmasc.ca, and I got st. Geneve. I really like tmasc.ca (the mattress and sleep company) and they’re a member here… Canadian.

I have heard good things about linoto.com, but have no first hand experience.

I recommend you look at roughlinen.com and maybe get a free fabric sample from them. My next linen purchases will most likely be from here.

And yes, people often (usually?) put a mattress protector between the mattress and the first sheet, and that’s a whole long different discussion since mattress protectors have different pros and cons, features and tradeoffs.

Hi sleepypeepy,

I would agree wholeheartedly with dn’s comments :slight_smile:

There is more information about different types of sheets in post #7 here and the posts and webpages it links to (including a couple of threads that discuss linen sheets).

I would also agree that a mattress protector used in between your sheets and bedding is also a very good idea to protect the mattress from moisture, body fluids, and skin cells (which can feed dust mites) and to protect against accidental spills (and protect your warranty). There is more about the pros and cons of different types of protectors in post #89 here.

Phoenix

Thanks for the comments. Maybe I really don’t need linen at this poiint. Do you have any recommendations for bedding that would cost about $150? What materials am I looking at in this price range. I’m looking for something cool and breathable

Hi sleepypeepy,

$150 would be a reasonable budget for the more common types of sheet sets but I would first decide on the types of fabric or materials that you prefer or are most interested in trying and then you will be in a better position to narrow down your options and make some good comparisons between the same or similar types of sheets.

I would focus on natural fibers (such as cotton … especially egyptian or supima cotton) or viscose/rayon types of fibers (such as bamboo, tencel, micromodal etc) because they are more temperature regulating than most synthetics (such as polyester).

Hopefully your bedding budget doesn’t include the mattress protector but if it does then you would be limited to the membrane type protectors because either stretch cotton or wool/cotton protectors would use up most or all of your budget by itself.

Phoenix