After months of research and 4 mattresses later I still can't find the right one.

My mattress search started months ago and 4 mattresses later I’m left with nothing but a sore back. A little background. I am 6’9" 275lbs, side sleeper, very broad shoulder and my wife is 5’9" 130lbs. It seems any matters that I like is too firm for my wife and any mattress my wife likes is too soft for me. We started out with a sleepys phenom mattress, great for my wife but my hips sunk right to the foundation after it broke in. Then a tempurpedic allura bed which was way too firm for my wife and ok for me. Next up was the tempurpedic cloud luxe breeze which we both loved in the store but a week after sleeping on it seemed to soften up and I would wake with terrible hip and lower back pain, to the point of where if I bent over my back would be thrown out.
Next we looked at sleep number beds which we liked the i10 in the store but felt it was extremely over priced at $5k. So I then found a comfortaire N15 for much less money. I was told and read that it is similar to the i10 but I do not think it is. The comfortaire n15 feels the best so far but it feels cheap like a mattress that you would put out for guests that sleep over. It is not very solid and I do not feel that it is a luxurious mattress worth over 3k. I though the comfort foam would be more supportive but it’s very soft. It seems that when I inflate it to enough pressure to support my hips it is then too much pressure on my shoulder. If I lower the pressure so that its soft enough for my shoulder it’s then too soft and provides not enough support on my hips. I am at a loss here and think it may be best just for each of us to get our own bed but would prefer not too. I really do not know what to do next. I am near 11735 if you have any stores to recommend. I have read through the information on this site but still am at a loss. Thank you.

Hi Wave1911,

I would completely “reset” how you are looking for a mattress and the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Post #3 here and the posts it links to also have more information that will be helpful for those that are in higher weights including some suggestions for couples that have a large weight differential.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Long Island area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix

Since you mentioned that you started out at Sleepy’s, have you tried their King Koil SomniGel models? I’m about the same size as you and after trying virtually every type of mattress available found their Performa model to be my best choice. You can read about my experience here, I hope that you find it helpful.

Hi Sweet Dreams,

I would be very cautious about suggesting a mattress for someone else unless you know the type and quality of all the materials inside it (see this article).

Do you know the specs for the mattress?

If you do … could you share them on the forum?

Making a blind purchase where you don’t know the quality and durability of the materials inside a mattress is one of the most common sources of buyers remorse much too quickly after a purchase because it makes it impossible to identify any weak links or make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

Phoenix

Excuse me for trying to be helpful, but all I suggested is that he try it out if he has the opportunity to do so. I already own the mattress in question for several months and find it to meet my needs better than any others that I tried. Many of those had all of the known ‘quality materials’ but failed to satisfy my needs. The SomniGel mattress has a unique feel and supportiveness. As you have stated many times on this site, everyone has different needs and perceives the quality and support of mattress in individual ways, so I would never suggest that someone buy a mattress blindly. Please forgive me if my suggestion is considered to be out of line in this forum, but I was only trying to help by providing another unique mattress design to consider.

Hi Sweet Dreams,

I realize you are trying to be helpful and I certainly appreciate the intent but there is little point in trying a mattress unless you are also able to find out the type and quality of all the materials inside it because the only thing you will be able to tell is PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). If you can’t find out the type and quality of the materials inside it then you won’t know anything about the durability or useful life of a mattress (see post #13 here about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase).

There would be little “value” in buying a mattress that is “perfect” in terms of PPP if the materials in the mattress are likely to soften or break down too quickly relative to the price you paid.

Phoenix