Air-Pedic experience?

My current bed, an aging Select Comfort air mattress, is in need of replacement. The mattress has become lumpy and I seem to have more lower back pain events. Current mattress options seem overwhelming. This site is very helpful.

I prefer an air mattress to adjust/manage firmness, yet am intrigued by the memory foam technology. The Air-Pedic 500 Series, for example, appears to integrate both features. Can anyone share their experience with this mattress or an equivalent?

Hi 70runner,

You can see my thoughts about airbeds in general this article. While any mattress can be a good match for a specific person because each person’s needs and preferences or the criteria that are most important to them can be very different … in general terms I would tend to avoid them unless there is a very compelling reason that an airbed would be a better choice for you in “real life” (outside of the many “marketing stories” that you will hear about them) than the many other options or types of mattresses that are available to you.

While there aren’t any comments of feedback on the forum about the Air-Pedic airbed on the forum outside of a few brief comments here … I have talked with Rick about the design and I like that they use a very flexible air bladder which can help with the “bottoming out” feel of air bladders that are stiffer, they have a separate air chamber under the lumbar/pelvis area which can help offset any sagging in the middle of an airbed which can be a fairly common experience with airbeds … especially with softer settings, and they also use high quality and durable comfort layers so there aren’t any lower quality materials or weak links in the materials in terms of durability that would be typical with some of the larger airbed manufacturers that are sold in the mainstream market.

If you are committed to an airbed and are convinced that there are no other types of mattresses that will meet your criteria then there are also some other airbed options available to you that are listed in post #3 here that may also be worth considering although IMO the Air-Pedic would certainly be among the better quality/value airbed options that are available.

Phoenix