Aireloom Harmony Firm Latex mattress causes pressure points

Please help. I am running out of time for a trade-in.

After reading these forums and articles for weeks, reading customer reviews and lying on beds in our local SitnSleep I purchased an Aireloom Harmony Firm. After narrowing our selection to 4 choices (3 hybrids and this one. Our favorites were a Stearns & Foster Lux hybrid- but the reviews for their beds are terrible AND the bed would be way too tall for our old golden retriever to jump up on, and A Comforpedic Recharge foam hybrid) we lay down on them for a long rest. This Aireloom bed, with latex, seemed almost buoyant (in the store) I could lie there for a long time and feel supported yet kind of floating on it. It didn’t seem too hard. The bed delivered to our house was very firm and after sleeping on it for 5 weeks, I have severe pressure point problems on my hips and shoulder. I am a side sleeper. I feel as if I am sleeping on blankets on the floor. The mattress has loosened up considerably yet I am miserable. Is it just too firm for me? I do have fibromyalgia so pressure points are a big problem. My husband LOVES the mattress, has no pain and no more backaches.

I have tried a few nights using an old 1" memory foam topper (it does relieve pressure) and with a new DreamFoam 4" gel topper, which was too thick and left no indication of what the mattress under you was like. I didn’t like the DreamFoam topper at all because it was hot, too thick, and I just spent $2900 on a mattress I couldn’t feel.

Should I trade the mattress in for a different choice or try another sort of topper? I don’t have much time left to decide (less than 2 weeks) and it will cost us $500 to give it back. Two questions: 1) Why should I have to top a new mattress? Shouldn’t it be dreamy from the start? and 2) Do I just miss having box springs? I feel like I am sleeping on a stack of blankets on the floor.

Here is the product info (I have been trying to get exact specs from the company):
Multi-layer support core
Firm ReflexT foam
Heavy duty foam rails
Comfort system feature temperature regulating foam with Phase Change® technology
5# Memory Foam over firm Talalay latex
Ultra Conforming Knit top panel which features Tencel® material.
Adjustable friendly
25 year warranty

Hi sidesleeper2,

Unfortunately … in spite of your reading here … you appear to have purchased a mattress (and considered several others) that I normally wouldn’t have considered at all and it doesn’t sound like you followed the guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial that I would normally suggest people follow to purchase a good quality/value mattress. This has left you in a rather difficult position where you may be limited to an exchange at a store where there are no great options to exchange for in a similar price range (and even if there is it would cost you a minimum of $500).

There is more about the most common symptoms that people may experience on a mattress and the most likely reasons for them in post #2 here and the other posts it links to. While only you can feel what you feel on a mattress or know whether a mattress is too firm or soft for you … based on your description it certainly sounds like your mattress is too firm for you or at least isn’t a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful.

Post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to has more about choosing a topper that can help you use your sleeping experience as a guideline or reference point for choosing the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that would have the best chance of success. It sounds like the topper you chose in combination with your mattress was too thick for you.

If you choose a mattress that is a good match for you in terms of PPP then a topper wouldn’t be necessary but if you make a “mistake” in your mattress choice (usually because your testing didn’t predict your actual sleeping experience) and your mattress is too firm for you then a topper can be a good solution to add the additional comfort or pressure relief that you need but it can sometimes be a challenge to choose a topper that is a good match for you in combination with your mattress. It all depends on whether the mattress you chose was a good match for you in terms of PPP.

Box springs (that have springs) are suitable for some types of mattresses but not for others such as yours which are designed to work best without a box spring (there is more about the different types of support systems that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses in the foundation post here). For a mattress that is designed to be used with an “active” box spring (vs a mattress that does best with a non flexing support surface such as a foundation) then it can certainly make a difference compared to a non flexing support surface and every “active” part of a sleeping system will make a difference in the feel and performance of a “sleeping system” but box springs aren’t normally suitable for a foam mattress. The only thing that matters is whether any mattress you choose (whether it needs a box spring or not) is a good match for you in terms of PPP.

If you test a mattress with a box spring (that flexes under the mattress) and the combination mattress/box spring is a good match for you in terms of PPP then it’s always a good idea to purchase the box spring with the mattress because a different support system will make a difference in the feel and performance of the mattress. If you test a mattress on a firm non flexing support surface (a foundation or a platform bed or adjustable bed) and it’s a good match for you then any firm non flexing support system that provides suitable support for the type of mattress you purchased will generally be fine (they would all be similar because they would all have limited to no flex under the mattress). Again it all depends on how well you test the mattress (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial) and on how well your testing predicts your actual sleeping experience.

If I understand their policy correctly then I don’t believe they provide a refund option where you can “give it back” which means your options would be limited to either an exchange or adding a topper.

You are the only one that can make these types of decisions but if I was in your shoes the first step I would take is to find out the specifics of all the layers in your mattress (see this article) so you can make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the design. Unfortunately the specs you provided don’t include all the information you would need to know this. If you can confirm that there isn’t more than “about an inch or so” of either unknown or lower quality materials in the upper layers of your mattress … then your mattress would make a suitable “base mattress” for a topper and in spite of the uncertainty of finding the “right” topper and the time and trial and error it may take … it would probably be the most cost effective solution. The “best outcome” for this option would be that you end with a suitable sleeping system for only the cost of a topper (which would be less than your exchange costs). The “risk” of this option is the uncertainty and trial and error that could be involved in choosing the “right” topper.

Your other option would be to retest the mattresses in the store that are in the same or higher price range to find a mattress that is a better “match” for you in terms of PPP without needing a topper AND (and this is important) that you can also confirm has no lower quality materials or weak links in the design. Choosing this option would depend on your confidence that your testing will do a good job of predicting your actual sleeping experience. If you do go in this direction then the only caution would be to make sure that you don’t “overcompensate” and choose a mattress that is too soft because you would have no other exchange options available and it’s much more difficult to “fix” a mattress that is too soft than a mattress that is too firm (see post #4 here). The “best” outcome with this option would be that you have a mattress that is a good match for you in terms of PPP without needing a topper and you would have spent $500 (plus any additional cost if you choose a more expensive mattress). As long as you don’t choose a mattress that is too soft then the “worst” outcome with this option would be that you once again chose a mattress that is too firm and still need an additional topper.

Phoenix

Ouch, don’t be too hard on me. I did read this blog heavily (and others) before we shopped and I checked my alignment at the store and researched materials and reviews of brands etc. We don’t have a lot of choices out here in the boonies for trying beds. I would think that my ultimate decision was made more in my head than in my body (and I know you advise against this) except that the very last time we went in to “sleep” on beds this Aireloom bed felt very buoyant but pleasantly firm. Every time I tried it on three separate trips I said “Ahhh,” when I laid down on it and we stayed over an hour the last time on it. I think everything I read went out the window when I felt pressure to make a decision. I trusted the word Talalay latex (everyone seems to love latex) and Aireloom and my brain said “good”. And we purchased from SitnSleep because they do have an exchange (but no refund). Our other stores don’t. SitnSleep also had 0% interest and a huge sale, so I thought we were doing the right thing.

“Box springs (that have springs) are suitable for some types of mattresses but not for others such as yours.”

I know, I was just wondering if I should have bought a hybrid instead, foam and springs. This is the first non-box-spring bed I have ever slept in. I do miss the helpful bounce when turning over. This mattress at the store seemed to have enough latex-like bounce that I thought I would be happy. Cost was a factor. I wanted to stay under $3000 for a Cal King.

I was trying to compromise between my husband’s preference and mine on the beds we tried. There are few stores here to try beds. Our previous bed was a firm (springs) so I thought firm would be fine. I do have support at my waist when on my side and I checked my adult daughter on it, she looks in alignment but said her hip feels the sore at the bottom too after lying there awhile.

I called the company today and asked how thick each layer was and for a spec sheet on the foams. The woman said “That information is proprietary.” Then she said I should call SitnSleep because they were trained to answer these questions. I said I needed to know about the layers to know how to solve my comfort issue. This is all I got from her:

a knit-top panel of Tencel and polyester, a layer of quilt-flex poly foam over temperature foam, 5 ILD viscoelastic memory foam and then Talalay latex over a multi layer core of 5" of ultra firm foam.

She said it’s an 11" mattress so that means there is 6" of comfort layers over the ultra-firm core. She mentioned the word airlux foam too but she was talking too fast so I don’t know if that’s the name of the 5" core or not.

That’s all she would tell me and then she referred me to my store for further help. If I had spoken to her first I don’t think I would have purchased an Aireloom. She said they don’t take mattresses back so I’m lucky if I found a store that will. Then she said if I am a side sleeper that this mattress would be too firm. I wonder why my SitnSleep salesperson didn’t know this?

Yes I do intend that if I exchange it, I won’t overcompensate by buying a too soft mattress. That’s one of the reasons why I was nervous about the plush beds I liked. From what I read, the plush wears out faster than the support.

As for a topper, I have read the articles again and will try to stop going by reviews of what other people find comfortable. The DreamFoam topper I sent back taught me that i prefer a thinner and much softer foam and that I don’t need the gel as it heats up anyway later at night. I do like the memory foam feel though so will stick with that over latex.

If the store had another bed thatI thought would solve my problem I would trade and put an end to this. I will try another topper first.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Hi sidesleeper,

[quote]I said I needed to know about the layers to know how to solve my comfort issue. This is all I got from her:

a knit-top panel of Tencel and polyester, a layer of quilt-flex poly foam over temperature foam, 5 ILD viscoelastic memory foam and then Talalay latex over a multi layer core of 5" of ultra firm foam.

She said it’s an 11" mattress so that means there is 6" of comfort layers over the ultra-firm core. She mentioned the word airlux foam too but she was talking too fast so I don’t know if that’s the name of the 5" core or not.

That’s all she would tell me and then she referred me to my store for further help. If I had spoken to her first I don’t think I would have purchased an Aireloom. She said they don’t take mattresses back so I’m lucky if I found a store that will. Then she said if I am a side sleeper that this mattress would be too firm. I wonder why my SitnSleep salesperson didn’t know this?[/quote]

Knowing the layers won’t help solve your comfort issues but it will confirm that there are no weak links in the mattress in terms of durability and the useful life of the mattress. One of the reasons I suggest avoiding Aireloom is that its usually not possible to find out all the information you would need to identify any weak links in the mattress and make an informed choice (see this article).

Unfortunately this is all too common in much of the mainstream industry where many salespeople may be more interested in selling you anything they can convince you to buy (or that you are willing to buy) than they are in providing the type of guidance that can help you make the most suitable choice.

Yes … the upper layers of a mattress are usually the weakest link in the mattress and a mattress will tend to soften or break down from the top down. This is why it’s so important to make sure that there are only minimal amounts of lower quality or unknown materials in any mattress you purchase … in the upper layers especially (see the guidelines here).

That’s a good idea :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding and I hope that no matter which direction you decide on that you end up with a “sleeping system” that is a perfect “match” for you in terms of PPP.

Phoenix

That article on the top 15 manufacturers was a laugh. There are no mattresses in town that are not on the avoid list (that can be tried out). We were not in a position at the time to travel out of town to investigate further. Thank you again. I will let you know what we decide.

Hi sidesleeper,

That’s unfortunate. I’m not sure where you live but in those areas of the country where there aren’t any good options available locally then I would generally suggest some of the better online options that have good exchange or return/refund options available after a purchase just in case a purchase doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress (online or local) that can help reduce the risks of each of them in post #2 here (although I realize that this won’t help you with your current circumstances so it would be more for future reference)

Phoenix

“There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress (online or local) that can help reduce the risks of each of them in post #2 here.”

Good article to re-read. I recognized it from before. I regret not following everything I read here before I bought a new mattress. You have to admit it is a LOT of information. I must have been overwhelmed and should have slowed down my purchase.

The article reminded me that I loved our old mattress so much that I was upset when it wore out. I would have bought the exact same thing if I could have found it. If I may, I’d like to show you the info I found from my old mattress, the one that finally cratered. I am not sure of the manufacturer. The label said: 1281 - Milan, Chateau Collection, 2007

4 lb aerus visco 35%
Reflex Foam 28%
Polyurethane Foam 23%
Pillow Flex 14%

The only thing that comes up in search is a Stress-o-pedic with the same exact name… Chateau Collection Milan. It is also an innerspring like my old one. There is no other name on it. The mattress has a fabric top that has “aloe vera” printed as a design all over the top. Sueded-fabric sides. Under Chateau Collection, Milan, it says “The world’s finest mattress for the world’s finest homes”.

I just found the same label online. It is a Stress-o-pedic Chateau labe! just like on my bed. They don’t currently have a Milan that I can see but the materials are similar to mine, scrumptuous. I haven’t found a price yet on them. What a comfortable bed this was for 6 years. Not long, I know, for it’s life span though, and for the $2400 we paid for it.

Hi sidesleeper2,

As you suspected … I’m pretty sure it would be this one from Stress-O-Pedic. They don’t make it any more but it was listed on their site until at least late 2011.

Phoenix

Yes, that’s it! My husband keeps asking me why I want another like ours when ours gave out so quickly. I have to say it was the fabric, and the construction, and the several layers of foam on top leading to the super soft foam layer at the crest. It had very comfortable coils too. At least having these specs lets me know what to look for in a topper… soft. Thank you for all your help. I will write back when we have a resolution.

The Milan was a super soft bed! :slight_smile: If you only had the Milan for such a short time you could have had it repaired- I believe the warranty was 20 years. Not that it helps you now :pinch: so I hope you find a topper that helps you sleep on your current mattress.