Airflow metrics for foam, do they exist? Does Brooklyn use open-cell?

I am wondering if is there any way to compare airflow in a memory foam topper by using empirical data. In other words, does a measurement such as CFM exist for mattress materials so that the consumer has something tangible and objective to go off of rather than marketing hype?

Also, does anyone know if the Brooklyn Bedding gel foam is open-cell memory foam or closed cell?

If of the open-cell type, would their gel foam have more air flow than the Foamex Aerus memory foam, which I am assuming is one of the best for breathability? (Assuming…since I cannot seem to find actual measurements of airflow).

Hi bmbsqd7,

The metric exists (ASTM D3574-01) and has a testing standard (see here) but the problem is that the information isn’t publicly available except on very rare occasions with a great deal of searching. There are also other factors in the ventilation and temperature regulation of a mattress and the airflow of the foam by itself is only one of these although of course it would be helpful to know. There is also more information in post #6 here about cooling down memory foam.

In general terms your best information will come from good manufacturers or retailers that aren’t prone to marketing hype and will give you more accurate information about their mattresses based on experience or more generalized information about different types of materials or components although of course this won’t be directly comparable in technical or specific “airflow” terms.

You can see some airflow specs for 4 lb Aerus here but I don’t know how this specifically compares to other specific types of memory foam or gel memory foam because the specs are difficult to get and may not tell the whole story but at least it gives you one reference point if you happen to come across other specs for a memory foam that is in a mattress you are considering.

All memory foam is open celled … it’s just a matter of degree. Closed cell foams are “pneumatic” and generally not suitable for mattresses. As a general rule faster responding memory foams or slightly lower density memory foams are more open celled than slower responding or higher density memory foams but of course this is a generalization and not specific to any particular foam. Brooklyn Bedding uses several different types of gel memory foam in their mattresses so if you call them they would probably be able to tell you which one tended to be the most cooling or breathable.

Phoenix