Airweave Bed

Has anyone tried an Airweave bed yet. Not the topper but the bed.

Check it out.
Thanks

Hi Jls3od,

Are you considering purchasing one and looking for more information or are you connected with the company?

You are the first one to mention them on the forum and they are also very new in North America so I doubt that any of the members here have tried it but I can certainly make a few general comments that may be helpful if you are a consumer that is considering purchasing one.

They are made from an intertwined polyethylene fiber material (similar to fishing line) that is very resilient (springy) and highly breathable. The resilience can make movement on the mattress easier which can help to maintain deeper levels of sleep and the high airflow can improve temperature regulation which can also help to maintain deeper levels of sleep as well.

They are promoting a study that they did (see here) that shows the benefits of better airflow and temperature regulation and more resilient materials but it looks like they only compared it to a low rebound material (which was probably some type of memory foam) and not to other types of more resilient materials so it’s not clear what the benefits would be compared to polyfoam, latex, microcoils, or other types of more resilient materials that are widely used in the industry.

They are a successful company in Japan and are looking to expand their brand to North America. They originally just sold toppers but they have recently introduced their mattress here as well and they are using endorsements by athletes and other more active people to highlight the benefits of sleeping on their mattress.

Like any mattress purchase … the only way to know how well you will sleep on their mattress compared to other mattresses that you “could have purchased” instead will be based on your careful testing or your own personal experience because different people can have very different experiences on the same mattress or materials.

Some of the negatives about their mattresses (or toppers) are the high cost even compared to more premium and costly materials that are used in the industry (such as latex) and I’m guessing that at least some of this may be connected to the cost of shipping their mattresses from Japan. They apparently can’t be compressed for shipping or bent (they don’t recommend using them on an adjustable bed) so this would also increase their shipping cost as well.

In terms of durability they appear to be a reasonably durable material based on their suggestion that their mattress will last for up to 7 years for someone that is up to 260 lbs although manufacturers will often overestimate the durability of the materials they use so this may be somewhat generous as well. They also don’t mention the specifics of their warranty or the depth of any visible impressions that they would consider to be a defect (warranties only cover defects and not the loss of comfort and support that can lead to the need to buy a new mattress) and their warranty is also for only 3 years which could also be a reason for caution in terms of durability and the useful life of the mattress as well.

They have a 60 day trial period and return policy and the cost of returning a mattress with their removal service is $100 so this would be the amount of risk involved if you were to purchase their mattress and your choice didn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and you wanted to return it for a refund (less the $100).

Phoenix

I am a consumer looking for a bed that doesn’t store any heat underneath me.
This bed looks like that would be impossible which is what I’m looking for but I’m not sure how it feels.
I was hoping someone near NYC on this site had been on one at their showroom.
I’m probably going to take a chance an order anyway unless I can get to NYC sometime soon.

Hi Jls3od,

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular store or business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress so I would be very cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

Not knowing how a mattress will feel to you (regardless of how it may feel to someone else) is just one of the unavoidable risks of purchasing a mattress that you haven’t tried in person before a purchase or where you haven’t at least tried a mattress that uses similar materials so that you would have a very general sense of how the material feels to you.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else.

At the end of the day though the only way to know for certain whether any specific mattress or material is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience so if you can’t test a specific mattress in person then the options you have available after a purchase to either exchange the mattress or individual layers or components or return the mattress for a refund (and any costs involved) would generally become a more important part of your personal value equation just in case a mattress you purchase doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

I would also keep in mind that there are many other mattresses available in the industry that would also provide good temperature regulation as well.

While it’s not possible to quantify or predict the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

In very general terms … the layers and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture wicking, and temperature regulation than layers and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer mattresses.

Phoenix

I’ve tried it. The only way i can describe it is freaky. lol. It has no give and feels as it looks, like spun plastic, but i like a soft bed. Strangely even though i’d describe it as “medium” (hard to even describe it as such b/c it is unlike anything I’ve ever tried), i didn’t have initial pressure point issues as i would on a regular medium bed. I very much wish i could describe it better for you, but…

that being said, my friend tried it as well and also found it to strange. If you are a person who is more open to different experiences and don’t mind a non sinky bed, could be a good option.

I ordered the full thickness Airweave mattress, not the topper and thought it was way too firm.
Easily the firmest mattress I’ve ever been on and my girlfriend and I wanted a firm mattress.
If they ever figure out how to make a softer one I would want it.
I returned it and they promptly refunded me.

I ended up ordering a Purple mattress and have been very happy with it here in Wisconsin in the winter.
I hope it is as cool sleeping next summer as it is now.
So far so good.

Hi Jls3od and paisley,

Thank you both for your feedback on the Airweave. The firmness doesn’t surprise me, based upon the structure of the product and coming from Japan and their marketing demographics. There are supposed to be some “softer” versions of this product (or similar) from companies like Indratech, but I have not sampled them.

Jls3od, I’m glad you were able to get a refund on your purchase and that you are happy with your current mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks for the info on the “feel”.

Does anyone know the manufacturing process? The bed is made of polyethylene fibers. When I looked up polyethylene foam (couldn’t find anything under fibers), it said “blowing agents” are used to make it that are highly inflammable. I am not so concerned about the inflammability, call me crazy, so much as the chemicals. Does it use rubber accelerants?

I am still on a quest to find a rubber-accelerant free mattress as I am highly allergic. All the foam products I have researched use rubber accelerants in the manufacture process (polyurethane foam, memory foam, latex foam both natural and synthetic). I am currently sleeping on a vinyl air mattress. No rubber accelerants so I can breath and don’t itch, but full of phthalates.

I have avoided the buckwheat hull bed as an alternative as the one supplier I found (Open Your Eyes Bedding) has a zero return policy. Thank you.

Hi Happy.gal,

While I’m not completely familiar with the process of making polyethylene terephthalate (PET) fibers, it is not a rubber, so I doubt that it is using an accelerant as you described. This article speaks in more detail to PET fibers. Indratech makes such a fiber, and Bodyrest is an example of a mattress manufacturer that is also using it (in their Green Karma line) ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: bodyrestmattress.com - bodyrestmattress Resources and Information.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for your help in providing alternative sources for PET mattresses. It is good news to learn that the mattresses are made of recycled plastic bottles and are 100% recyclable. This simulataneously solves both problems of used water bottles and old mattresses filling up the landfills. Plus this may be the solution for those who don’t want flame retardant chemicals AND have allergy sensitivities as it does not produce dust, harbor dust mites nor mold.

I immediately went to both links (Indratech and Green Karma), studied them, and wrote to inquire about the presence of rubber accelerators and phthalates. I hope they answer back. Also, I gave a mention of this site to them as a my referral… so maybe they will stop in and contribute!

While beyond the scope (and possibly interest) of this site, don’t let the word “rubber” in rubber accelerators fool you. They are used in other products such as antabuse, and as an antimicrobial in fungicides and soaps (Allergic Contact Dermatitis).

I am most thankful for your leads… this saves me hours of research. Thank you.

Hi Happy.gal,

You’re welcome.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, I contacted the Bodyrest mattress as you suggested regarding availability of their Green Karma mattresses made of PET. Unfortunately, the company no longer exists. It has been bought out and the Green Karma line has been dropped. I have a call to the supplier, Indratech, as well as an email, but they have not responded to either. Any other leads for the PET mattresses? Thank you.

Hi Happy.gal,

Airweave would be the only other item that comes to mind presently. Perhaps there are some other more knowledgeable people here on the forum who are aware of other similar items.

You may also wish to contact Pure Crafted Beds. While not listed on their web site, I believe they make an all-PET fiber bed for collegiate use (through their factory Capitol Bedding) and they may be able to create something for you.

Phoenix