All Latex Mattress - Mattress Protector affecting feel?

Hello Pheonix,

I had received my medium All Dunlop Latex Mattress, and got a mattress protector with it from the store where I got the mattress from. I had put the provided mattress protector on and my sheets and tried it for a few nights. After a week, I felt like it was not the same mattress I tried in the store. It felt softer and as if it did not provide me with the great support I felt in the store. I had gone back to the store and decided to order the Firm All Dunlop instead. Right after, I returned home and remove the mattress protector because that was a variable that did not exist when I was trying it in the store and wanted to see what the effect would be. Indeed, the feeling was much different without the protector. But now that I removed it and notice the difference in feel, I am not so sure I made the right decision (I can still call to cancel the new order and stick with medium, provided I figure out what to do with the protector).

The protector is by RestGuard and is described as :
Top Cover Material: 80% Cotton, 20% Polyester. Waterproof Laminate :100% Polyurethane.
Skirt Material & Elastic Cover: 100% Polyester. By looking at it, it has a layer of shower curtain…I don’t really understand much about the mattress protectors, but can they really change how a mattress feels significantly?

What would you recommend doing? Should I buy a recommended mattress protector from Post #89 (one of the three types) and try to see if it still feels the same as without the protector? OR should I go ahead with the exchanging it with the firm mattress? I don’t want to order a new mattress protector and find out it too affects the feel of the Latex and is making it softer. Perhaps I should just accept that any kind of protector would change the feel compared to trying a mattress without a protector, and thus get the Firm Dunlop Mattress and then throw on the same protector I had with the medium mattress?

One more thing: My goal is to recreate the same settings of the mattress I tried in the store and have it at my own set up at home. With my current Mattress, I purchased a platform bed with slats installed 3" apart. In the store, I had tried the mattress on a KD Foundation with slats 2" apart. Is there any chance that may be contributing to the feel of the mattress at home and possible any variance in the feel there? I have the option to remove the slats and purcahse the same KD Foundation I tried it with in the store for an Extra 200$…Is it worth doing it for just the peace of mind and knowing as many variables as possible have been removed? Or would the difference in feel between the slats and the KD Foundation be very minimal and I shouldn’t even bother?

Thanks,

Viper.

Thanks very much Pheonix!

Hi wssviper,

With regard to the mattress protector:

It’s not uncommon for people to find that a mattress protector changes the feel of the mattress, although it is a bit unique that you find the mattress softer. I am wondering if the protector is reducing how much the latex conforms to you and therefore you feel less ‘pushback’ from the latex in the various parts of you that feel it when the protector is off, and the latex can conform without anything restricting it. That’s just a guess.

If you happened to have any jersey knit sheets, you could try using them in place of the protector you have now. That would be more in line with the material in a stretch knit cotton mattress protector, and might give you the chance to experiment. If you do have jersey knit, double up on the layering if you can since protectors (at least the one I have) is much thicker than a single sheet.

Also, when you tried the mattress with the protector off, did you put all the sheets back on? They too can impact the feel to some degree.

I think it’s the foundation. Going from 2" slat spacing to 3" is going to make is softer.

It could depend. The type of wood and construction could also factor in (some slat systems are designed to flex, others are rigid). For example, 3" spacing with 1x6" slats vs 2" spacing with 1x2" slats. My gut is the 1x6" one would feel firmer and more solid, simply because there’s more wood.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t one of the benefits of latex that you don’t really need a mattress protector (i.e. it’s very durable)?

It’s rubber :slight_smile:

[quote=“The_brooke” post=32019]Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t one of the benefits of latex that you don’t really need a mattress protector (i.e. it’s very durable)?

It’s rubber :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Hi The_brooke,

It’s recommended to use a mattress protector (even with latex) to keep the mattress clean from fluids, oils, dead skin, etc., as you use it. Using a mattress protector may be helpful to avoid a warranty claim rejection if you make a warranty claim (many warranties state the mattress must be free from stains and be clean for a warranty claim to be honored). Using a mattress protector may also be required by some companies to honor a comfort exchange.

Hi wssviper,

Yes … I’m not sure of the specifics of your protector but based on your description it appears to be one of the thinner membrane type of protectors. A protector can certainly can change the feel of a mattress … some more than others … but the post you referred to has more information about how each one can affect the feel of a mattress.

As dn mentioned … a mattress protector will normally be somewhat “neutral” or make a mattress feel firmer not softer because thicker protectors can reduce the ability of the latex to contour to your body to some degree and protectors that are less stretchy and fit tightly across the surface can create a “drum effect” on the mattress surface both of which most people would perceive as feeling firmer. I don’t know why you would perceive the mattress as feeling softer with the protector because this certainly isn’t the norm but what each person feels on a mattress can be unique so the “why” isn’t as important as the fact that you do. As dn also mentioned your sheets can also play a role in how a mattress “feels”.

Of course if your protector is more of a mattress pad (that is padded with foam or fiber) than a thinner protector then this could explain why it feels softer to you but I suspect that this isn’t the case with your protector.

You already seem to have one of the three types (the thin membrane type although it may be helpful if you could link to the details of your protector). Is the surface stretchy at all or does it have any padding? I would probably tend to sleep on your mattress for a little longer (about 30 days if possible) so you can go through the initial break in and adjustment period which would give you a better sense of what may need to change in your mattress if after than it’s still too soft or if you are having any pressure or alignment symptoms on the mattress (or even if it’s just the “feel” you want to change). Typically the type of thin membrane protector that you have will not have as much effect on the feel of the mattress as it seems to have for you so I’m not sure if you would feel the same thing with another type of protector that is similar.

If it does turn out to be too soft after 30 days or so and you have pressure or alignment symptoms (or still don’t like the “feel”) then it would make sense to exchange it for a firmer version if that’s an option that is available to you.

It would depend on how much the slats were bending in comparison to each other but if they were both rigid and non flexing foundations then this would normally have less effect than some of the other factors that can affect the firmness/softness of a mattress. You could always try the mattress on the floor which is the firmest possible support surface and doesn’t flex at all to see if it makes any significant difference compared to your platform bed which would help you identify any effect your platform bed is having and then decide what to do accordingly.

@ The_brooke,

As dn mentioned … a mattress protector is to protect the mattress and keep the sleeping surface clean and hygienic as well as to make sure you don’t invalidate the warranty with a stain on your mattress. While latex is a very durable material … it’s always a good idea to use a protector on a mattress. There are also some things that can soften or break down latex prematurely (you can see a list of them here)

Phoenix

Sorry to hijack this thread :slight_smile:

I read through all of the links. I have had the same “drumming” problem with my protector. It was a cheep terry one from Amazon (Malouf). It doesn’t stretch at all.

Do the “protect-a-bed” ones stretch? After looking at all the different products, I’m considering their Luxury or Thermasleep models.

Cheers

Brooke

Hi The_brooke,

I’m not personally familiar with the Protect-A-Bed mattress protectors but hopefully some of the members here that are using the Protect-A-Bed will share their experience with you about how it feels on their mattress. A forum search on protect-a-bed (you can just click this) will also bring up some feedback about them.

You can see a video here about the Protect-A-Bed that may give you some sense of its stretch (at about 2 minutes 17 seconds into the video) and it also has stretch sides so I don’t think it would create a drum effect on your mattress.

Many retailers I’ve talked with also think highly of them for use with their memory foam and latex mattresses because they have very little effect on the “feel” of the mattress and they consider them to be among the better choices for this type of protector. Like all these types of protectors though I’ve also seen some comments that a few people either sleep warmer or can feel or hear the breathable membrane underneath them.

Phoenix

Hi Pheonix,

I found the mattress protector I have online,. Does this give you any kind of valueable information as with regards to what type of mattress cover this is?
http://www.thebugstore.ca/ecommerce/rest-guard-fully-enclosed-dust-mite-and-bed-bug-cover-queen-size-60-x80.html

I think I found the issue. I believe it is the mattress protector. Like dn said more accurately, it feels softer to me but I would actually describe it as if the Latex is pushing back less, or is “less springy” causing my perception of the PPP to change quite a bit. I don’t that push back I did in the store as I do with the mattress protector on. I removed the mattress protector and kept everything else the same, and indeed, the “springiness” returned and it feels very much like the same mattress I tested in the store. Overall, I think I do well with firmer surfaces, so ordering the Firm version of the latex will yield a suitable mattress for me (I hope so :)). I plan on trying the same mattress protector I have been provided with by the mattress seller and seeing how that would affect the feel of the firm mattress. If it alters the feel of that too, I would like to look into a new, high quality mattress protector. However, if I could have your feedback first as with regards to the protector I have and if it really falls into the thin membrane category (which would should minimize the effect on the mattress feel, well then I will need to do some digging I suppose.

Thanks so much for your support,

Viper

Hi wssviper,

The link doesn’t work (it brings up a page that says the domain expired).

I think though that it is a fully enclosed mattress encasement which is designed to protect you from bed bugs and dust mite allergies. There is more about these in post #2 here. If it has a waterproof membrane and no padding like this or this then it would also function like one of the thin membrane type protectors except it fully encloses your mattress instead of fitting on your mattress like a fitted sheet. If it’s one of the padded ones they sell like this then it would function more as either a combination mattress protector/mattress pad (if it’s the version that is waterproof) or as a mattress pad (if it just has the quilted surface).

I’m not familiar with the one you have so you are in a better position to know how it affects the feel of your mattress (which you’ve described in your previous posts).

Phoenix

I looked at all the RestGuard and I think I got to the bottom of it. The box in which my mattress protector comes in calls it a Mattress Cover with a 15" Skirt size. It is described as a Fitted Sheet Design. It claims to protect against Allergens, provides waterproof protection, protects against ant bacterial germs, stains and Dust Mites. The closets thing that I can see on their website that matches this description is the top product seen in this link (The Water-proof mattress protector - Mattress Cover (Fitted Sheet Design): Taperly Products | Quilted Mattress Cover

It has no zipper or anything so I do not believe it is this

Indeed, it fully encloses the mattress (using the skirt I think?) and has a protection type “towel material” on top of the mattress. So from your links, it seems as if I have the mattress protector/pad (since it is the waterproof version). Does this mean I do not have the thin memberane type of protectors ? Which of the 3 categories from post 89 would the product in the above link fit into? Is it more likely then to impact the feel of the latex mattress? Thanks Pheonix!

Hi wssviper,

It sounds like the one you have is 5 sided (doesn’t fully enclose the mattress and have a zipper) which is more like a mattress protector or mattress pad than a mattress encasement (which is used for allergies and bedbugs).

The top is quilted and probably uses polyester fibers so it would be thicker and add some surface softness to the mattress but because it’s thicker it would also interfere to some degree with the compression of the latex and its ability to contour to your body shape. It has a waterproof membrane so it also performs the function of a mattress protector unlike the one that is double quilted which would probably have a little more padding (again polyester fiber) but lacks the waterproof layer.

Out of the mattress protectors it would be closest to the “thin membrane type” in terms of its waterproofing method (they both use a semi breathable waterproof membrane) but it also has padding which the thin membrane types don’t have so it would be more like one of the fiberbed mattress pads mentioned here (with a semi breathable / waterproof membrane) which generally use a lower quality polyester fiber than the “down alternative” versions which use a similar but higher quality and slicker and more “slippery” polyester fiber which feels more like down.

There really isn’t a clear “boundary” in terms of defining which is which (protector vs mattress pad) because some of the wool protectors also use wool as a quilting material (which provides breathability and temperature control and is water resistant) which can also have a bigger effect on how the latex underneath it contours and compresses but in general protectors are designed primarily to protect the mattress and have less effect on the feel of the mattress while mattress pads are designed to add a little bit of surface padding and softness to the mattress and affect the “feel” more.

Phoenix