All Natural Latex vs. Memory Foam layed with HR and HD PU Mattress

Hi Phoenix, I recently visited the website for Select A Bed. I spoke with Brad, on of the consultants who told me that per my concerns, he thought the Tri-pedic Platinum will be a good match for my needs. Here is the composition, 4" 4 lb. 10 OLD MF, 2" 5 lb 16 ILD MF and 3" HR PU foam with a bamboo cover and theier optional Airflow Transfer System which was recommend since I told him I sleep quite hot with my current mattress. Price is about $1800. I then spoke with Flexus Comfort who I visited last saturday and asked James why they only use natural latex and not layer some of their products with MF. He explained they don’t like using MF because there are chemicals in it. Price they want for any combination of layers for a 10" with cotton/wool for the cover is around $1500 and there are no chemicals injected in any of their all natural latex materials. I’m thinking it actual makes more sense since my wife is highly allergic to a lot of things plus the overall cost is also much better. So by going all natural latex 3" soft talalay, 3" firm and 3" extra firm over a natural cotton and wool cover be a safe bet? We could adjust the configuration of the layering to better suit our comfort level of course. The main question though is this, am I going in the right direction by leaning more towards Flexus or should I continue to do more research and give Select A Bed a visit? Again, your thoughts are highly appreciated.

Hi pinoyski,

Post #2 here and the posts it links to has more information about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and green mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and decide on the types of materials you are most comfortable having in your mattress and help you answer “how safe is safe enough for me”. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, and specific criteria.

Unfortunately there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for someone else to be able to predict which specific mattress is the best “match” for you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance”. There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress that can help you identify and minimize the risks involved in each of them in post #2 here. There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in post #13 here. I would keep in mind that the choice of materials in a mattress is a preference choice and not so much a “better/worse” choice.

There is also more about the pros and cons of latex vs memory foam in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks for the insight. I will be exploring MF mattresses vs. natural latex. I have decided to stay away from innerspring mattresses so I can isolate and simplify my continuing search. Therefore we will be visiting some retail stores in our area just to have a point of comparison and then narrow down our choices. I also had a chance to read some of your thoughts on foundations that go well with the mattress as I have learned that having a solid piece of 1/2" plywood on top of our bed frame which already has existing slats might not be such a good idea as this can restrict airflow and can accumulate moisture and thus could more conducive to dust mites and other undesirable inhabitants within our bed set. This was actually evidenced by some dark spots I observed under our existing mattress when I opened up the cover to see what was inside the zippered mattress cover. Wow, I’m just learning so much useful information from you. I can’t thank you enough. I will be posting more comments if and when we come up with our final decision. Now that I know a little better, I will take my time.

Hi pinoyski,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any other comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix