All Natural Memory Foam Topper

Hi Phoenix,

I recall a number of months ago reading a posting of yours that referenced a type of mattress topper that was either memory foam or something similar, but was “all natural”. At the time you mentioned that the company and mattress topper was perhaps somewhat overlooked. Do you recall this post or the topper that I am referring to?

We are looking for a 1-2 inch topper to finish out our mattress build. We purchased the terrific Berkeley Ergonomics talalay mattress from Scott Jordan here in NYC and it is great. We have been experimenting with adding a topper to it, and have found that it works well. However the topper we are currently using is standard memory foam and part of the reason why we went with the all talalay mattress was because of the “all natural” nature of the material. In short we wanted to get away from memory foam.

Thus I am hoping you can point me to the post above or perhaps a great mattress topper alternative that feels like memory foam but isn’t. We are looking for something very soft for this final piece but perhaps 1-2 inches in depth at most.

Thanks for your help!

Hi jet551,

Only memory foam really “feels like” memory foam but I’m guessing that you may be talking about “slow recovery latex” which has some similarities to memory foam because it also has a slow recovery recovery time and low resilience like memory foam. Arizona Premium sells it here.

I would keep in mind though that it’s a blend of synthetic and natural latex so it’s certainly not “all natural” and that it will likely feel firmer than most memory foams.

There is also more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable supplier that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. It also includes a link to a list of some of the better online sources for toppers I’m aware of as well.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix,

Yes the 24 ILD on the Arizona Premium is going to be way too high for my needs. I’m considering either the Aerus or Sensus memory foam topper in either 2" or 3". Those seem to be the consensus safest picks for memory foam toppers after spending some time going through the forums.

For us, this is going on a Berkeley Ergonomics talalay mattress that we recently purchased through Scott Jordan. Great experience with them so far and the mattress is working out so well, we bought a second one.

As always, thanks so much for your incredible help.

Hi jet551,

I’m looking forward to finding out about which topper you end up purchasing … and of course any feedback you have the chance to share once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix