Allergy cover over latex mattress

Hi. Great forum with lots of info. I was wondering if it’s ok to use an allergy cover over a 100% latex mattress. The covers are somewhat air tightish and I’ve read that latex mattresses should breath. Thanks!

i will tell you this. i have put a protector on my memory foam mattress, one of the regular kind that goes on like a sheet, on the underside of the protector its a plastic like material, it absolutely kills the comfort of the mattress.

its made to be breathable and protest against allergy’s and all of that but it almost feels like sleeping on a plain old hard mattress,

without the protector its like sleeping on a cushy cloud that conforms to my body. i think any type of protector with a plastic like material is going to make your memory foam type of bed allot less comfortable.

Yeah, Phoenix replied to another guy in the mattress protector and memory foam thread about basically that. Plasticky stuff will always be less comfortable. Synthetic protectors can do a good job, but be less breathable. Natural will not protect from major spills or puddles, but will be the most breathable for the most part. Comfort depends on the material, and the thickness.

Hi booyyah,

You can read more about allergy encasements and dust mites in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

If your main concern is to use a 6 sided mattress encasement as part of a strategy to protect against dust mites and allergens then I would generally suggest one of the more breathable encasements without the membrane because these are meant to remain around the mattress on a semi permanent basis and will allow better airflow and then you can use a waterproof or water resistant mattress protector (see post #89 here) that can be more easily removed and cleaned on a regular basis and will only affect the airflow on the top surface of the mattress instead of all around the mattress (in the case of a waterproof membrane type protector).

Phoenix