Almost a month on 10" Tuft and Needle update, also dust mite info...

I originally had this in the 10" TN diary, but it turned into a long post, but I started my own thread, hope that’s okay! And I also have included some dust mite information that might be helpful to someone? That is towards the end of the message…

Hi all.

A final update after 3 1/2 weeks on the 10" Queen, new top foam version of the Tuft and Needle.

We are going to keep the mattress. Both my husband and I (he’s a side and stomach sleeper, I’m a back and side sleeper) have adjusted to the mattress, and are getting both support and pressure point relief (something I have trouble with on a lot of mattresses).

Firmness: Yes, the mattress has softened up just a bit. I have a hard time quantifying the real amount, because after 1 week, we changed foundation types (we are now on an all wood, knock down foundation from mattresses.net), and it did become firmer after the foundation change. However, I do think the surface feels a tiny bit “springy” and softer than when we got it. My initial assessment was firm mattress, now I would maybe place it on the high medium-firm end (this is so subjective, but I’m comparing to when I’ve been mattress shopping and the labels the stores were giving mattresses).

Odor: Was not very detectable the first 2 days, days 3 and 4 were the worst for us. Still there right up until a day or two short of 3 weeks. Now, after 3 1/2 weeks, I don’t notice any odor when getting into bed, or when changing the sheets. The first week and a half, even the sheets had the odor when removing from the bed- I was removing the bedding during the day the first week plus.

One thing of note. I find myself negatively responding to anything that I’ve tried to use as a mattress cover, including a simple, non-membrane, all cotton “allergy dust mite” mattress encasement cover, about the size of a thick, crisp cotton sheet (I assume so crisp due to small pore size). I’ve also tried our old thick, polyfill mattress pad (big mistake), an organic stretch cotton protector (we had before). I also have tried two new polyurethane membrane covers, a knit cotton top (Gotcha Covered) and a bamboo cover (Greenzone). Just out of curiosity, I put the 1" polyfoam topper on our guest futon onto the TN, and on all of these versions, I developed pressure points in my shoulders (some my hips). But on the TN mattress foam itself with just a flannel sheet on top, I feel totally no pressure point pain. With just a sheet, I can really feel the comfortable qualities of the foam come through.

However, my husband notices not much difference with any changes I made (except when the thick polyfill mattress pad was on the bed). I wonder if it’s because I am a lighter weight, and I also have fibromyalgia, and know I"m more sensitive.

I talked to Tuft and Needle about this, and they said they haven’t had any other customers have this particular problem that they have heard from. The two reasons I wanted a mattress cover is because my husband tends to sweat at night, and dust mite protection. They gave me some tips on how to control his sweating (such as natural fiber sheets and blankets), and also said they designed the mattress and cover to wick excess heat away (not sure what this actually means, but we haven’t slept hot on it except the one night I kept the room heater on too high at night!). I will admit that the prior 10 years, I’ve had always had a thick, polfyfilled mattress pad on the bed- and never realized maybe that was contributing to his overheating.

Since sleeping with anything besides a sheet on the mattress negatively affects my comfort, we are going to forego the mattress protector, although on my husband’s side, I did put a an extra piece of flannel partially on his side, under the top sheet (from my quilting days) “just in case”. The Tuft and Needle does have a knit protector on it, and although it isn’t meant to be washed, TN confirmed that it can be spot cleaned if necessary. We don’t drink anything in bed, and don’t have pets or kids in the bed, so I think this will be okay.

Tuft and Needle claims polyfoam tends not to encourage dust mite growth because it is dense, unlike say innerspring mattresses, where there is a lot of hollow space for mites and dander to accumulate. I did read some studies in the medical literature, and there is some evidence for this, and further evidence that while dust mite mattress covers do keep dust mite levels low, they haven’t been shown to help very much with allergy symptoms for people who are allergic to dust mites (perhaps because dust mites are all around our homes, not just our mattress). One of the dust mite studies is available free and not behind a firewall if anyone wants to read it. And older study, but others have been done since then with similar results: www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa023171 We do still have dust mite covers on our pillows. My personal experience is that plain old changing the pillow cases every few nights helps the most, even before we had allergy encasements on our pillows… I may vacuum the mattress every once in awhile, and I’ve always been one to change the sheets every 5-7 days too, pillowcases more often.

Thanks for this wonderful forum Phoenix. I’ve learned a lot. Took a risk with the Tuft and Needle, but after spending hours in local stores not finding quite the right fit, but narrowing it down to my muscles liking polyfoam the best, not latex nor memory foam, I decided to give the new version of Tuft and Needle a try after reading the reviews and specs. MU was where I first learned about the redesign (I was hesitant to try before this after reading so many reviews of pressure point pain on side sleepers in the old version) and here I learned that the polyfoams that Tuft and Needle uses in the new design are okay quality.

I will admit this to being one of the easy mattress buying experiences we’ve had, sort of. A lot of time went into online research, a bit of apprehension about buying a mattress untried, but the actual ordering, delivery and setup were a breeze.

Thanks everyone! And I hope everyone enjoys their TN as much as I’ve come to like mine. There were some adjustments and some hickups, but now I’m happy and sleeping well!

Hi sheep123,

Thanks for taking the time to share your additional comments and feedback in such detail … I appreciate it.

I also agree with Tuft & Needle that you appear to be much more sensitive than most regarding the effect of some of the thinner mattress protectors on your mattress because most people don’t seem to notice the effect of some of the thinner mattress protectors you’ve tried.

I also appreciate the link to the study about dust mites. The results are interesting because all the participants were tested for dust mite sensitivity and were clearly affected by dust mite allergens and the study also made clear that the mattress allergy encasements reduced the dust mite populations in the mattresses relative to encasements that didn’t protect against dust mites and yet in spite of their clear sensitivity to dust mite allergens the mattress encasements didn’t have any measurable effect on their symptoms vs the unprotected mattresses. This is certainly curious and the only explanations that seems top make sense are that the increase in the dust mite populations in the mattresses weren’t enough to cross their sensitivity threshold, that it may take longer for the dust mite populations and the allergens they produce to build to a level that would affect them, or (most likely) that a single method of controlling dust mite allergens isn’t particularly effective unless it is part of a more comprehensive multi-pronged strategy. I also agree with you that other methods of dust mite and allergen control may be more effective than an allergy encasement. In any case I’ve added a link to the study in my comments about dust mite allergies in post #2 here … and thanks :slight_smile:

A mattress protector (vs an allergy encasement) may still be worth the tradeoff in how it affects the “feel” of a mattress for many people though because most people wouldn’t be as sensitive as you and because it can be removed and washed more easily than a mattress cover and can help keep your sleeping surface in a cleaner and more hygienic condition. It can also protect a mattress against stains which in most cases will void a warranty (including if there is any visible evidence of spot removal such as watermarks).

It’s great to see that you and your mattress are getting along so well!

Phoenix

I agree for most people, a mattress protector is the best choice, and TN said they haven’t had anyone else write them to mention that they can feel any difference in the foam quality with a thin mattress protector. I worry a little about no mattress protector, however, my side of all the mattress protectors we’ve had stays in pristine condition over years- probably helps I tend to sleep cool, and don’t drink in bed, no pets or kids on the bed. I tend to use high quality sheets that are not see through, so there is that. I may play around with some of my softer summer sheets that I already have and see if I could use one of those as a base layer sheet, then a sheet on top, that would add a little layer of protection. I really didn’t know until reading on MU how much even sheets can change the feel of a mattress!

I forgot to mention that Tuft and Needle did make one suggestion for my husband’s side of the mattress if it’s something I’m worried about. They recommended getting a twin size protector for his side of the bed, this particular one: Naturepedic mattress protector, and I may just do this. He doesn’t seem to notice any differences in the TN mattress foam with all the protectors I put on, and I’ve asked him.

Thanks again for the help, I am sleeping well now!