Almost narrowed it down Temp Cloud Luxe comparison, just a few more questions....

Yesterday I went to my local Furniture Row store (Denver mattress being the mattress department) and I really liked the feel of the Tempurpedic Cloud Lux mattress. I however did not like the price. They had a 10% off discount due to a local competitor offering it cheaper and I got an additional 5% off for being a premier member card holder through their store. After a total of 15% discount I was still going to end up paying $3994. Nope, NOT going to do it!!

I came home and started to do some research and ran across this website (which is really awesome by the way) and i’ve been reading almost non stop since yesterday afternoon!!

I’ve narrowed it down to these 3 that seem to be the general consensus to be the closest to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe (please correct me if i’ve left any out, or you have any additional input) They’re in order from highest to lowest price.

-Select Foam Cirrus Luxe $2299

-Brooklynbedding Cool Luxe $1299 (includes 5% discount or being TMU member)

-Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam from Amazon.com $967

My obvious goal is to find the closest feel of the Temp Cloud luxe for the cheapest price. What i’m not sure of is if higher price will get me closer to the feel (I understand no bed will feel exactly like the Temp cloud) or will the cheapest option get me just as close. I do like the fact that Brooklynbedding offers 1 exchange or return free of charge no shipping or restocking fee on our iPedic Cool/Pure Cool Series, so if I decide I want something softer or firmer i’m not stuck with a bunch of charges.

I’ve seen where Admin Phoenix was able to look up by zip to see if there are any reputable stores in a specific area, so Phoenix if you’re reading this my zip is 62656. Hook me up!! LOL

Now on to the next subject. Bases. I have Woo King size frame with head & foot board. My current set up with box spring & mattress is about 24" off the ground. I want to stick to this height or more (preferably a little more) Some of the sights have the option of adding a base for the price of about $400. Is a base something I can get at my local mattress store for cheaper? If so, are is there anything I need to make sure it has (I understand it needs to be very firm, yet breathable)

Is a frame something I could build myself? I do carpentry work in my spare time so i’m quite capable of building one, but need to know what it needs to have to get all the advantages of my new mattress.

Thank you in advance for any input you can send my way!!

Troy

Hi Lucky8926,

Higher prices usually reflect either higher density foam (which is more durable) or more costly materials. Some materials have specific properties such as gel additions or higher performance properties or raw material cost that are not a matter of durability but can affect the “feel” or performance of a mattress.

There are several ways that one mattress can match or approximate another and there is more about this in post #9 here. Some will match the overall “feel”, some will match in terms of pressure relief/support, some will match in terms of the quality of the materials, and some will match in terms of design and some will match in more than one way. Most of the ones you are mentioning will at least be a good approximation in terms of what most people “feel” or what I call PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) even though they may not be the same design.

All of the options you are mentioning are members of the site, compete well with the best in the industry in terms of quality, value, and service, and would make good choices with no obvious weak links.

Post #2 here has more about making final choices between “good and good” when there are no obvious winners and depending on the criteria that are most important to you. There are really no “mistakes” in your final choices although two of them (the Cirrus Luxe and the Cool Luxe) both have very good return policies which may be an important part of your choice.

The prices you mentioned appear to be a little off as well.

For King size …

Select Foam Cirrus Luxe = $2299 - 5% TMU Discount

Brooklyn Bedding Cool Luxe = $1499 - TMU 5% discount

Ultimate Dreams 13" gel memory foam = $967.96 plus TMU bonus pillow.

Some of the better options I’m aware of in the Springfield, Peoria, Champaign area are listed in post #2 here.

The foundation post here has more information and many good options for foundations and with a memory foam mattress there will likely be some suitable options that are used with major brand mattresses at local stores as well for a reasonable cost (you need a firm non flexing and evenly supportive surface).

Any manufacturer will tell you whether a foundation you are considering will meet their warranty requirements.

You could certainly build one yourself and there are a couple of DIY options with detailed instructions that two of the members here added to the forum (listed in the foundation thread with one under KD foundations and the other under platform beds) that you could use as a guideline.

Phoenix

Phoenix thank you for the reply! It makes a lot of sense about the price differences between different mattresses due to their make up and foam quality and properties.

Thanks for the price correction too, not sure where I got that number for the Brooklyn. With all the helpful information i’ve received here, I don’t really feel the need to check any local stores now. I feel comfortable enough ordering online!!

The foundation information really helped too, I think i’m going to tackle it on my own and save some money. It will be a hybrid between the two that were posted.

I’m still looking for about a 30 day or longer sleep review from someone or a couple people that have purchased the Brooklyn Bedding Cool Luxe. It’s what i’m leaning toward and just hearing from some more satisfied customers will definitely push me toward making the purchase tomorrow!!

Hi Lucky8926,

If you make your own it would be great to have some pictures and any instruction information you can share so I can add it to the list of DIY designs :slight_smile:

Hopefully some of the members here that have had their Cool Luxe for a month or more will see your post and chime in although I would also keep in mind that each person will have their own unique experience and perceptions on any mattress based on their body type, sleeping positions, and preferences.

Phoenix

I decided to go ahead and rose the cool luxe. I wish I would’ve ordered it before noon because it would’ve went out yesterday, now I have to wait until Monday before it gets shipped. Oh well…

If I decide to build my own foundation, which I’m really leaning toward. I will make sure I take some pics and post them up! Mario at BB gave me some pointers on what needs to be done such as firm base with slats no more than about 3"-3.5" apart, but I had already read that on here. I asked if a home made base would cause any warranty issues and he said it wouldn’t as long as it meets what he suggested.

I’ll keep everyone updated on how it goes!

Hi Lucky8926,

Congratulations on your new mattress … I think you made a great choice.

I’m also looking forward to seeing your DIY foundation :slight_smile:

Phoenix

My BB cloud luxe was deliverd a day early! The Fedex guy looked puzzled when I opened the door and said, man this is one heavy box!!! (140 lbs to be exact) I told him it was a mattress, and that made him look even more puzzled. He said “how is there a mattess in this box? It’s heavy enough but not near big enough” I explained its a memory foam vacuum sealed. He just shook his head and said that’s crazy… LOL
Anyway, enough about the delivery. After I got my old queen bed broke down and vacuumed up the dust bunny city living underneath I got the new King frame set up including the base foundation I made (link to the build here- https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/building-my-own-foundation )
I got the mattress maneuvered up on to the bed, all 140 lbs of it… Then started getting the plastic off, it stared to inflate befor I got the 1st layer fully off so I had to hurry and get as much plastic off befor it was laid out. All went well.
My first impression was just as I had hoped. It felt similar to the TP Cloud luxe from what I could remember (it had a been a week since I laid on it) the smell was very minor, not a real strong bad chemical smell, but almost sweet unexplainable smell. I let it “air up” for about an hour or so and went back to retest the feel. All the reviews were correct. It’s maybe just a tiny bit firmer when you first lay down, but at this point not enough to dissapoint me or make me want to return it. The TP Cloud truly has a “cloudy” feel when you lay down on it, then you slowly sink a little and it firms up under you. The BB Cool has close to the same initial “cloudy” feel but just a tad firmer. This is one comfy bed either way!! It says wait 24-48 hours for it to fully inflate but I couldn’t wait that long to sleep on it. I’m glad I didn’t wait. I had a great night sleep! I didn’t sleep horrible on my old mattress, but it was 13 years old and I would wake up with a sore lower back some times. My back was still a little sore today, but not like it has been, and they say it takes a few weeks for your body to adjust to a new bed. The only complaint I have about this mattess is edge support. If you sit on the edge it compresses quite a bit. I read a review someone else did and the mentioned the same thing except worse. If they laid on the very edge it compressed enough that they would roll out (he even showed pictures). I tested that out and it must be an issue the fixed because I laid my 185 lb body at the very edge for about one minute and it did compress but not to the point that I would roll off. Nothing close to the pictures he posted. Good job BB!
So, all in all after 1 night sleep and initial impressions I’m satisfied and glad I went with it. I’ll try and keep everyone posted on how it’s doing over the next few months.

Hi Lucky8926,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to the pictures of your foundation when you have the chance to post them and I’ll link them in the foundation post as well.

Phoenix