Alternatives to Tempurpedic ProAdapt Firm in Honolulu, Hawaii?

Hello,
After sleeping on a couch for 23 years, I finally bought a Serta perfect sleeper ( Soft ), however, within two years the mattress firmness degraded substantially and I’ve been experiencing very poor quality sleep with back pain and it is amplifying my various injury pains.

I’ve been doing a lot of research and found that my favorite mattress is the Tempurpedic ProAdapt firm, second favorite being a combination Latex mattress I tried called the Aireloom Cardiff firm, however, there would be too much transference of movement on the mattress ( when my partner/cat moves ).

I am looking for a Queen or King size mattress in Honolulu, Hawaii. There are no local manufacturers who produce this type of mattress so I am wondering if I should just purchase it from Slumberworld Hawaii. It would come with a 3 month return policy and 2 year mattress upgrade ( if I purchase a waterproof cover ). However, the price would be $3,299 ( Queen ) and $3,999 ( King ) from Slumberworld ( $1,000 over the Tempurpedic advertised price online ) https://www.tempurpedic.com/shop-mattresses/tempur-proadapt/v/2618/

According to another post I’ve seen here the comfort layer was only 1.6lbs density for this mattress, however, in the showroom I felt perfectly aligned and comfortable. I was wondering if there were any other alternatives that I am overlooking?

I considered going the DIY route, however, I am worried that I would not be satisfied with my choices and it would take me several tries to get the perfect match that would come out to a similar price to the Tempurpedic after shipping costs to Hawaii.

I usually fall asleep on my back or side, however, I sleep extremely hot and will constantly move and sleep in extremely strange positions for unknown reasons sometimes propping myself up against the wall or sleeping with my head on the window next to the bed.

Hi Dmeowmixer!

Welcome to our Mattress Forum :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear about the short-lived Serta … not such a “perfect sleeper” after all. I agree that lower back pains can be often an indication of foam breakdown and mattress sag compromising a neutral spinal alignment. Soft foams in mattresses are also breaking down much faster then firmer ones.

Yes, your options in Honolulu Hawaii are fairly limited and most US companies do not offer free shipping to HI. The local www.slumberworldhawaii.com/ carries several major brands, (Sealy and Simmons and Tempurpedic) which generally I would tend to avoid unless you have a confirmed/complete set of specifications and knowing that you’ll pay more for the brand than you pay for similar mattresses of better or same quality from other companies. Just in case you did not come across, I’d read the mattress specifications you need to know so that you can ensure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here ) Slumber (Maui) reps were quite open about the materials in the mattresses they carried if customers asked so if you decide to go with the ProAdapt I would confirm with them the component specs (many brands change material specifications in their lineups over time.) Slumberworld reps seem to be genuinely concerned about their customer’s long-term satisfaction so they may be willing to confirm those for you. Of the local retail outlets … this would be my first choice for testing but avoiding the major brands they carry may mean their selection is more limited.

I understand why you would have concerns about going the DIY route, but depending on your budget I would still consider DIY as an option (at least to turn some more stones and other choices). With local testing and good planning for any possible layer exchanges, if things don’t turn out as well as you hoped for, you may still find something of better (or same) quality for a lower price point. If you go this route, I’d recommend that you ask for the assistance of one of our experts. You may wish to read this interaction between MFC, one of our mattress experts located in Canada and a consumer to match the feel ProAdapt mattress with MFC’s recommended layers, materials, layer density,
A search on the website of the retailer mentioned by that consumer revealed the following specifications for the ProAdapt Firm you are looking at, and if these are still the specs there would be no red flag in terms of quality and how long this mattress would last.

[indent]Quilt: Smart Climate Dual Cover
Cool to Touch
Comfort Layers: 1.2" Tempur APR Material 5.0lbs
2.0" Tempur Material 4.1lbs
Support System: 9.1" base layer, 1.6lbs
Mattress type: Memory foam, temperature regulating, power base compatible [/indent]

You may also wish to see some more insights from other consumer subscribers who have purchased the ProAdapt (Medium) in post #8, this consumer discusses her experience with the Tempurpedic ProAdapt mattress versus her husband’s experience. Another consumer tried the ProAdapt in medium firmness but ultimately ended up with more pain.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Hawaiian islands are listed in post #269 here . There are also some topics that include some discussions and feedback with various forum members in Hawaii here and here and here and here and here and here that may also be helpful.

Frequent repositioning during the night is oftentimes an indication of an unsuitable mattress so I am glad you are in the process of replacing your current Serta. Regarding sleeping hot … while memory foam does a good job at minimizing motions transfer it will generally be the least breathable and most insulating of the foam comfort materials, and temperature can be an issue. If you do choose memory foam (regardless of being encased in a cooling material) you’d want to make sure that you don’t choose something with so much memory foam on top that you sink in too deeply. Latex would be a better option for temperature regulation as it is the most breathable and “temperature neutral” of all the different types of foam materials. There are also many other variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your sheets and bedding and bedclothes, your mattress protector or any mattress pads you are using, and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range) and some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with … there is more about tracking mattress temperature regulation issues potential causes ~ Post #2 here (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

I hope this helps a bit with your decision.
Phoenix

I am following this thread. I’m interested in recommendations to match the proadapt firm as well.

We recently got a Brooklyn signature in firm, but we didn’t realize how much we both enjoyed the memory foam feel. Don’t care for hybrid.

Need firm, looking for something similar to our previous original 20 year old Tempur pedic.

The proadapt firm had the closest feel to us so far. But do not want to spend that much.

We are between Novosbed firm, Amerisleep as1 at the moment.

Ghostbed also but I wish they made different firmness levels.

Try Winkbeds! Not hot, great all foam in MemoryLux Medium. I love it!! Had the expensive Tempupedic Pro Adapt and it was sleeping hot! Hated it. The aircell patent from Winkbeds is amazing. Check out their reviews!

Novosbed just replied to my email asking them for updated 2020 specs for Novosbed firm.

This is their reply:

Here are the specifics for the Novosbed Firm option:

Layer 1: 2" open cell memory foam 2.5lbs/ 22IFD
Layer 2: 1" open cell memory foam 2.5lbs/ 22IFD
Layer 3: 2" high density memory foam 4lbs/11IFD
Layer 4: 6" support foam 1.75lbs/38 IFD

My wife and I are on the higher end of BMI, so this likely won’t work for us.

Still looking…

I’m sorry I’m hijacking this thread

Specs from Winkbed:

MemoryLux Firm:
2" layer gel infused hypersoft pillow top (1.8 lb density, 17 ILD)
2" layer Firm AirCell (also a 2.5 lb density, 22 ILD (it pushes back more, has more resistance to weight))
2" 5- Zoned progression foam (1.5 lb density, 65 ILD)
5" Atlas core foam (1.8 lb, 28 ILD)
Quilted bottom side for extra firm feel (this mattress is flippable)

I found Amerisleep specs on their site

https://amerisleep.com/mattresses-comparison/

Their chat rep said the AS2 would be their closest to the proadapt firm