Am I paying too much?

Complements to Phoenix on an excellent website/resource. Your integrity and passion is demonstrated by the many excellent detailed & informative posts that I have read. Thank you for this resource I am a much better consumer because of it.

I am in Ontario, 5ft 9 280 lbs side sleeper looking for best pricing on 10 inch Dunlop Latex.
I found a 6 Firm with 4" Soft Organic Natural Latex for $2798 and a 3" Firm+3"med+3"soft+2" extra soft on sale for $2999 both with 1 inch wool. I found that 6" firm with 2: med and 2" soft from same store not as comfortable as the 6"+4" version.
The store has been very helpful, no sales pressure, they have many mattresses to try, and I am confident in their quality, but they are rigid in their pricing structure. I found this store in Toronto with the help of Mattress Underground information.

1. Is that pricing good? It’s quite expensive for me.
  2. Can you make a recommendation on this cost or if there are some online retailers or other stores that would have comparable product but with better pricing?
  3. Is the $2999 CAD configuration worth the extra $200 plus taxes?

I am after a high quality Organic Dunlop Latex mattress at the best/good price. I am unwilling to trade quality for pricing for comparable products.

Thank you!

Sounds a little on the higher side to me for a Dunlop bed, seems more in line with a Talalay bed. In my search the best price I found on a Natural Latex bed was Spindle Mattress, Much lower than the prices you’ve been quoted.

On my search I have spoke to the gentleman at Spindle and he was very nice and super knowledgeable. For a natural Dunlop bed there prices seem to be the lowest by far.

Hope this help???.

Thank you Bryce,
I checked Spindle and they are in USA so naturally their prices will be quite a bit lower lower.
Exchange and shipping, if they will ship to Canada ads quite a bit to the pricing. These days shipping from USA is outrageously expensive and many companies refuse Canada shipping.
Also I have found the Talalay mattresses less expensive than Dunlop here in Canada.

joe…

I’m so sorry I missed the whole Canada thing, lol. So crazy here is the US Dunlop is quite a bit cheaper than Talalay? Almost like the red headed step child of the latex family, lol. I’m sure Pheonix will have some suggestions?

Hi JJC,

While price is certainly one of the more important parts of “value” … the “value” of a mattress purchase is what is most important and price is just one of many factors that can affect the “value” of a mattress purchase. There isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” the value of a mattress because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that can affect the price of a mattress that can each be more or less important to some people and not to others who may have completely different criteria or definitions of “value”. The “value” of a mattress purchase is also relative to how a mattress compares to the other finalists you are considering or to other mattresses that are available to you in your area (or online if you are also considering online options). There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person or in one area of the country may not be good value for someone else that has very different needs and preferences or that lives in a different area.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

I don’t know all the specifics of the mattresses you are considering, the size you are looking at, or the other mattresses you are comparing it to but of the top of my head the prices appear to be reasonable in Canada.

I don’t know the prices off the top of my head so you would need to check their websites or call them to find out but the better options or possibilities I’m aware in the Toronto area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines I linkd earlier in this reply) are listed in post #1 here.

There is also a list of the better retailers and manufacturers I’m aware of that ship across Canada (both from the US and from Canada) in post #21 here that may be worth considering and/or that you can use for “value” comparisons as well.

If two mattresses were closely comparable in terms of durability and if I believed that I would be likely to sleep better on a mattress that is $200 more than another mattress then it would be worth it to me but these are decisions that each person will need to make for themselves based on all the parts of their personal value equation that are most important to them.

When you look back on a mattress purchase in a decade or more (assuming that you purchase a good quality and durable mattress) you will remember much more about how well you slept on it and how long you slept well than you will about the price you paid and relatively minor differences in price that have only a small effect on the yearly cost of ownership spread out over the years will be much less important to you.

Phoenix

Thank you for measured reply Phoenix.
Concerning the more expensive mattress. Both are equal quality, equal components and the same supplier.
The major differences are Alpaca wool cover vs regular wool, the layered construction and a split design that allows each sleeper to customize the feel.
6 Firm with 4" Soft Organic Natural Latex for $2798 and a 3" Firm+3"med+3"soft+2" extra soft for $2,999 normally $3,999.

Is the split design a stable feature? It’s not something I am likely to use and it seems to me that it creates an unstable center seem when 2 people are laying down.
Can you tell me if there are advantages to the layer and split construction versus the 6+4 inch design? $200 difference over the life of the mattress is not a big deal if it’s a better design/configuration.

joe…

Hi JJC,

If they use the same type of materials and components then they would be closely comparable in terms of durability.

[quote]The major differences are Alpaca wool cover vs regular wool, the layered construction and a split design that allows each sleeper to customize the feel.
6 Firm with 4" Soft Organic Natural Latex for $2798 and a 3" Firm+3"med+3"soft+2" extra soft for $2,999 normally $3,999.[/quote]

Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover) will have some effect on the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so two mattresses that have a different design will have a different “feel” and different properties and a different firmness level. One of the designs may be a better “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP than the other one. Some people may notice the differences between them more than others depending on their body type, sleeping positions, and on where they are in the range between “I can sleep on anything” and “princess and the pea”. The most reliable way to know which one would be the best “match” for you will be based on your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) or your own personal experience.

There is more about the pros and cons of a side by side split layer design in post #2 here.

Outside of any potential differences in that may affect PPP and how well you sleep on one or the other one … one isn’t inherently better or worse than the other one but if either or both of the mattresses are component mattresses with individual loose layers and a zip cover that allows you to access the layers then having more layers gives you more options to rearrange or exchange layers in different layering combinations so that you can customize the feel, pressure relief, or support of the mattress in different ways after a purchase if your original layering combination doesn’t work out for you as well as you hoped for (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

JJC, good look with your mattress hunt in CA, really. I am always skeptical of any deal that is X of the original deal, particularly $1000. Another gimmick is X percent where X is a large number. I’ll share that 50% off of a wrong number is still a wrong number. Did you find anything less expensive of comparable quality/value?

Thank you Mike in VA.
I agree with you on the sale and over priced to start with concept, also with $1,000 off is a heleva lot.
I did end up going ahead and buying the sale mattress which on sale was $200 more than what I was originally looking at.
I have complete confidence in the store and sales people and even finding some at a much lower price wasn’t willing to find out in the long run I had made a mistake. To be fair I also found many more mattresses that were more expensive. Cudo’s to The mattress Underground because this retailers name came from this site, along with a 5% discount even on the sale price.
I have 11 inches of Pure Organic Latex wrapped in cotton and wool. The design is split for adjusting comfort on either side, something I had concerns about the sides shifting. Absolutely no pressure either way by the salesman.
The purchase was a lot of money for me even though it was one of the lesser expensive mattresses in the store, adjusting the comfort once I purchased had absolutely no value to me, I tested different firmness levels extensively at the store and was certain what I required. And yet, sleeping on it has changed my mind a bit and I am already testing the softer side and like it better. Amazing how a very subtle difference makes.
Now a huge problem I discovered, is that it feels so good all I want to do is lay on it all day long :slight_smile:

JJC

Hi JJC,

Thanks for the update and for letting us know what you ended up deciding.

As you know I think you made a great quality choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to any additional comments and updates you have the chance to share once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a little longer … and have decided which side you like best.

Phoenix