Amount/type of foam help + Latex!

Hello friends! I’ve READ AND READ and researched and tried out so many different mattresses I want to throw up and punch myself in the face!

I want a bed that lasts. Yes, yes comfort, support, but I don’t want to throw my money down the toilet.

I’m looking for help figuring out if these mattresses are any good and the foam latex is quality.

Jordan’s (Local company)
10 inch Memory Foam $957
Quilt: Stretch Knit Polyester Cover
FR Sock
Comfort Layers: 1.5" SmarTemp Memory foam 4LB
1.5" Talalay Latex 14 ILD
Support System: 7" foam 1.8LB - 30ILD
All polyurethane and memory foam layers
are CertiPur certified
The latex is Okeo-Tex certified
Mattress Type: Latex,Memory Foam,Power Base Compatible

Name: Carpathian Firm $1297
Jordan’s Mattress Factory
Quilt: Stretch Knit Cover with Max Breeze
FR Fibers
1/2" Bio based foam 1.2LB density
1/2" Bio based foam 1.2LB density
Comfort Layers: 1" 100% Latex Rubber 28ILD
2" 100% Latex Rubber 28ILD
No Fillers
Support System: 6" Bio Based Foam Core 2.0LB 27ILD
BELOW FOAM CORE
3/4" Eco Fiber Pad
Power Base Compatible
Mattress Type: Latex
Origin: Made in New England

LAURA ASHLEY HERITAGE COLLECTION ELENA 12 INCH FOAM MATTRESS
This one we are getting a clearance price on because the warehouse has extra stock Normally 1300 we’re getting it for $900.
Breathable Stretch Knit Cover
Anti-Microbial FR Fiber
2" 3lb. FuturaGel® Gel-Infused Memory Foam
2" Ventilated Easy Breathe Foam
8" High Density Base Foam
5 Zoned Ventilated Shoulder Foam for Increased Airflow
Eco-Friendly Titan Foundation
Certi-PUR Certified US Foam

I’m also looking at AmeriSleep
3" of our Bio-Pur memory foam 4llb density… It’s our large, open -cell memory foam that is made with plant based materials
And the bottom layer is 9" of our Bio-Core Support foam.
The medium soft option has an additional layer. They have a $200 discount.

Loom and Leaf:
Support base is 5.5" of high density foam core
Transition loft pad 2". They call it a " luxurious transfer layer which rests between our support layer and memory foam layer."
-Next is 5lb visco elastic memory foam layer which is 2.5" visco elastic memory foam certified by CertiPUR-US®,

• Above that is 2" of our convoluted memory foam layer which uses a “gel-swirl” construction technique that provides even distribution,
    That’s what the sales person wrote “our convoluted memory foam layer”

My biggest worries are smell, sleeping hot, and the product lasting.

My husband and I aren’t sleeping anymore. At ALL. I can’t wait much longer, I just don’t want to waste money.

Thank you for help and advice!
Molly

Hi MOB17,

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Again nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress but outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines I linked earlier in this reply relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article). The best way to know which types of materials or mattresses you tend to prefer in general terms will be based on your own local testing or your own personal experience.

These are all good quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would be a cause for concern in terms of durability relative to more “average” weight ranges (around the lower 200’s or less) although with the 4 lb memory foam and the 1.8 lb polyfoam base layer I would be cautious if you are in a higher weight range.

The two 1/2" layers of polyfoam in the quilting are lower quality/density materials but because they are only “around an inch or so” they won’t affect the durability of the mattress.

All the other materials are good quality materials so there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise the durability or useful life of this mattress even relative to higher weight ranges.

This mattress is a latex/polyfoam hybrid that uses latex in the comfort layers and the first one you listed is a memory foam mattress and uses memory foam in comfort layers so they are in completely different categories. Latex and memory foam are very different materials with very different properties but again the choice between them is more of a preference and budget choice than a “better/worse” choice. There is more about some of the differences between memory foam and latex in post #2 here. Some people tend to prefer the faster response and more resilient and “on the mattress” feel of latex and some prefer the slower response and more “in the mattress” feel of memory foam but the best way to know which type of materials or mattresses you tend to prefer in general terms would be based on your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience with each material in a range of different firmness levels.

It’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about the durability of this mattress because several of the layers don’t include the density of the foam they are using but the 2" of 3 lb memory foam is lower quality/density than I would consider and would be a weak link in the mattress even if the other foam layers are a good quality/density material. I would avoid this mattress.

This is also a memory foam mattress.

You can read more about Amerisleep and their sister companies and their so called “expert sites” that pose as being independent review sites in post #2 here and the posts it links to. A forum search on Amerisleep (you can just click the link) will bring up will bring up all the forum posts that mention them as well.

I’m assuming that based on the specs you listed that you are looking at their Revere mattress. While I can’t speak to how the Revere (or any mattress) will feel to you or whether it will be a good match in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP … in terms of durability the Revere uses 3" of 4 lb memory foam which would be suitable for more average weight ranges but the 1.65 lb polyfoam base layer is a little lower than the minimum density guidelines I would normally suggest for a mattress in this budget range.

This is also a memory foam mattress.

There are some comments about the Loom & Leaf along with many of the other “simplified choice” online mattresses in post #2 here in the simplified choice mattress topic and the first post in the same topic would probably be worth reading as well. There are also some more detailed comments in post #5 here. A forum search on Loom Leaf (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about it as well.

They don’t disclose the densities of their polyfoam base layers and I would tend to avoid this mattress as well.

There can be an initial smell to some mattresses that can vary based on the materials in the mattress … if the materials have a reliable safety certification (see post #2 here) then any initial smell wouldn’t be a safety issue and it will generally dissipate to levels that aren’t noticeable for most people within a few days.

While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

There are many variations of each type of foam material (latex foam, memory foam, polyfoam) but in very general terms latex is generally the most breathable and “temperature neutral” of all the foam materials followed by polyfoam followed by memory foam. While only a minority of people that sleep on memory foam have temperature regulation issues … the ones that do are a higher percentage than with other types of foam.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area…

If you are also considering online options then the mattress shopping tutorial includes several links to lists of many of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses that use different materials and components in a wide range of designs, budgets, firmness levels, and with different return/exchange policies that may be well worth considering as well (assuming that the materials and components in any mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body weight).

In its simplest form choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to FIRST finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers (either locally or online) that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in that are in a budget range you are comfortable with and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you are considering relative to your weight range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

When I went to Jordans in Avon , the guy never mentioned the Jordans brand mattress and when I asked about it he talked about it like it was lower quality, only good enough for a guest room to be used occassionally.

WOW. Phoenix you are like a Mattress GOD. Thank you so much for your help and your advice. You can’t even imagine how much help you are giving me AND THE WORLD! Seriously.
I’ve read several of your posts, I’ll go back and re-read.
I would love to hear your recommendations. We live in 02906. I weight around 125 and my husband is about 195. We are interested in Memory foam, Latex or natural fibers. Pricing between Looking to spend no more than $1000 but willing to if it’s worth it.
THANK YOU!

Hi MOB17,

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around Providence, RI are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix