An ancient mattress, the mattress racket, and new bed in a box?

Phoenix, mattress guru extraordinaire:

Try not to laugh while you read the first bit of this. I am currently rocking a Simmons Beautyrest that is 19 years old. About 16 years ago I inherited it from my grandma. It’s a double pillow top that was maybe 14" originally? It looks like was 10" body with a 2" pillow on either side and pocket spring construction. I have no idea how firm it is/was. Right now, 45 lbs in a bucket compresses it about 5-6". My 140# body standing in the middle compresses it 8-9". It was worse before I threw some plywood between it and the box springs.
I’m comfortable sleeping on just about anything. From the ground while backpacking, to the couch, to hotel beds, to whatever. My significant other however, says that it is ready to be retired. And that it is saggy and that something more firm would be better. Considering that mattress is shaped more like a parallelogram than a box (the top leans over the bottom 3-4" on one side), she might be on to something.

Given that mattresses are the biggest consumer racket out there, I’m not inclined to go the retail store route. It’s a big mysterious slab full of mysterious materials with mysterious pricing and mysterious discounts and mysterious lifespans. I’m also somewhat opposed to wasting retail outlets time in the DC area by test driving things I’m not going to buy.

Originally I wanted to get something with springs. Pocket springs. Because mattresses are made with springs and springs are good and when imagine mattresses you imagine bouncing on springs. I didn’t like the idea of sleeping on solid slabs of foam.

But then I looked into them more. While polyfoam and memory foam seemed like crapshoots, latex foam seems like something that can be better quantified. Mattress in a box starts to look more like something that can be compared than the voodoo of going to the mattress store and laying on something. I can manage this.

The conundrum then becomes “how firm”. As I said, I’m 5’8, 140# pounds and athletic. Maybe that’s why I sleep well. My SO is cut of the same cloth. She has said she wants it to be FIRM! But I’m worried that her yardstick is the blown out mattress we’re currently sleeping on and don’t want to wind up with a slab of stone.

Other important consideration is that it sleeps cool. I loathe AC and would rather sleep with a few fans on than under covers in artificial cold. Latex appears to fit that requirement.

At the moment, I am really drawn to the SleepEZ. At $1,550 for a 9" (organic) queen they are pushing the boundary of the budget. But I LOVE the idea of a zipper top. To me, that’s a future proof mattress. It also appears to be a quality cover of cotton and wool which appeals to me. Then there is the customization. I can get two 3" layers and a 2" layer for each side of whatever firmness I want in talalay or dunlop latex. The sheet set and two pillows softens the deal (get it!) a little bit though.

But I’m paying a $500 premium for that extra 2" over their 7" mattress. Do I need a 9" mattress? I don’t even know! That’s the biggest hangup, 7 vs. 9.

Latex is sneaky stuff too though as SleepEZ is calling it 100% natural latex. Which doesn’t exactly mean it came from a tree. It’s polyisoprene which is “synthetic natural rubber”. “Synthetic natural”, I learn something new every day.

So yeah, anything else I should be considering? I’ll email SleepEZ as well.

Really disappointed that the state of the industry/market is such that we are forced to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on something we’ll use more than anything else with no real idea what we’re getting.

Hi Gomer,

[quote]Try not to laugh while you read the first bit of this. I am currently rocking a Simmons Beautyrest that is 19 years old. About 16 years ago I inherited it from my grandma. It’s a double pillow top that was maybe 14" originally? It looks like was 10" body with a 2" pillow on either side and pocket spring construction. I have no idea how firm it is/was. Right now, 45 lbs in a bucket compresses it about 5-6". My 140# body standing in the middle compresses it 8-9". It was worse before I threw some plywood between it and the box springs.
I’m comfortable sleeping on just about anything. From the ground while backpacking, to the couch, to hotel beds, to whatever. My significant other however, says that it is ready to be retired. And that it is saggy and that something more firm would be better. Considering that mattress is shaped more like a parallelogram than a box (the top leans over the bottom 3-4" on one side), she might be on to something.[/quote]

It sounds like your mattress is long past its due date for replacement!

If you follow the steps in the tutorial and deal with one of the many knowledgeable and experienced retailers across the country then a mattress certainly wouldn’t be a “mysterious slab full of mysterious materials with mysterious pricing and mysterious discounts and mysterious lifespans”

The types of comments you are making would only apply to stores or retailers that I would avoid anyway.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

[quote]Originally I wanted to get something with springs. Pocket springs. Because mattresses are made with springs and springs are good and when imagine mattresses you imagine bouncing on springs. I didn’t like the idea of sleeping on solid slabs of foam.

But then I looked into them more. While polyfoam and memory foam seemed like crapshoots, latex foam seems like something that can be better quantified. Mattress in a box starts to look more like something that can be compared than the voodoo of going to the mattress store and laying on something. I can manage this.[/quote]

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the durability guidelines here relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article). The best way to know which types of materials or mattresses you tend to prefer in general terms will be based on your own local testing or your own personal experience.

Each mattress category can include hundreds of different mattresses with a very wide range of different designs, different “feels”, different characteristics, and different firmness levels. Every individual layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting material) will affect the feel and response of every other layer and component both above and below it and the mattress “as a whole” so each mattress category will generally include some mattresses that have a design that will be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP and others that use the same type of materials and components and are in the same category and may be just as durable but have a different design or firmness level that may be completely unsuitable for you to sleep on … even if it uses the same general type of materials and components.

There are certainly many people who prefer latex/innerspring hybrids over other types of mattresses (see post #13 here and the posts it links to) but again the only way to know whether you are one of them would be based on your own personal experience. While it’s not a complete list … outside of any additional options that may be available to you locally some of the better innerspring/latex options I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here and the post it links to but if you wish to test any of them in person rather than ordering online you would need to check their websites or call them to see if any of them have a dealer close to you.

There are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

One of the advantages of trying mattresses locally is that you can try many different types and styles and firmness levels and compare them to each other in “real time” based on your actual experience rather than just “theory” instead of trying one mattress and not knowing how it compares to the other mattresses that you could have tried or purchased instead.

Of course many online mattresses have a good trial period and return policy so you can try them in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk (outside of the time you spend sleeping on it and/or returning it if that becomes necessary or any costs involved in the return process) so if it’s not a “good enough” match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP you can just return it and try another mattress although of course you will only know whether it’s “good enough” and you won’t know whether it would have been better or worse or how it compares to other mattresses that you could have purchased that you haven’t tried in person.

I would make sure that when you are buying a mattress online that you haven’t tested in person that you are comfortable with the options you have to exchange or return a mattress (or in some cases individual layers) and any costs involved just in case your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for because again the only way to know for certain whether any mattress will be a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience.

As you probably know SleepEZ is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. There is also more about the pros and cons of a component mattress with a zip cover and loose layers vs a finished mattress with glued layers in post #15 here and post #2 here.

The thickness of a mattress or the number of layers or the thickness of any individual layers inside it is really just a side effect of the design and the design goals of a mattress and the thickness of any individual layers or the complete mattress is also only one of many variables that can affect the feel and performance of a mattress relative to any particular person (see post #2 here) and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful (see post #2 here). In some cases higher weight ranges (or a higher BMI) will sometimes do better with a mattress that is thicker than lower weight ranges or a lower BMI (see post #14 here for more about the effect of thickness) but even this depends more on the specific design and combination of materials in the mattress and on how well your testing or personal experience indicates the mattress “as a whole” matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP than it does on just the thickness itself.

Again a more detailed phone conversation with SleepEZ will be your best source of guidance about which of their models will have the best chance of success.

Latex (either Dunlop or Talalay) that is made from natural rubber (from a tree) and doesn’t contain any synthetic latex in the formulation is generally referred to as 100% natural latex although there are also some other “ingredients” that are used in the formulation to make it possible to turn the liquid rubber into a foamed latex layer (see post #18 here).

Synthetic rubber used in latex formulations is Styrene Butadiene not Polyisoprene.

There is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here but any type or blend of latex is a high quality and durable material.

If a retailer or manufacturer isn’t willing or able to provide you with the information you need to know about the materials and components in any mattress you are considering so that you know exactly what you’re getting and can make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses then I would avoid dealing with them at all. There are many retailers or manufacturers in the industry (including SleepEZ) who will tell you all the information you need to know about all the materials and components in their mattresses so you can make informed choices and know exactly what you are getting.

Phoenix

Phoenix, you really are too much. In a good way. Most of what I posted was a good natured rant. And I appreciate your thoughtful responses. A couple of specific things I wanted to focus on I’ve quoted above.

I have read a lot here, and have a good understanding of things. I am an informed consumer to a good extent due to the wealth of knowledge here.

But the other side of the equation is forthright retailers. That’s the mystery part. From what I’ve gleaned here, the DC area (Rockville / Gaithersburg) is a bit barren in that regard. And it shouldn’t be pulling teeth to compare things. There should be clear spec sheets and cross sections for all mattresses as a matter of course. And it’s a mystery because all bets are off until you’ve slept on the darn thing for a few weeks. And the pricing is more “what can we get away with” than what did it cost or is worth.

I digress.

Latex. I read a lot about latex. There is a wealth of information here, and on the SleepEZ website. Right now their organic 9" queen is cheaper than their 9" natural. That’s for 100% natural talalay latex. The cream of the crop.

There is a link to a certification letter found on this portion of the site:
https://www.sleepez.com/organic-latex-mattress.html?model=9000
sleepez.com/certifications/natural-talalay/latex-international-natural-formula.pdf
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: sleepez.com/certifications/natural-talalay/latex-international-natural-formula.pdf

The cert letter says that it is "100% polyisoprene with no SBR". Now I’m familiar with polyisoprene because, having had relations with someone with a latex allergy, I know they make prophylactics out of it.

When I went to wikipedia to try to figure it out a little better, and on the synthetic rubber page:
Synthetic rubber - Wikipedia it lists under the ISO 1629 codes
Code: IR
Technical name:
Polyisoprene
Common Name:
(Synthetic) Natural Rubber

So that’s what threw me for a loop. Polyisoprene can be synthesized, or harvested from a tree and both considered to be “natural rubber”. More info here: Polyisoprene | Natural Rubber, Synthetic Rubber & Uses | Britannica

It may very well be that 100% of the 100% natural latex at SleepEZ comes out of a tree. It’s academic as far as I am concerned. But to an engineer, that certification leaves itself enough wiggle room that it might not all come out of a tree, and still could be called natural rubber per ISO 1629 if it’s made out of synthetic polyisoprene.

Thanks again for this wealth of info. I really do need to get on the horn with SleepEZ, STAT!

Hi Gomer,

I completely agree which is why I would always call any store you are considering visiting to make sure they can provide all the information here about their mattresses (or at least the ones you want to test). The stores that are willing and able to provide the specs you need will normally provide the information “on request” rather than have it listed on their website because listing too many specs can lead to confusion (which means lost sales) for the majority of consumers that don’t have any knowledge about the meaning of “quality specs”. Some stores will be able to provide this information about some of their mattresses and not for others.

One of the most frustrating parts of mattress shopping can be spending time testing a mattress and finding out that you like it and that it’s a good match for you in terms of firmness, “feel” and PPP only to find out that the mattress contains low quality materials and/or that information you need to identify any lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress or make meaningful comparisons to other mattresses isn’t available at all and you’ve wasted the time you spent testing the mattress.

While nothing has a 100% success rate … with a local purchase and for the majority of people … careful testing using the guidelines in the tutorial (rather than just testing for the more subjective “comfort” of a mattress which often won’t predict how well you will sleep on a mattress or how it will “feel” when you sleep on it at home) along with some good guidance from a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests in mind will usually result in a mattress choice that is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and will generally be “close enough” so that if any fine tuning is necessary it would be relatively minor and involve different mattress pads, sheets, mattress protectors, or perhaps even a topper if a mattress is too firm (see post #4 here and post #10 here).

None of the “natural” latex in the industry uses synthetic polyisoprene so if you see natural latex it would always come from the tree.

All the synthetic or “man made” latex in the industry is Styrene Butadiene.

They would certainly make a great quality/value choice and if you are looking at 100% natural Talalay their current prices are lower than they normally are (they are normally more costly than the blended Talalay).

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Are there any other member sites selling zipper top mattress in boxes I could consider?

Hi Gomer,

Post #3 here includes a list of many of the online manufacturers that sell component latex mattresses with zip covers and most of them are also members here as well.

Phoenix

Gomer,

Have you gone to Savvy Rest in Rockville to test their mattresses? We went there and they had a bunch of beds set up with his and hers sides with different configurations of firmness’s of Talalay and Dunlop to try. I believe they were all 3x3" layers for a 10" mattress which is what I was looking to get a SleepEZ. The SleepEZ price was much less than half that of Savvy. I ended up placing an order from SleepEZ and was very happy with their selection help, ease of ordering and setting up the mattress very easy. I highly recommend SleepEZ. We got a Organic 10" split king (2x XL twins) and an adjustable foundation with his and hers sides of different firmness’s.
top layer = Talalay, soft & medium
middle layer = Talalay, medium
bottom layer = Dunlop, firm

These layers worked best for us, so you’ll need to test which layers work best for you. We’re still in the getting used to the new mattress phase, but the 1st night sleep on in was perfect for me since I have a back problem and all the pressure points were relieved, my wife is on the fence and needs some more time on it.

This site is such a valuable source of information for selecting the right mattress for you, And don’t forget the 5% off from SleepEZ for being a member of this board. Good luck on your hunt…

Hi pungo,

Thanks for taking the time to share some good advice :slight_smile:

As you mentioned the Savvy Rest mattresses have very similar designs and have similar options to some of the SleepEZ Organic Select Sleep Latex Mattress and can certainly make a good reference point for testing the combination of latex layers that work best.

Phoenix

Pungo,
Thanks for the suggestion about visiting Savvy Rest. I’ve got a little bit of a personal issue with using their showroom as a SleepEZ showroom. SleepEZ is already at the tall end of my budget so I fathom there is zero chance I’d walk out of there with something.

I will keep it in mind, and may just fly blind with SleepEZ’s $99 insurance (return) policy.

Gomer,

I fully understand if you don’t want to want to use Savvy as a SleepEz showroom. We went out one day shopping beds in Rockville since the is a Healthy Back, Savvy and several other bedding stores all within a few miles of each other. We tried many…

If you give SleepEZ a call, one of their expert staff should be able to advise you on selecting the layers to get you close to fit you needs. $30 to swap a layer if needed and as you said $99 if you just just don’t like the mattress.

I emailed [email protected] (the contact on the website) a couple of days ago and haven’t heard back. Do you have an alternative email address?

Hi Gomer,

The email that you listed is the only contact information on their website but I think they also use [email protected] as well. It may also be worth giving them a call.

Phoenix

The email address Phoenix listed does work as of 08-24-16. It is the address they emailed my receipt from and they responded to a request I sent to said address.