An introduction and request for advice

Hi JazzGuy,

The first place to start your research is post #1 here and the information it links to. This has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the most informed and most suitable choices. I would read the information like you would a good book and not “study” it like you would a textbook. It will certainly give you more meaningful information than 90% of the salespeople that sell mattresses across the country.

Springs are a personal preference that many people prefer but I would keep in mind that the weak link of all mattresses … regardless of the type of support system … are the upper comfort layers not the support layers or components. If you take apart an innerspring mattress that is sagging you will almost always find that the springs are fine and it’s the softening of lower quality/density foams and padding above the springs that is the problem. This is why it’s so important to know the quality of the materials in your mattress … especially the comfort layers … because a mattress will generally soften and break down from the top down and if the top layers are high quality materials (which is not the “norm” with major brands) then you won’t have softening and sagging issues regardless of what type of support system is used in the mattress.

You can see my thoughts about airbeds here and as you can see I don’t think they are a good choice … and particularly at the prices you are mentioning. I don’t see any need to go beyond 3 - 4K (depending on the size, your “comfortable” budget, and your preferences) and there are some great quality/value mattresses available for significantly less than this that would sell for much more if you shopped for mainstream brands. Higher cost certainly doesn’t necessarily lead to a better or more suitable mattress in some cases it can be the opposite.

Latex is a very high quality and durable material (it’s the most durable of all the foam types) but there are many different designs and no matter what the quality or durability of a material a mattress still need to match your needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, pressure relief, and personal preferences). There are many very high quality latex mattresses available across the country either locally or online but the best quality and value is generally smaller independent manufacturers that are either sold factory direct or through smaller independent sleep shops. No matter what the quality or value of a mattress if it isn’t suitable for your specific needs and preferences and you can’t sleep on it without pain or discomfort it would have little value to you.

You’re wise to avoid the mainstream manufacturers or for that matter any of the mainstream stores or chains. Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Dallas / Ft Worth region are listed in post #4 here.

Both of these are members here which means that I believe they are among the best quality/value available but I would always do some testing at some of the better local stores or manufacturers before making any final choices because there may be some great quality/value available locally as well and at the very least you will be more familiar with the types of materials you are considering.

Phoenix