Analysis of Big Fig mattress for heavy people?

Hi redditmike,

Thanks for providing those specifications from Big Fig.

Based upon the information you provided this mattress does appear to use better quality materials. For higher BMIs I like to recommend 2 lb or higher polyfoam, and this mattress does have a 1" layer of 1.8 lb polyfoam in the quilt and another 1" 1.8 lb layer just beneath that (separated by .5" of Dunlop latex), so while not exactly as I would recommend, the 1.8 lb polyfoam is quilted which compresses it a bit, and then the entire mattress is tufted, which also pre-compresses all of the polyfoam within the mattress and helps extend the life of that foam by reducing artificial loft and helping to minimize mechanical stresses, so overall this would seem to hold up well for those of a higher BMI.

And no, I never accept free mattresses. :slight_smile:

Phoenix

So how many lbs of polyfoam does the big fig have?

I would never question your integrity :slight_smile:

Also, was wondering if you could help me out, I threw my old mattress away after 6 years, it was something i bought at jc penney can’t remember what, but it was time to go as it was giving me back problems, it was warped to say the least. I bought a mattress firm mattress from hampton & rhoades called sherwood model or whatever…I feel like there is a bit of a sag already after only 5 or 6 months!

anyway i spoke to the guy from [quote]
Sleepopolis
[/quote] and he said [quote]
One of the most common reasons a mattress may begin to sag is simply due a poor foundation.
[/quote]

SO…I’m looking for a new “foundation” currently i have an old boxspring and a very low profile metal frame thats also very very old…

Any recommendations for me? Can you help me out?

Hi redditmike,

I don’t think you’re understanding how the foam is described. You’re not measuring the total weight of a mattress – you’re looking at the density (mass per unit volume) of each layer of foam. You provided the density of each layer of foam in your earlier post.

You’re welcome to question it :cheer: , but I’m not a “reviewer”, and while I’m constantly offered free mattresses, I don’t accept them.

Most modern mattresses “fail” due to the low quality foams they use, not the foundation. Most modern brands use rigid metal semi-flex cages or wood foundations for the base, which usually don’t fail before the low quality foams within the mattress, which is most likely what your old mattress and your current mattress contain. Now, if you are using an actual old coil box spring unit with a mattress, that will contribute to premature sag in most modern mattresses. And you need to make sure that your bed frame has a reinforced center beam.

Regarding an appropriate foundation, everything you need to know if explained in great detail in the foundation thread here.

Phoenix

So what foundation do I buy?

Thank you for the updates on the Big Fig, guys. I dropped the ball because unfortunately, the money isn’t currently in the budget for a new mattress.

But Phoenix, it does sound like you’re giving a thumbs up to this mattress, yes? In other words, I don’t necessarily need to eliminate it from consideration?

Thanks again for all the information. It’s actually kind of overwhelming. But thanks!

Hi redditmike,

I don’t pick out products for people, but help with “how” to choose. Refer to my reply to you previously: Regarding an appropriate foundation, everything you need to know if explained in great detail in the foundation thread here. It lists what types of materials to choose and also provides lists of some vendors.

Phoenix

Hi bwh,

I don’t give “thumbs up” to mattresses or ratings, but you can read my comments here about the specifications of the componentry within this mattress.

Phoenix

Hi Bwh,
What decision did you come to in regards to purchasing the Big Fig Mattress?
I too am thinking of purchasing the same mattress.
Thanks in advance

Hi nuyawker,

Sorry, I had to put the decision on hold. But I can say that from the replies I’ve already gotten here, I need to do a lot more research. I just always get stymied by having to do all that research! I LOVE that so much information has been made available here, but I do find it hard to process all of it and come to any clear decisions around it.

That, and not really having enough money right now for this purchase, has caused me to put it all on the back burner…

bwh

Hi nuyawker,

Im a big guy and from the answers I got from Allison @ big fig mattress (which you can see in earlier responses in this thread) the only thing that is stopping me from buying it is the cash. I simply can’t afford it, at least not right now anyway. So while I can’t really give you an actual review, I can tell you that much. If I was a thin guy, i’d start my research all over again and look for my best option unfortunately mattress buying can be tough for us bigger guys.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do!

Just wanted to throw my two cents into the forum regarding my opinion with this mattress. background wise, I used to have a Tempurpedic knockoff for the past 9 years that is starting to have a bit of a sag, so I did research on mattresses that would be appropriate for large people. Between myself and my fiance, we are about 550 lbs together, so obviously a mattress that holds up to 1000 lbs should be long lasting for us. On a positive note, the edge support is fantastic. On a negative note, the mattress is hard as a rock. I am a side sleeper and she is a side/back sleeper. We have had the mattress for two weeks effective tomorrow and I will be calling them to come pick it up.
After stumbling upon this site and doing my research, we have decided to go with an all latex mattress from Arizona Premium Mattress Company (mattresses.net). We’re doing a do it yourself, starting with a 6" base of x firm all natural dunlop, topped with a 3" layer of firm all natural dunlop and then a 3" layer of medium all natural talalay, all surrounded with their upgraded bamboo cover.

Aren’t you the guy that’s always on the mattresses subreddits on Reddit.com

No, not me…never been on reddit.com

I am big, have always gone through mattresses every couple of years. We recently got an inheritance and purchased this mattress, it sounds promising! It will be here next week, I will definitely update and review it :slight_smile:

I haven’t bought mine yet…no funds…but I too understand the new mattresses every couple of years problem…don’t try and hold on for too long, it can give you back problems.

Most of all I look forward to hearing your opinion and experience with the big fig! For my future purchase.

Hi redditmike,

Phoenix is off on a retreat until next Sunday.

We can route your post to one of our Expert Members if you would like the perspective of a TMU manufacturer/component expert and cannot wait until Phoenix returns. The Mattress is a hybrid design so we would ask an expert in hybrid mattress designs.

Thanks for your patience.

TMU Administrator

Oh I was responding to user Hawkeye

I will try to progress through my order.

I will start with a review of the shipping and delivery! If you are in a hurry to get the mattress, don’t be. For those who are unfamiliar with large mattress purchases, they are typically delivered to a distribution facility near you that schedules the pickup.

Order placed: April 5, 2018
Order shipped: April 6, 2018
April 9, 2018: Survey Sent from shipping company asking address verification, about any gate codes, dangerous pets, etc from Progistics shipping. This is designed, in theory to expedite the process.

-Transit
Arrived at final courier facility: Today, April 27 2018
I am calling as we speak to schedule this delivery. Though personally, I think over 20 days is ridiculous for shipping.

Here is the timeline from the tracking
Picked up from Shipper: 4/13/18
Tendered to line haul carrier: 4/25/18
Received by Final Mile Provider: 4/26/18
So from order of April 5 to today (April 27) 22 days has passed.
They have me scheduled for delivery next Thursday, May 3. That would be 28 days!!! I find it ridiculous and I got frustrated with the lady on the phone… Anyway, this mattress had better be the best mattress I have ever slept on in my life for the wait. -_-

We got our new mattress today! I was at work all day and DH took care of it by himself and when I got home it was already on the bed and the old one pulled out :slight_smile:

First of all, this mattress is HEAVY, you definitely need 2 people to maneuver it.
On initial test, this is the most comfortable mattress I have ever laid on. When I laid down, I had instant back pain relief and felt a nice cooling sensation. Obviously, there is a breaking in period and I will continue to review the mattress.

It is soft but not too soft and very firm. It was the first mattress I have ever had that didn’t roll the edges when I sat on the edge! It stayed firm! I thoroughly enjoyed my “post work before dinner nap”. I will post again in the morning after a full night sleep! But so far, I am in love.

Hi Hawkeye.

Congratulations on your new mattress! :slight_smile:

It looks like your waiting paid out and you got’ve yourself the “best mattress you’ve ever slept on in your life” :lol:

I look forward to your further updates once you have the chance give it a fair first-night try.

Phoenix