Analysis of Big Fig mattress for heavy people?

Hello! I’m new to this forum; came here on the recommendation of my daughter, who swears by the good information on this website!

My husband and I are both on the large side, and he is tall. We sleep on a California King mattress that is about 19 years old. Way over time for a new one!!! (Haven’t been able to afford one, really, for a long time.)

I have just discovered the Big Fig Mattress Company, which has only started up in 2016, but the founders have a long family history (five generations) of creating quality mattresses. They are specifically targeting heavier people, and they make ONE model of mattress. I did a search on this forum, but haven’t come across any posts relating specifically to this mattress. I am not a member of the mattress industry, I am a simple consumer!

My husband has always been concerned that any kind of foam mattress would squish flat after not too much use. And he’s always been convinced that he requires a Firm mattress, as firm as possible. My feeling is that the mattress we currently have has been way too hard for me. The Big Fig looks like it is being targeted for both support and comfort, equally important factors in my book.

The specification for this 13-inch high mattress (for a California King) are:

• 1600 individually wrapped coils
  • Three layers (three inches thick) of high-density foam with a “minimum density of 1.8 pcf”
  • A ventilated layer of latex infused with natural gel particles
  • A ThermoGel quilted top made of polyester, viscose, and lyrcra
  • Hand tufted in 16 places
  • Price INCLUDES a heavy-duty foundation that supports up to five times more weight than standard foundations or box springs, with two center supports instead of one, eighteen 2 1/2" wide cross slats, and thirty-two 2x4 wood block supports around the perimeter
  • The foundation weighs 120 pounds and the mattress weighs 140 pounds
  • The mattress is rated to support up to 1,000 pounds across two people
  • It has a 20-year warranty
  • The price for a California King and foundation is $1900
  • They do recommend purchasing a fitted mattress protector (not sold on the site)
  • An optional steel bed frame is rated to support over 2000 pounds, for an additional $125
  • Basic shipping is free and there are a couple of additional delivery service options

So this all looks very good to me. They claim that they know of only one other manufacturer that specifically targets heavy people, and that manufacturer’s Cal King costs over twice as much and their website does not reveal the details of how the mattresses are made.

So my question is, IS Big Fig as unique as they claim? Seems like a good price for value to me… IS it?

And are there any other manufacturers out there that might offer a similar product for less?

Thank you – I appreciate any and all responses!

Hi bwh,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thank you! Your daughter sounds like a very intelligent individual. :lol:

I’m personally not familiar with this product. Unfortunately, they’re not too specific technically about what is inside of their mattress on their web site, so I’d want to know every layer of foam, it’s thickness, and the density. With the latex layer I’d want to know if it’s Dunlop or Talalay (I believe it is Dunlop looking at the photos) and the blend and the thickness. I’d also like to know what foam is quilted to the covering. It appears they use three layers of polyfoam on top of the innerspring unit, and then latex above that, then their quilt panel, from one of their online photos.

The tufting in their mattress is desirable and will assist with minimizing body impressions, and their foundation looks very durable and sturdy. The bed frame they offer appears to be the Mantua Extreme line of frames (M60G for a California King).

As you’re already aware, a high BMI presents special challenges and generally requires firmer materials (in the support layers especially). This could be firmer latex or innersprings (the type of support component would be a personal preference and in the right design either could be suitable) or even a zoned construction. The same overall guidelines apply with higher weights though that PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) along with using high quality durable materials that will maintain their feel and performance for longer periods of time are the way to make the best choices. Heavier people in general will need firmer and thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter and because no materials will last as long with much higher weights the quality and durability of the materials and components is even more important than normal. I wouldn’t “rule out” any types of mattress and base your choices on your own personal testing. Post #3 here has more information and suggestions about heavier weights that is worth reading.

The key will be finding componentry that will be of appropriate quality for your specific situation, which will then give you the best chance at have a successful comfort life, so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components. Those in a higher BMI range want to be especially prudent in the choice of their components. For those in a higher BMI range, there is more information about selecting a mattress in the durability guidelines here. Specifically, if your BMI is 30 or higher:

Polyurethane foam: If your mattress is one sided then I would look for 2.0 lb per cubic foot density or higher. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 1.8 lbs per cubic foot or higher.

Memory foam (or gel memory foam): If your mattress is one sided then I would make sure that any memory foam is at least 5 lb per cubic foot. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 4 lbs per cubic foot.

There are many smaller regional manufacturers that make heavier-duty mattresses that are appropriate for heavier people, regardless of whether or not they are marketed in such a manner. All-latex mattresses can be appropriate for people with a higher BMI. Innerspring companies (again smaller regional manufacturers or licensees) will make very heavy-duty items using 2.0 lb or higher polyfoam. Off the top of my head, nationally, even King Koil makes the Extended Life line that is marketed toward larger individuals and Therapedic makes their MediCoil HD line that does the same. So there certainly are other options out there – you just have to look at the componentry. But keeping track of all of the companies nationally that create a product that is appropriate for higher BMI individuals is unfortunately beyond the scope of this site.

Without knowing the exact specifications within the mattress, you wouldn’t be able to determine if this product is a good value for your particular needs. There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While it seems that they are using “better than average” componentry within their mattress, only a confirmation through a detailed phone call or email exchange will be able to tell you for sure if this is a mattress you’d want to pursue. It seems they are moving in a good direction, though.

I’ll be interested in learning about any information you find.

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix. I’ve been doing some reading around your site, and I do think I’ll be contacting them to ask for more details. I will definitely let them know about this site. I’ll let you know if I discover any more helpful information about their product!

I actually thought they were being VERY specific, technically, about what’s in their mattress, but the information does seem to be scattered into various places. In order to create my bulleted list of specs, I had to go back and forth between several pages to pull it all out. So maybe you didn’t discover all of the details. Or maybe I don’t really know yet what the true details SHOULD be. I went to the site of the manufacturer they claim is their main competitor and I could find almost nothing at all on that site. In comparison, Big Fig looks to be quite transparent.

But after reading some of your advice on this site, I do question (for example) their use of 1.8 density foam in three layers. Does the fact that it’s in three layers equate to GREATER actual density?

I also wonder if that technical drawing they provide (which you refer to) contains ALL of the materials involved, or if it’s a simplification. You discuss on one of your pages making sure that all the components add up to the stated height of the mattress. I wonder what else could be included, if they don’t include it on a drawing.

How does one go about locating a “smaller regional manufacturer”? And would such a company sell on the Internet and still be regarded as smaller and regional? This company is based in Cleveland, with a long family history of making mattresses. Might their founders (father and daughter) be considered as having been smaller and regional before they started this company? From their website, it appears as though they do make the mattresses themselves and they are definitely factory-direct. But I know that finding out where materials are sourced is also important…

Gads, I am quite sure there are many other questions I should be asking… If you know of any other specific manufacturers that I might be able to consider, I’d sure appreciate knowing about them. Also, is it possible to give a general price guideline for what people with high BMIs should reasonably expect to have to pay?

Thanks!
bwh

Hi bwh,

I appreciate that.

I looked at every page of their web site. The meaningful details I mentioned in my previous reply are not provided.

That would be correct. You need to go back and read the articles I linked to in my earlier reply. In addition, take a few minutes to read through the mattress shopping tutorial, as it will be incredibly assistive in helping you research this or any other mattress.

Without knowing the complete specifications of any product, regardless of what anyone is comparing themselves to (which is irrelevant), I advise to hold off on making a purchase of that particular product.

Density is not cumulative. You’d want to learn about each individual layer.

These are just descriptors I use and whether a manufacturer sells online or not is neither here nor there. There are over 500 mattress manufacturers in the United States (like White Dove in Cleveland that makes the Big Fig), and the point I was making is that many of the smaller ones tend to produce higher-quality products and are often able to be more flexible and custom-build something to a particular specification. Besides searching online on your own, you can use the experience and expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices for people with a high BMI. There are a wide range of options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

I’d start by reading through the Mattress Shopping Tutorial I linked through about and it will help you “reset” a bit how you are going about looking for a mattress, including the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price).

Phoenix

Thank you! I will keep you updated on my progress. But I’m sure this is going to be quite a lengthy process, as I do have other work to do! :slight_smile:
Thanks for your patience!

So what’s the verdict on the big fig mattress phoenix??

details on why verdict is such??

So what’s the verdict on the big fig phoenix??

Details on why that verdict if you have come to one?

can you call them up since you run the site and get your questions answered?

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I found out a few things from talking with big fig

half inch of latex.

1.8-pcf density polyfoam on top followed by two layers of 2.5-pcf density polyfoam

They said they would get back to me on wether it was dunlop or talalay latex

It’s 20 ILD count

Hi redditmike,

If you are able to find out all of the information about every layer inside of the mattress and post it back here, I’ll be happy to comment upon it for you. They still don’t offer detailed information on their web site.

Phoenix

Sure thing.

1. The type and thickness of all the layers or components in a mattress listed in order from the top down (or the bottom up)

From the top down:

one 1/2" layer of perforated, gel infused latex - 20 ILD

one 1" layer of 1.8 lb poly foam

two 1" layers of 2.5 lb poly foam

8" tall wrapped coil innerspring

one 1.5" layer of 1.8 lb density foam as a base

1.8 lb density, 80 ILD foam rails as edge support

1. The density of any polyfoam or memory foam layers (in lbs per cu. ft.).

We use a combination of 1.8 pcf and 2.5 pcf density poly foam. There is no memory foam in the mattress.

1. The type (Dunlop or Talalay) and approximate blend (the percentage of natural rubber and synthetic rubber) of any latex layers.

Dunlop latex - approximately 70% synthetic and 30% natural.

1. The type of innerspring, the gauge of the coils, the number of the coils, and the density of any polyfoam edge support.

Individually wrapped coil innerspring - 1600 count in King size, 15 gauge coil. 1.8 pcf, 80 ILD poly foam edge support

1. The type or blend of fabric and any quilting materials used in the cover. If the quilting material is polyfoam or memory foam and is in the range of “around an inch or so” or less then it’s not essential to know the density. If any quilting layers are 2" or more then I would want to know the density of any foam materials in the quilting.

There’s about 1" of 1.8 pcf density foam in the quilted panel. The quilted top itself is a poly blend fabric treated with ThermoGel cooling technology.

Whew, that’s a lot of specs! I hope that helps with your research. Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions.

Also if they offer you a free mattress, any possibility I can get one? or the one they give?

I’ll take a full, with a bed frame, and a box spring
:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I spoke with Alison Goodman…she’s a or one of the cofounders of the company, both on the phone and in email.

Hi redditmike,

Thanks for providing those specifications from Big Fig.

Based upon the information you provided this mattress does appear to use better quality materials. For higher BMIs I like to recommend 2 lb or higher polyfoam, and this mattress does have a 1" layer of 1.8 lb polyfoam in the quilt and another 1" 1.8 lb layer just beneath that (separated by .5" of Dunlop latex), so while not exactly as I would recommend, the 1.8 lb polyfoam is quilted which compresses it a bit, and then the entire mattress is tufted, which also pre-compresses all of the polyfoam within the mattress and helps extend the life of that foam by reducing artificial loft and helping to minimize mechanical stresses, so overall this would seem to hold up well for those of a higher BMI.

And no, I never accept free mattresses. :slight_smile:

Phoenix

So how many lbs of polyfoam does the big fig have?

I would never question your integrity :slight_smile:

Also, was wondering if you could help me out, I threw my old mattress away after 6 years, it was something i bought at jc penney can’t remember what, but it was time to go as it was giving me back problems, it was warped to say the least. I bought a mattress firm mattress from hampton & rhoades called sherwood model or whatever…I feel like there is a bit of a sag already after only 5 or 6 months!

anyway i spoke to the guy from [quote]
Sleepopolis
[/quote] and he said [quote]
One of the most common reasons a mattress may begin to sag is simply due a poor foundation.
[/quote]

SO…I’m looking for a new “foundation” currently i have an old boxspring and a very low profile metal frame thats also very very old…

Any recommendations for me? Can you help me out?

Hi redditmike,

I don’t think you’re understanding how the foam is described. You’re not measuring the total weight of a mattress – you’re looking at the density (mass per unit volume) of each layer of foam. You provided the density of each layer of foam in your earlier post.

You’re welcome to question it :cheer: , but I’m not a “reviewer”, and while I’m constantly offered free mattresses, I don’t accept them.

Most modern mattresses “fail” due to the low quality foams they use, not the foundation. Most modern brands use rigid metal semi-flex cages or wood foundations for the base, which usually don’t fail before the low quality foams within the mattress, which is most likely what your old mattress and your current mattress contain. Now, if you are using an actual old coil box spring unit with a mattress, that will contribute to premature sag in most modern mattresses. And you need to make sure that your bed frame has a reinforced center beam.

Regarding an appropriate foundation, everything you need to know if explained in great detail in the foundation thread here.

Phoenix

So what foundation do I buy?

Thank you for the updates on the Big Fig, guys. I dropped the ball because unfortunately, the money isn’t currently in the budget for a new mattress.

But Phoenix, it does sound like you’re giving a thumbs up to this mattress, yes? In other words, I don’t necessarily need to eliminate it from consideration?

Thanks again for all the information. It’s actually kind of overwhelming. But thanks!

Hi redditmike,

I don’t pick out products for people, but help with “how” to choose. Refer to my reply to you previously: Regarding an appropriate foundation, everything you need to know if explained in great detail in the foundation thread here. It lists what types of materials to choose and also provides lists of some vendors.

Phoenix

Hi bwh,

I don’t give “thumbs up” to mattresses or ratings, but you can read my comments here about the specifications of the componentry within this mattress.

Phoenix

Hi Bwh,
What decision did you come to in regards to purchasing the Big Fig Mattress?
I too am thinking of purchasing the same mattress.
Thanks in advance