Another latex question

I was on the web site of one of the best in the industry, and I saw a DIY section with two 6 inch talalay core in two ilds. The medium is 38ild and the hard is 49ild (i believe).

I know that ild is measured differently for latex, but am I correct to assume that 38ild in a 6 inch mattress would be almost like sleeping on the floor?

I would like to have a frame work for understanding the softness or hardness of latex with relation to the ilds.

Hi The_brooke,

No … it would be softer and more conforming than the floor … although it would probably be too firm for most (but not all) people.

Your own personal testing or sleeping experience is really the only way to know how each combination of ILD’s will feel for you. I would also keep in mind that every layer or component in a mattress will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and the mattress as a whole and ILD by itself (particularly of only single layers) isn’t the only spec that makes a difference in either the softness or performance of a material (see post #4 here).

If you aren’t able to test some different combinations of latex in person (which I would strongly encourage even if it’s not the same as what you plan to order so that you have a sense of the “feel” of latex) then the “best” way to choose would be a more detailed conversation with an experienced and knowledgeable manufacturer who can use their knowledge to help you choose based on the information you provide and the “averages” of their customers that are similar to you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here and post #2 here). This would give you a starting point and from there (assuming you have exchangeable layers) you could do more fine tuning by rearranging or exchanging layers based on your actual sleeping experience.

I’m not sure what your current status is with your mattress or if you are asking because you are considering either a topper or a different mattress but there are also some topper guidelines in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may also be useful if that’s a direction you are considering (although a topper is better suited to softening up a mattress that is too firm than making a mattress that is too soft any firmer).

Phoenix

I think its back to the drawing board with respect to my mattress. I haven’t slept a proper night in a week and a half.

I’m partially doing more research since you have proven to me how fascinating and important all of these materials can me, and I want to learn as much as I can :slight_smile:

Re the above, I was pondering a latex memory foam combo. I think that since the compression modulus is so much higher for latex, putting memory foam over an ILD of 38 would be very uncomfortable.

I will ask some questions.

Thank you as always.

Hi The_brooke,

I would tend to avoid “pre-configuring” your mattress based on specs and use the results of your testing as your reference points. Going by specs can quickly lead to “information overload” without being any closer to knowing what will work best for you.

Latex/memory foam hybrid comfort layers can feel great ad work well for some people (I personally like the latex over the memory foam but others prefer the memory foam over the latex) but there are so many variables that your own experience on a specific mattress is really the only way to know which combination of materials will work best for you.

While I don’t know how it would work for you … a layer of latex (or another type of topper) may “firm up” your memory foam somewhat because it would reduce the amount of heat that reaches it.

Phoenix

Hmm this could work :). Interesting idea.