Another mattress/foundation source in MD, DC and PA area

Hi Phoenix and east coast forum members,
In my search for locations to try mattresses and look at foundations for latex mattresses, I found this:

http://www.theorganicmattressstore.com/index.php

I’d like your thoughts, Phoenix, because what I have read on this site is that you shouldn’t put too many layers on latex as it defeats the purpose. Also, this company uses cotton and wool for coverings and I read that these compress too much. I think that you have stated that it should be a thin covering over the latex. For instance, Savvy rest uses a very thin cotton, wool felt covering. So, can you take a look and give us your impressions? I ordered their catalog to get an idea of all their products and I was interested in the Amish made slatted platform beds. Since I live not too far away from the PA Amish, I was looking at their beds on-line because I can probably get the platform bed I like and that would work for the latex mattress directly from them, for less.

Thanks,
Seeker

Hi seekeroftruth,

[quote]In my search for locations to try mattresses and look at foundations for latex mattresses, I found this:

www.theorganicmattressstore.com/index.php

I’d like your thoughts, Phoenix, because what I have read on this site is that you shouldn’t put too many layers on latex as it defeats the purpose.[/quote]

They are a little too far away to be included in the Washington or Baltimore list but they are already included in the Philadelphia / Wilmington / Trenton list in post #4 here. They carry some very high quality mattresses.

All of these are personal preferences and it would be very rare that you would read me speaking in terms of absolutes or blanket assessments that there is “to much” of anything in a mattress unless it was talking about the use of low quality materials in the comfort layers of a mattress. I very much avoid these types of “blanket” statements unless it is specifically about the quality of the materials (such as “too much” lower quality materials) because they are a matter of personal preference. There are many mattresses that use thicker layers of wool in the quilting and wool is a very high quality material that is a strong preference on the sleeping surface for many people. It can also be tufted or quilted to reduce the amount it compresses although it will still compress over time (in the case of wool this is just a normal response over time and not a defect). Some people like more wool in the quilting, some like the feel of memory foam over latex, and others yet prefer a polyfoam layer in the mattress quilting to reduce the resilience of the mattress surface. As long as the materials are good quality or in reasonable amounts then the choice is based on PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and would be based on personal preferences not on “better worse” comparisons.

Some people even sleep on all wool mattresses and even though it compresses more than most foams they are very happy with it for many years and any impressions in the wool are not a factor in the long term suitability of the mattress for their individual needs and preferences.

For me … design choices are based on personal needs and preferences and my goal is to help provide the tools that can help the members here make meaningful quality and value comparisons based on their own personal criteria.

The Organic Mattress store is knowledgeable and transparent about all their mattresses and none of their mattresses have any “weak links” IMO in terms of the quality of their materials so beyond that it would be a matter of testing to find out which of their mattresses are the “finalist” at that store and the closest match to each person’s individual needs and preferences and their personal value equation.

Phoenix