Any Clean Memory Foam Options out There??

Hello!

We’re looking for a “clean” / toxin free memory foam mattress (we’ve narrowed it down to this being a comfort favorite: not latex fans for the bounce, lack of edge support, and does not pressure relieve; and do not want coils of any sort for the EMF magnification and effects on the body—triggers/aggravates Candida & all sorts in the body (listen to Dr. Klinghardt’s talks)). Any recommendations? We’ve done quite a bit of mattress research & it seems as though Essentia (which is basically latex with a special top layer that is a more responsive latex which feels like memory foam & GOLS/GOTS certs) or a custom Plush Beds Posture Plush memory foam mattress (GOLS/GOTS/GreenGuard Certified). Can’t find any honest reviews/unbiased info on these two.

We LOVED our firm tempurpedic (although I mysteriously began having increasing levels of arsenic while owning this mattress and later found an article where someone actually tested it and found it to be full of heavy metals & toxins).

We’ve sent back a Wink Bed Eco Cloud (zero edge support, no pressure relief for bad backs & shoulders, and too much bounce), a Saatva (rock hard & not comfortable), & an Aireloom (no pressure relief). These all got amazing reviews, but were not for us.

I wish there was a clean memory foam option out there…a clean/toxin free tempurpedic of some sort…maybe I’ve missed/overlooked it in my research?? I know all memory foam technically contains polyurethane which can cause respiratory issues, but I’d rather get a much more restorative sleep. I’m frustrated and feel as though I’m at a dead end on mattress choices—either an Essentia with an $8200 price tag (King Beausomont (sp?) with the added 2") or a custom Plush Beds Posture Plush (which has questionable cooking gel foam ingredients, but is GreenGuard Gold certified, and reviewers say there is zero off gassing). Thank you so much for any insight you can share!!! We need a new mattress ASAP as this current Aireloomis going back… thank you!!

The only “cleaner” memory foam you are missing is the Brentwood home memory foam mattress /mattress toppers . They are all greenguard gold certified. On a side note they also sell regular polyurethane greenguard gold foam as well. Oh and magniflex sells oeko-text certified “memorfoam” (just their term for memory foam) mattresses.

Hi NeedSleep!

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

I’ll start off by first addressing some of the things you mentioned here.
The issue of electromagnetic fields is a controversial one and each person can decide for themselves the degree of “safety” that is important to them. I personally believe that the electrical fields that are all around us anyway have a greater effect than mattress innersprings but this is an area that can get very technical and is probably outside the scope of a post like this. For all intents and purposes … I would personally consider innersprings as “safe” because the metal is generally is insulated (not an electrified network of coils) and any potential charge would be “passive” and cannot amplify a signal without the input of power. I did a quick scan of Dr. Klinghardt website but was I not able to find the evidence in support of these statements If you are aware of any scientific study that reports on EMF/springs findings I’d be happy to dig a little deeper into it.

As far as edge support… there’s more detailed information about edge reinforcement systems in foam mattresses in post #2 here. In general, most foam mattresses (including latex) don’t have or even really need side support if they have a support core that is firm enough and the comfort layers aren’t too thick and/or soft for the persons sleeping on it. Memory foam is in any density or IFD is never used as a supportive material and if the comfort layer is thicker than 1-2" it would in fact detract from any of the perimeter support of the mattress.

For those who prefer a firmer edge then there are a few latex mattresses that use what’s called a “racetrack” perimeter where the outer few inches of the latex support core is surrounded with a firmer foam. Unfortunately, most of the time if this firmer foam is polyfoam (which is much less durable than latex) will soften and break down sooner than the latex (depending on the density of the polyfoam this can sometimes be a fairly short time). Because of this, it would be much better to use firmer latex in those cases where perimeter support is preferred rather than less durable polyfoam but this is an uncommon construction for latex.

Your next concern is about latex’s pressure-relieving qualities vs memory foam…the choice of materials is a personal preference and there are many people that prefer a Memory Foam feel and are “used” to it to such a degree that any change to a different material may be perceived as very uncomfortable. Memory foam’s greatest advantage is generally considered to be its ability to distribute and relieve pressure. This does not mean however that it is dramatically better than the best of other materials as there are other types of foam like latex or high-quality polyfoam that in their softer versions through compression alone are very close to memory foam in their ability to distribute pressure to levels below personal detection for most people.

Latex can be purchased in ILD’s from as low as 14, similar to memory foam, and it has comparable pressure relieving qualities to memory foam as well due to its ability to form itself to the exact shape of your body profile while you are sleeping and to do this instantly as you change positions. Latex and memory foam share this ability to form a pressure relieving cradle more than other more commonly used materials.

Again, there is nothing wrong with using memory foam in a mattress, provided that the VOC levels are acceptable to you and that you also find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

I understand your frustration but there are other options that you may want to consider that do not come with such a high price point and probably better results as well. If you like the memory foam feel but without the higher VOC emissions an option that may be well worth considering is a slow recovery Dunlop latex topper combined with a good quality/value mattress from Arizona Premium Mattress one of our Trusted members of our site and a TMU mattress expert with their own dedicated forum. This Slow Recovery Latex Foam is produced in the U.S. by Latexco in their Georgia plant. Because of the nature of this product it only comes in “Plush” but Ken will be able to guide you to the best match in terms of your comfort support needs.

These have the slow recovery feel of memory foam combined with many of the advantages of latex and your total sleeping system would be higher quality and a lower price than buying an upper end model with a very high price point. Of course, the risk with this is that you wouldn’t be able to test it first to see exactly how it felt but the combination would certainly be better value and still give you the “slow recovery” feel you seem to like. It would also have the advantage that you could replace the topper when it was necessary without having to replace a whole mattress (toppers will wear out sooner than the mattress below them because they absorb more of the ongoing constant compressions).

You can also read a bit more about soft and slow recovery Dunlop in this article from the Malaysian Rubber Board. There is also this topic about Slow Recovery Latex vs Memory Foam although some of the links provided there are retired.

There are some memory foams that replace a portion of the traditional base with a plant base (typically soy). Another consumer inquired about this same foam in this topic which you may find interesting.

Traditionally, memory foam is made with petroleum chemicals and while many may pass certain emissions and other tests, the bottom line is that a toxin or VOC-free memory foam isn’t going to be an easy find. The memory foam “off-gassing issues” are common in the market today, and some people are more sensitive than others to what the industry calls “safe levels of VOCs”. While all memory foams and polyurethane foams in general (including the “green” ones) use some “nasty” materials in their manufacture, some of them have more of this material left in them by the time you sleep on them than others. For those that are sensitive to off-gassing, this can lead to issues ranging from a reaction to the unpleasant smell itself all the way to respiratory issues caused by the vapors. Your best protection against this is to make sure you know who manufactures the memory foam used in a mattress. If the foam in your mattress has been certified by Certipur or Oeko-tex (or a similar organization), you can be reasonably sure that at least any smell or off-gassing that you may notice has been tested for any potential harm it may cause (within the limits of the test). More natural materials used in mattresses such as different fibers and good quality latex foam (which may also have a less unpleasant odor which lasts for a much shorter time and is usually tested as well) are usually considered to be superior in this area.

I hope the information provided acts as a springboard for moving forward. Let us know if you have additional questions.

Phoenix

1 Like