Any experience adding bottom support layers / springs to wool or other mattress

Second post on this topic. I haven’t found that much here re wool mattress reviews. Just a few reviews that haven’t left me feeling so great about risking wool / whether it will feel too firm.
I am currently sleeping on a cotton futon over my naturepedic base layers which is firm and somewhat bouncy and it is so far a decent combo.
It’s firmer than naturepedic’s firmest comfort (top/ micro coil) layer and it seems to feel good with the firm bottom layer.
However, it’s pricey to keep the naturepedic bottom layers and mattress cover. Also, I need a queen mattress for my bed ultimately.

Anyone have experience creating a good springy or supportive bottom for a wool mattress like one from Shepherd’s dream? Or with Shepherd’s dream or other wool mattresses they like?
I’m on the fence about trying a wool mattress since they are so pricey and you can’t return them… but also I really don’t like latex in my mattresses so I question if the latex base that Shepherd’s Dream has will bother me. My body really fights with latex and doesn’t like it, yet this is just a small layer underneath so maybe it won’t be as uncomfortable?

One other option is to buy springs / pocket coils from DIY Mattress.net website but not sure if these are comfortable and how they might feel under wool mattress. Does anyone have any experience with either of these products? or with setting up support under a wool mattress? I really need some bounce/ support besides just a wood platform and or/ a topper. Open to suggestions for good pocket coils and mattress encasements.

Thanks

Hey Venus,

Good to see you again and thanks for your question :slight_smile: .

I wish there were more consumer posts regarding wool mattress “feel” and performance for your research, Venus. To recap what Nikki and I recommended previously (for those consumers who may be following your posts with similar questions too), there are a number of posts that discuss wool toppers, wool’s performance as a natural fiber, and wool product care in post #2,post #2as well as post #7. Perhaps as your new topic’s question is more specific to wool mattresses, you will receive consumer feedback from a new audience.

If the cotton futon over your Naturepedic base layers are working better for you, would you be open to replacing the twin size cotton futon with a queen size to complete your setup? Queens are readily available in a variety of thicknesses and prices, and are a popular option for those seeking a more firm mattress alternative

You have many excellent questions that trusted member Shepherd’s Dreamwould be happy to help you with, Venus! They have many years of component design experience both in the wool category and with helping consumers decide whether they are a good match for natural fiber bedding. You may call their toll free number: 1-877-721-8805, use their email contact form, or if you’d rather, our support team can reach out to them for a response to this post. Please let me know if you’d like our help with a call from Shepherd’s Dream’s team.

I’ve been following your similar conversation with on consumers on this point in a different thread and will be interested in hearing more of this pocket coils/ encasement conversation. If you do decide to try a wool mattress, be sure you follow the manufacturer’s guidelines regarding proper foundation support, as wool requires adequate air circulation to maintain its useful life. Good luck Venus and let us know which way you decide to go :wink: .

Thanks,
Sensei

Sensei,

do you know anything about mattresses that use both wool AND pocket coils all in one such as “the wool room” mattress?
It looks interesting, although hard to tell of course how it would be to sleep on the tufted top as well as cotton top/ wool re impressions over time.
Wondering if you or others have heard of this company or others that combine wool and springs so there is more support built in from the start.
Not sure this will help the “comfort” issue I have been reading about here where several people have found little pressure relief from their wool mattresses/ found the experience too firm.
Thanks

Hey Venus,

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile: .

I’m not personally familiar with Woolroom mattress products and as they have no affiliation with TMU, I cannot speak to their mattresses’ quality or performance. I did check out their site and examined a product cutaway of the Wooly Mattress. The tufted cover would act as a stabilizer for the upper comfort materials and may firm up the feel of the mattress surface somewhat, but without direct knowledge of the product, that is difficult to speculate on. The use of wool combined with microcoils as a comfort layer over a pocket coil support core is consistent with a higher-priced mattress design. According to their site, Woolroom does provide a 100 night sleep trial on the Wooly Mattress and Topper when purchased with their mattress protector, as well as consultation for choosing their products, so that gives you options should you not be satisfied over time.

Wool has unique benefits to offer as a mattress ingredient. It is a natural fiber and the use of wool in a mattress allows for a natural FR solution. It’s inherent air circulation properties promote cooler sleep in the summer and warmer sleep in the winter. In many cases when a manufacturer features a “natural” or “organic” story, they are utilizing wool combined with a traditional design of a coil support core to create that product. I wish I could be more helpful in describing how a wool and pocket coil mattress may “feel”, but as how you perceive any mattress’s feel is unique to you, I can only speak to the fact-side of component specs as they are presented :wink: .

Thanks,
Sensei

Thanks Sensei.
Are you aware of any other companies/ are there any TMU’s on the site that mix wool and coils?
I only know of the wool only items like Shepherd’s dream and everything I read about wool makes it sounds a bit too firm for me.
It’s hard to know if putting a wool mattress myself over pocket coils (and or micro coils) will work. Also, I would need to then figure out an encasement for the springs and the whole mattress if such a thing exists that is that deep.

The local natural mattress store I spoke with felt that springs under a wool mattress would not penetrate much given the thickness of the mattress.
Curious if you have any thoughts. I’m waiting to talk to Shepherd’s Dream/ to hear back from them but still feels too risky to spend that much on an unknown that’s not returnable.
I need to decide whether to keep my naturepedic bottom layers in the next two weeks or just go for another brand and see what transpires using my current futon on top of coils…

I would consider an innerspring mattress with natural fibers but keep reading the fibers compress and the mattress gets too firm. Am open to any suggestions/ recs for ones you like or have heard do not compress much.

The Parachute mattress uses wool over micro coils over pocketed coils. Ive never tried it but it looks interesting.

[quote=“Mr yabo” post=87016]The Parachute mattress uses wool over micro coils over pocketed coils. Ive never tried it but it looks interesting.
[/quote]

Mr Yabo, I know you’ve done extensive research. Do you happen to know if anyone sells sheets of micro coils separately so we could try them in a DIY configuration?

Hickory springs :smiling_face: