Any experience with Eco Bedroom Solutions?

My husband and I just tried out several mattresses at a local store, and the one he liked best is made by a company I haven’t seen mentioned here. Do you know anything about Eco Bedroom Solutions, specifically the Valencia mattress?

The other beds we’ve liked are the PLB Beautiful and the Savvy Rest Serenity (in soft-med-firm Dunlop). I liked the Savvy Rest best, but he felt like there was too much movement. I thought the Valencia felt a lot like memory foam on top - very conforming. It felt like it was trying to eat me, or at least trying to cling to me.

For reference, he’s 300lbs and I’m 200, and we’re looking for king sized latex beds that will minimize sleeping hot and motion transference.

Hi shadowsong,

A forum search on Ergovea (you can just click the link) will bring up the forum posts that mention their mattresses … but they don’t mention Eco Bedroom Solutions which is the company that makes them. They are a fairly new startup that started business in the first half of 2013 and specialize in GOLS certified organic 100% natural Dunlop latex mattresses with stretch knit organic cotton covers and a rayon/silica fire barrier and are sold through relatively small group of stores that carry them (including https://www.ergosleepsystems.com/ in Berkeley which was the first store to carry them). They also sell latex toppers.

They use high quality and durable materials and since they are all latex there are no weak links in their mattresses in terms of durability.

Of course I would always make sure that you do some careful testing on any mattress you are considering to make sure that they are a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and make meaningful “value” comparisons with your other finalists because they may also be in a more premium price range than some other similar mattresses. There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Both the PLB Beautiful and the Savvy Rest mattresses use high quality materials as well but the Ergovea would be most closely comparable to the Savvy Rest with Dunlop latex layers (they also use organic Dunlop but also have the option for 100% natural Talalay in one or more layers). The PLB Beautiful uses blended Talalay latex. There is more about the difference between Talalay and Dunlop latex in post #7 here.

I would also be very cautious with the Beautiful with your weights (especially his) because it uses fairly thick layers of some very soft latex in the top 6" (3" of 14 ILD and 3" of 24 ILD) which could be a risky design for him both in terms of maintaining good spinal alignment and in terms of durability (softer versions of all foam materials including latex are less durable than firmer versions of the same material).

Latex is “good” at motion transference but not quite as good as memory foam but you will be able to test this in person when you test the mattresses together (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial).

There is also more about the many variables that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here. Latex is generally more breathable and temperature neutral than other foam materials but Dunlop isn’t as breathable as Talalay and there are some people that may sleep warm if they sleep directly on softer layers of latex because all foam materials are more insulating than natural fibers like wool. This is one of the reasons that many latex mattresses use wool quilting in the cover to help with temperature regulation and it also acts as a natural fire barrier.

Phoenix