Any information Haven Mattress

I’ve been looking for “safe”, non-offgassing, chemical free mattresses for my family. It is hard trying to purchase mattresses with so much misleading information out there. I was considering Essentia until I read about their matresses on this site. The Organicpedic website seemed amateurish and I became hesitant when I had to choose between organic latex dunlop or talalay. I stumbled upon Haven Mattresses made in Canada. They seem pretty transparent claiming low VOCs at 0.5 parts per million (whatever that means). Their price point is great, which makes me question their health and safety claims. Can you shed some light on their matresses please?

Thank you for reaching out. I’m sorry but I am not familiar with that company. Can you send me a link to the product you are interested in so I can review and get back to you?

Thank you, that would be much appreciated. https://www.havenmattress.ca

It would be helpful to know which specific model you’re considering, i.e. their 8", 10" or 14" mattress.

Oddly enough I’m considering all of them. The 6" or 8" for my kids who are 8 and 5 years old. I’d like the 10" but I’d probably end up going with the 14" because my wife prefers a more plush matress. Sorry if that makes things more difficult.

Of course Ken is the true expert on this section of TMU, but I noticed a few general things I’d like to point out looking over the Haven Mattresses. First is that there is quite a bit of non-latex “Bio-foam” (5.5" in the 14" model for example) for which there are no densities specified. Foam density is the best indicator of such foam’s quality and durability and not having it given raises a flag questioning the maker’s transparency. My second red flag about the Haven mattresses involves their warranty regarding body impressions. The industry standard for such warranty coverage seems to be 1.5" while some of the better brands using more durable materials cover depressions over 0.5" or 0.75". To be honest I don’t recall ever seeing a warranty like Haven’s which specifically excludes normal body impressions of less than 2". That’s an unusually high threshold which is unlikely to ever be met for a potential claim and I also noticed that they exclude the “mattress fabric covering materials” entirely from the warranty. While the mattress appears quite plush and may offer good initial comfort for some these concerns would lead me to look elsewhere,

Thank you for this detailed analysis, I will look elsewhere for a matress for my wife and I. How do you feel about their 6" or even their 8" for my kids. They are 8 and 5 years old, I can’t see them leaving too large of a body impression since they are 60 and 50 pounds. My main concern for my kids is how natural and chemically “safe” the matresses are. Its mentioned that they are CertiPUR-US but apparently that doesn’t mean much. And I didnt read anything about any GOTS or GOLS certifications. Do you think these matresses are as safe as they claim?

I don’t have any experience regarding mattress suitability for children so I’ll leave that for others to address. Glad I could be of some help!

• Bill

Hi Dileo,

Welcome to the Mattress forum :slight_smile: and thanks for your posts. I moved this thread the General Mattress Questions. (Thanks Sweet Dreams for your Haven Mattress analysis. We appreciate your contributions.)

You may have read this already but just in case you haven’t … there is more information in selecting children’s mattress and the topics it links to about mattresses and children and “suitable” and “safe” materials including a link to some general guidelines for children in post #2 here. It also includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattress and children as well which have more information about many good options for children which would be well worth considering.

Any mattress that uses materials that are durable enough and are in a suitable firmness range and that has a reliable safety certification and you consider to be safe enough would be a suitable choice for a child regardless of whether it has an organic certification.

As always, our trusted mattress members are an excellent source to look for suitable and safe mattresses for you and your children. I say this with confidence because of the transparency of our members with the materials they use, which is not something Haven Mattress likes to disclose to consumers.

Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions.
Phoenix.