Any information on Dormia?

This is a fine site filled with lots of quality information.

However, I searched the forums and didn’t come up with much information on Dormia. I’m considering getting one of their memory foam mattresses. What do you know about their products?

Thank you.

Hi shirleyuguest,

Dormia is a trademarked brand name for Classic Brands.

They make some some good quality and value mattresses but a mattress is only as good as the quality of its construction and materials and the only way to assess any mattress is to know the specific details of all the layers and components in the mattress. The brand is just the name of a manufacturer that builds the mattress and puts the materials inside a cover … and their label on the cover.

The key with any successful mattress purchase is to test for it’s suitability in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences), compare it to other similar mattresses for quality, value, and likely durability based on the materials inside it, and then to add in all the other objective, subjective, and even intangible factors that are the most important parts of your personal value equation.

Each manufacturer or “brand” makes many mattresses that usually range from lower quality and lower budgets to higher quality and higher budgets and the brand name itself is not nearly as knowing how to make meaningful comparisons between them.

If you can list the specific materials and layers in the mattress you are considering I’d be happy to let you know my thoughts about it.

Phoenix

[size=3]Thanks for your reply, Phoenix. The mattress I’m zeroing in on has these materials that are Certa-Pur certified (+made in China).

[ol]
[li]1" 4 lb. 10 ILV memory foam[/li]
[li]2" 4 lb. 12 ILV memory foam[/li]
[li]Base=7" polyurethane foam 30 ILV[/li][/ol]

I’m very interested in your feedback.

Thanks!

Shirley[/size]

Hi shirleyuguest,

4 lb memory foam is in the midrange in terms of density and is a popular choice because for many people it feels better than higher density memory foam. Of course the thickness and specific properties of the memory foam layers (along with the base polyfoam layer) will also make a big difference in how it feels and performs for your body type and sleeping position so your own careful and objective testing in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) would also be important. If you are in a higher weight range (about 200 lbs and up) then I would also consider using either 5 lb memory foam or at least a combination of 4 and 5 lb that had a little less of the 4 lb material.

They don’t mention the density of the base polyfoam layer but as a general guideline I would look for about 1.8 lb density or higher unless the mattress is in a lower budget range and you are average weight or lighter in which case 1.5 lb polyfoam could also work well (the weak link of most mattresses are usually in the upper layers). If you are heavier or “go through” and sink into the comfort layers more (either because they are softer or you are heavier) then 1.8 lbs or higher would be a better choice in most cases.

Phoenix

[size=4]Phoenix,

I’ve heard from several sources that it was unwise to buy memory foam manufactured outside of the U.S.A. Here are a few examples:

The Dormia Luna mattress I’m looking at has its foam (+ probably the entire mattress) made in China. Classic Brands customer service claims that all are CertiPUR.US. To quote from their email to me:

"Per our conversation I am confirming that the memory foam and base foam used in Classic Brands mattresses contain certified flexible polyurethane foam, certified by CertiPur-US. Below is the link to the CertiPur-US website that shows Classic Brands listed as a company that offers products that are certified through their program."

For some reason, when speaking Classic Brands customer service rep, she didn’t want to specify Dormia Luna, saying that the fact they are shown/linked on the CertiPUR-US site should be enough. However, red flags come up for me at the rep’s reticence, especially when CertiPUR’s site states:

Please be aware that while some companies only offer products with certified foams, other companies offer certified foams in certain products or certain product lines. Ask to be sure.

Here’s a direct link to the site:

ADMIN NOTE: *Removed 404 link|Archived Footprint: certipur.us/pages/for-consumers/find-products/

What do you think, Phoenix?

Thanks,

Shirley :slight_smile: [/size]

[b]Also, is there any other organization/seal of quality approval/quality assurance that exists for memory foam products?

Hi Shirley,

These kinds of “absolute” statements are rarely based on fact and are usually just an opinion that has been poorly researched and repeated often enough that they take on the appearance of being factual when they’re not. As often as not … they are more about marketing than anything else (ie: buy my mattress and not “that” mattress). There are good quality foams being manufactured in China and poor quality foams as well. If a foam pourer is pouring and testing their product to the same standards as a foam poured in the US then there would be little reason to differentiate between them except perhaps for reasons that had nothing to do with the quality or safety of the foam such as a personal preference to buy American. The Classic Brands manufacturing facility in China manufactures to the same standards as US facilities and are CertiPur certified so I would put them on a level playing field and compare their foam quality based on density. They meet the guidelines I use for memory foam in post #10 here although if someone wants to exclude them because of their country of origin then that would be a personal decision that they of course could make for reasons other than the quality or relative safety of the foam. From a safety point of view I would have no issue with any of the foam they use in their mattresses although of course even CertiPur is not a guarantee some people who are very sensitive or who suffer from MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) for example won’t have issues with memory foam or polyfoam (or other materials that most people wouldn’t be sensitive to) no matter where it’s made but they are outside the norm.

CertiPur isn’t perfect but it’s certainly a step in the right direction.

There are a few memory foams that are certified by Oeko-Tex which is a stricter standard than CertiPur (such as Spaldin mattresses) but these are mostly made in Europe. There are also a few foams that are certified by GreenGuard (such as Tempflow mattresses) but CertiPur is by far the most common certification standard in North America for polyfoam and memory foam.

Phoenix