Any pitfalls to purchasing mattress set from out of state?

Looking to replace my 15-year old queen set and interested in purchasing from The Mattress Factory located in Texas but I am located in Delaware. Is it wise to make a purchase without a test-drive? I am 6ft3in, 190LBS, side-sleeper with lower back discomfort. My wife prefers a firm mattress but after reading articles on your site I would benefit from a softer mattress. Any recommendations which would suit both of us?

Hi ddoherty,

In a word … I would say no. When you are looking for a mattress that you haven’t tested in person then the options you have available after a purchase to either fine tune your mattress or return it can be one of the most important parts of the “value” of your purchase because it’s very easy to make a “mistake” and the cost of returning a complete mattress can be prohibitive.

I would follow the steps in post #1 here and if you do choose to purchase a mattress from out of your area or online I would make the options you have available after a purchase one of the most important parts of your personal value equation.

Phoenix