Any suggestions for firm mattresses in Calgary AB?

Well, after some time and a large variety of adjustments, we’ve decided very sadly that we have to give up on our latex mattress. We’ve worked with the manufacturer (Halstead - they’ve gone above and beyond), but despite firming up every layer to their max, we just don’t feel supported enough for our liking; and more importantly, we’ve been feeling progressively more achy with each week we were spending on it.

We’ve reverted to our guest futon for now, and are already feeling much better. So we’re on the lookout for a new mattress for ourselves. The problem is, between these recent experiments and a couple of trips outside of North America, we’re definitely convinced we sleep best on mattresses that are firmer than most found here. In fact, the only couple of stores (i.e. not custom manufacturers) we’ve gone to have said that the one we like is the one they keep in stock for Asian clients. :slight_smile:

We also really dislike the feel of foam as comfort layer, so we’d prefer to find something with little to no comfort layer and add our own. By far the most comfortable thing we’ve tried so far was a custom firm pocket spring from Sleep Boutique, with a wool topper. We love the feel of fibre for comfort - made my own pillow out of high density foam and wool, and it’s all I can use now. Sadly, the combo was about $1600, and after dropping $2500 not that long ago (and a couple of other major financial things going on right now that weren’t on the radar before) that’s out of what we can afford right now. Would like to stay under or even around $1000 for the combo if even remotely possible. We know we’ll have to compromise on something to get what we want at the price point, but we can accept taking a hit on longevity. By the time one wears out hopefully our budget will have recovered. :slight_smile:

Anyone have thoughts on affordable places that still have decent quality, maybe that cater to European or Asian markets so we have a higher chance of finding what we like? We’ve tried all of the obvious mattress chains, as well as Ikea, Sears, etc… and Sleep Boutique, as mentioned above. TMASCs site doesn’t look like they have anything in our preference range that’s remotely near what we can spend. Same with Black Sheep.

They don’t need to have the toppers - I’ve found a couple of good options for those. Just looking for the mattress at this point.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Hi teleute,

Thanks for the follow-up again. I’m sorry it’s turning out that latex just doesn’t seem to be your preference (we talked about this in your last posts). I am happy to hear that Halstead has done their best to work with you to find a solution.

It may be that you prefer a more “traditional” firm comfort, using either natural materials or firmer polyfoam atop an innerspring unit. This seems to be what you’re leaning towards fromyour previous comments and experiences.

Aside from Halstead, Sleep Boutique would have been one of my other suggestions, as they can make some less expensive custom mattresses. Did you check on the cost of a very simple innerspring mattress using a minimal amount of higher-density polyfoam that is of a higher ILD (firmer)? Then maybe you could use one of your topper sources (perhaps a natural fiber) on top of that. This could help keep your cost down.

I don’t have a listing of stores that cater to particular geographic clientele, but what I think you’re looking for would be a very simple firm mattress using minimal amounts of comfort material.

I have also discontinued the provision of listings of potential retailers in various geographic regions (unless they are already approved site members), because of the difficulty in maintaining such lists in a retail landscape that is constantly changing, and most importantly the confusion it was creating with the consumer members who incorrectly assumed that these businesses had indeed gone through the strict vetting and qualification process that is part of becoming an approved member of The Mattress Underground. Such an assumption is unfair to both the consumers seeking assistance, as well as the very businesses and manufacturers who have indeed qualified the be members here of The Mattress Underground.

You can perform a [url=http://forum.mattressunderground.com/c/search.html[forum search[/url] on Calgary see what other businesses and manufacturers have been discussed on the forum in that region which may be helpful to you. You may wish to explore specifically mattress manufacturers and perhaps even futon/shikibuton manufacturers.

Whatever business you’re considering, always confirm that any retailer or manufacturer that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and also make sure that any mattress that you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here.

If you have any questions about specifications or certain products you discover, feel free to post back on the forum and I’ll do my best to be assistive.

Phoenix

Teleute,

I lived in Calgary for about a year, and it is true that there is a large ethnic-origin representation of Asia in the area (15%-20% according to Calgary Economic Development), and of course furniture retailers do have offerings that help to cater to the varied ethnic groups in the greater Calgary area, which is quite diverse.

It is interesting how overall, even with the “influence” of Western culture, how most Asian cultures still tend to prefer sleeping on firmer and more basic sleep systems. The reason for this isn’t fully known, but the most prominent suppositions are the continuation of the cultural history of sleeping upon firmer items and sleeping in the supine position, as well as theories regarding the differences in anthropometrical characteristics. Haex and his group have compiled some data on this.

A few furniture markets ago I tried out a line of products from a Malaysian Therapedic licensee and great googily-moogily were those mattresses firm. But I found them to be a very solid and “comfortable” firm product. The items I tested were a mix of Western components and foams to create a comfort that was popular for the Malaysian marketplace. These mattresses uses pocketed springs combined with higher density memory foam, latex and HR polyfoam of a higher ILD. Very, very solid items. I liked them.

As it’s been a while since I’ve lived in Calgary and I don’t have any specific retailers that I remember, but I do recall that I personally had a futon custom-made and it was reasonable in price and quite firm, so you may wish to consider that to stay within your budget. You could also find a more basic innerspring mattress using hard and fewer layers of polyfoam, and then maybe use a thin wool topper above that.

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go

That combo (their simplest innerspring with minimal foam, plus their wool topper) is the combo that was about $1600. With a wool topper from elsewhere, we can bring that down by about $200-250, but still higher than we were hoping at this time.

Thanks! The issue we’ve been finding so far is that any of the more basic, less foam mattresses we’ve found have been super cheap (and cheap feeling!), with quite low coil counts, notable creaking, and just not feeling sturdy. When we get up over $500 and up to at least 700 coils (I know counts aren’t everything, but anything less than that for a queen just doesn’t inspire confidence), everything has more foam than we want.

The only other thing I’ve seen that’s a promising lead is a mattress at Costco (Sealy Cascata). The construction looks to be fairly close to what we’d be looking for, and price is okay, given that it includes delivery. I’m hesitant to get one online, but none of the local stores have this one, and even when they have them you can’t try them out. But…Costco’s customer service/return policy is phenomenal, so…I can’t rule it out entirely. :slight_smile: Definitely a huge plus for buying from Costco over anywhere else.

The search continues…but definitely, pocket coil/minimal foam is what we seem to be after. Just would like to hit a balance between quality and price that we haven’t found yet - basically, solid construction that doesn’t creak a tonne or won’t fall apart in a couple of years, but not necessarily “high end we’re going to get 20 good years out of it”. Like a 2.5 or 3 out of 5, at least. In more foam-filled mattresses there’s lots of variety locally in the $600-750 range, which we’d be fine with (plus topper that would still keep us at or around $1000), but just haven’t found that for one with less foam. Which seems odd, but I guess it’s a supply and demand thing.

Oooh…sounds ideal. Not seeing anything locally that seems to be in that niche, from your description, but it’s given me some new search terms to try, anyway. :slight_smile: Thanks!

[quote=“MattressToGo” post=73684]You could also find a more basic innerspring mattress using hard and fewer layers of polyfoam, and then maybe use a thin wool topper above that.
[/quote]

That’s exactly what we’re looking for! Just one that won’t feel every spring or fall apart within a year or two. Haven’t found anything in that middle ground yet. Still looking, though! :slight_smile:

Teleute:

Here’s a photo of the one beast that was a super comfortable firm item:

This probably would have been a $2000 queen set. I don’t recall the exact details. But very high quality.

Good luck in your search. It’s difficult when you want minimal layers of foam, as those will tend to be paired with the more basic innerspring units and more prone to noise and also lower durability. When a more “premium” innerspring unit is used, there will tend to be more foam layers (which obviously doesn’t mean that the mattress will be plush) for a "higher quality’ level of comfort. This will also help insulate a bit from noise. If you do end up going with one of the “name brand” mattresses that use less foam (but will be a lower density foam), try something that uses as firm of a foam as possible to make that lower density foam be as durable as possible.

Good luck!

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go