Anyone have experience with a Sealy mattress?

Hi,

My brother purchased a Sealy mattress today (Sealy Posturepedic Optimum Chill Vivienne Set) from Sleep Country for $1800 CAD. I’ve read on here that you shouldn’t really purchase a mattress from companies such as these as they will boost up the price for just above average material.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with Sealy and their Optimum model and if what my brother bought was worth it. Looking at their website it doesn’t tell me the exact specs, just that it has the following material:

-The Liquid Gel Opticore™ offers the perfect mix of support and comfort.
            -The Gel Memory foam provides pressure relief for your shoulders and hips.
            -The reinforced center third provides additional support for your lower back, right where you need it most.

https://www.sleepcountry.ca/sealy-posturepedic-optimum-chill-vivienne-set-9

I am trying to convince him to return it and purchase from a business that’s recommended on here where he can call and have better details regarding a product. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Hi Lyf,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry that your brother made his purchase before visiting the site here. I think you’ve misunderstood the recommendations we make here for selecting a mattress. We give you the tools about “how” to choose a mattress, beginning with the outline presented in the mattress shopping tutorial here. And specifically, we advise against purchasing anything where you are not able to acquire the complete specifications of the materials inside to determine the durability of those materials. Unfortunately, the major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay, which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here). And as you discovered, Sleep Country doesn’t offer any meaningful specifications on their web site in order to make an educated analysis of this product.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful, using someone else’s opinion of a product is one of the least reliable manners to select a mattress. I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

The site members here on the forum certainly are a great place to start a mattress shopping experience, and I think highly of them and the service, products and quality of advice they offer. But regardless of where your brother may decide to shop, I would recommend to begin with the mattress shopping tutorial guidelines I linked to previously, as they will provide him a good objective template to evaluate any product that he might consider.

If he comes up with more specific questions, I’ll be happy to do my best to answer them.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for the reply, I will relay the message to him and get him to do some research. We reside in Vancouver, BC, so I was wondering if its possible for you to help him narrow his search for which store to contact for the ones that are located on this site and would ship to Vancouver because all the ones that are on here is not close to us.

Thanks again for the fast reply,
Lyf

Hi Lyf.

I know that you asked for a listing of any Canadian retailer or manufacturers members of this site who ship to Canada, but just for clarity and for other consumers who might stumble on this topic, I don’t make recommendations for stores unless they are a vetted member here of the site.

I have decided to discontinue the provision of listings of potential retailers in various geographic regions (unless they are already approved site members), because of the difficulty in maintaining such lists in a retail landscape that is constantly changing, and most importantly the confusion it was creating with the consumer members who incorrectly assumed that these businesses had indeed gone through the strict qualification process and were approved as members of The Mattress Underground. Such an assumption is unfair to both the consumers seeking assistance, as well as the very businesses and manufacturers who have indeed qualified the be members here of The Mattress Underground.

Aside from that, I would always confirm that any retailer or manufacturer that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and also make sure that any mattress that you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here. If you have any questions about specifications or certain products, feel free to post back on the forum and I’ll do my best to provide answers.

Below is the Canadian TMU site members who also ship to Vancouver BC:

[Indent]
Dormio Organic Beds (have natural & organic latex mattress. Most of their mattresses can be customized (both before & after the purchase) either by re-arranging or exchanging the layers, or with a side split layer (for sleeping partners with different needs and preferences)
Halstead Sofa and Mattress Makers Calgary (call to order) have customization & personalization with all their products, including the type of material that works best for you.
Memory Foam ComfortCustomizable after purchase options + Free shipping in CA
Sleep Boutique Canada wide shipping
The Mattress & Sleep Company Free delivery in CA
[/Indent]

There are also US site Members with good quality/value mattresses that are shipping to Canada which you may wish to consider.

If you would still like to venture into finding a local store in or around Vancouver, BC you can perform a forum search on Vancouver to see what businesses have been previously discussed on the forum for that area.

If after looking into the available options you have more specific questions, please feel free to reply back and I’ll do my best to be assistive to help your brother find a suitable sleeping system.

Phoenix