Anyone heard of Capital Bedding Company in Michigan or Michigan Mattress?

Hello,

I tried to do a search in the forum to see if there was any info on these two companies but could not find any. Basically, my wife and I were burned when we bought a $2k+ Simmons beauty rest just 4 years ago as now its sagging and is giving us huge back pains. I have read the Mattress guideline on this forum and it has some good info but still a little confused. I really want a flippable mattress as I believe these last longer. My budget is about $1k but will go more if the “quality” is proven! I fear spending big bucks on a mattress only to get burned 4 years later. I was hoping Capital Bedding Company which sells locally in my area or Michigan Mattress (hour drive) would be able to offer a quality mattress at a good price. Has anyone ever heard of them? Below are some specs on Capital’s mattress. Thanks

Hi dan87951,

This thread has some of my thoughts about Capitol Bedding (which is a wholesale manufacturer) and Jim at Michigan Mattress (aka TCbedrooms).

The default for the forum search parameters is “a year ago” for the “find posts from” setting but if you change this to “any date” it will pick up on all the posts in the forum.

All three of the mattresses you linked would probably have better quality/value than anything comparable made by one of the mainstream manufacturers and most of these don’t make two sided mattresses anyway so they really wouldn’t have anything that was really an “apples to apples” comparison with these. I would probably tend to avoid the plushest model of the three though because of the greater risk of foam softening with thicker polyfoam layers in this density leading to the loss of comfort or support a little more quickly than the other two choices you have.

Phoenix

Thanks for the quick reply! I actually prefer my mattress to be a medium firm strength so the plush one is an out for me. I was just listing that one so you could get an idea of the specs. Do the specs look like quality materials are used? I also called Buis over in Holland Michigan (also on the recommended list for this site) and I like there no “BS approach” when I was talking with him. I mainly interested in there “Traditional Line” (specs below) which has the below specs. Seems like there coil wire is of better quality than Capital Bedding.

Features:
has 360, 400 and 8-turn hand crafted innerspring incorporates 8 different types of coils within the innerspring system — coils are designed for specific and different needs of the body
Dual gauge innerspring — 12.5 gauge heavier wire in the hip and torso area to increase support and durability. 13 gauge wire used in the head and foot area to provide a softer, supple feel for shoulders
Alternating left turn, right turn coiling system — for a more balanced sleep surface
Progressive resistance coils — provides a more conforming innerspring
Posturized innerspring unit
Heavy-duty wood and steel working box spring — eases innerspring stress for longer service life, gives a richer feel to the mattress
Non-pillowtop models are two-sided — provides much longer service life when flipped regularly
Available in 9 models, from firm to plush

Hi an87951,

Quality is really relative to budget because lower budget mattresses would not have the same quality materials as higher budget mattresses yet both of them could have similar value (good quality for the price).

1.5 lb foam is low/mid quality (the lower end of higher quality polyfoam is in the range of about 1.8 lbs) but in the right design … and particularly in a two sided mattress … can produce a relatively durable mattress and of course the quality of the materials has little to do with the feel and performance of a mattress … only how long it will stay close to its original specs.

Buis would certainly be my choice over the others you are mentioning and they are a recommended member of this site which means I believe they are among the best quality/value in the country. They are also very knowledgeable about the mattresses they make and the relative benefits of different materials and will provide you with good guidance about the pros and cons of your choices.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply! I just got back from trying out a Capital Bedding Brayden II Mattress and it was very comfortable. The lady I spoke to said they are not using the foam (the bed I linked was the old model “Brayden”) anymore and have upgraded to latex for the top bedding. From your website latex is suppose to be Superior to foam, correct? I’m going to try and get over to Buris in Holland on Thursday or Saturday to try out theirs. The Capital Bedding Brayden II is a $1700 mattress with box spring (includes delivery and haul away) which is a little more than I want to spend and the Bruis is $1150 /w box spring (no delivery).

Hi dan87951,

Compared to most of the polyurethane that you will encounter, most latex has superior properties and durability yes.

Don’t forget though that a mattress is only as durable as it’s weakest link and the durability of a mattress depends on all the layers and how they work together as well as the person on the mattress … not just having a single layer of latex in the mattress. You can read more about the factors involved in durability in post #4 here and the posts it links to. To make meaningful comparisons between mattresses you need to know the details of every layer and component in the mattress not just one layer.

Phoenix

I ended up going with a Buis Diamond series mattress as I preferred the 2.8lb density foam over the 1.8. I had no problem getting the 5% discount either. Will keep everyone posted on the longevity of the mattress. The person I spoke to Marc, was very knowledgeable and was not pushy at all. I should be sleeping on Cloud 9 once again by the 17th of next week.

Hi an87951,

As you know I think very highly of Marc and 2.8 lb HR polyfoam is certainly a very high quality and durable foam.

I think you made a great choice and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix