Anyone tried Cedar Mattress by Brentwood Home?

Just curious if anyone has any opinions on this cedar mattress. It seems like it would be a good, comfortable mattress, and I see that someone posted the specs for Phoenix a while back and he gave a thumbs up for the components.

It appears to be a relatively new mattress so I can’t find any reviews or even mention on the internet. I like the way it has a substantial layer of wool and tufted cotton on top of the latex so there is more of a thick layer between you and the latex. I’m trying to decide between this mattress and the Winkbed. Thanks for any advice. -Chance

Hi Chancee,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I believe you’re referencing this thread.

The Brentwood Cedar uses:
Cotton ticking quilted to wool, tufted design.
2" Dunlop Latex (5.3lb medium-firm, 4.0lb medium plush)
2" 4.7 lb Groved Dunlop
Flaxseed Fiber pad
8" pocketed spring system (I believe the Leggett and Platt Quantum Edge Elite Combi-Zone)
Coconut husk support layer

The Winkbed is a different design, using:
Cover: Tencel stretch fabric
Comfort Layers: 1" 1.5 lb Hypersoft polyfoam (17 ILD) in quilt, 1" 1.5 lb gel polyfoam (17 ILD),
1353 (queen size) microcoil foam encased (1.5 lb density (65 ILD) for encasement), densified cotton lumbar pad.
Support Layers: Pocket coil (858 coils/queen foam encased with 4.5" of 1.5 lb polyfoam), 2" 1.5 lb polyfoam base (28 ILD).
Available in Soft, Medium, Firm, Plus.

I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. A mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In the end, reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

If you’re unable to test either of these mattresses in person, then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with the manufacturer. They will have your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc.) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Thanks for the response! I’ll probably do just that then… give them a call tomorrow. I’m just really surprised I can’t find any info whatsoever anywhere on the internet about this mattress. Especially considering how each and every mattress is reviewed and scrutinized to no end these days. And also since it does seem to possess a lot of the high quality components that the exact kind of people who do all the scrutinizing are usually looking for. Maybe no one wants to be first. I’m pretty close to pulling the trigger… if I do, I’ll report back my results. Thanks

Hi Chancee,

Often, the “buzz” about a new mattress is driven by “review” / “revenue” sites who have it as their best interest to promote a certain product, due to either reimbursed advertising or through affiliate programs where they are paid when people click through on their own web site to purchase a particular mattress. I’m not aware of the marketing strategy that Brentwood Home uses, so just because something isn’t mentioned much online shouldn’t necessarily be a surprise, and I wouldn’t let that be a major factor in your decision-making process.

And I will look forward to your comments if you do decide to make a purchase!

Phoenix

I find myself with a similar decision between the Brentwood Home Cedar and the Nest Latex Hybrid. Has anyone formed and more solid opinion on Brentwood home has a company? Quality-wise, it’s $200 more for the Brentwood Home Cedar and I like that it is tufted and has a substantial wool layer. I also like that the spring unit is zoned, where has the current version of The Nest hybrid latex isn’t. Is it worth paying the extra $200 for these two features? Does tufting really make a mattress better / more durable? Nest seems to be a very good quality as well, but it seems they have changed the design to only have a 1-inch wool topper. I don’t like the feeling of laying directly on latex and I am looking for a softer but supported mattress. Any further opinions? Thank you for your help.

Hi Idahodad.

Welcome to our forum. :slight_smile:

While both mattresses you are considering will be good quality/value and very durable options, the choice to purchase one over the other would be more connected with your own needs and preferences and with your own personal value equation and what is important to you.

Zoning systems of various types can sometimes be useful and worth considering for people that have more difficulty finding a mattress with the right “balance” between comfort/pressure relief (under the shoulders especially) and support/alignment/pressure (under the hips/pelvis especially) or who have more challenging circumstances or sensitivities, body types that are more difficult to “match” to a mattress, more complex medical issues, or who have a history of having more difficulty in finding a mattress that works well for them. Unless you have special requirements I wouldn’t get as caught up in the complexities of a zoned versus non-zoned pocketed coil innerspring unit. There is more about zoning in this article and in post #11 here and the additional posts it links to but once again the only way to know whether any specific mattress (zoned or otherwise) will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Pressure and alignment, and Personal Preferences) will be based on your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience. Both certainly can be appropriate for a majority of individuals, and each of the innerspring units will work together with the comfort layers of the mattress to provide an overall support and comfort, and nothing will be able to replace your own personal testing to see what combinations, if any, that you prefer.

Tufting or “bunching” of the material and attaching it to deeper layers of a mattress is used in different construction methods as a way of creating a certain comfort and also enhancing durability. It is most often used in traditional innerspring mattresses, like the ones that contain a majority of polyfoam in the comfort layers to enhance durability or … it is used in mattresses that contain very high-quality fibers as a way to help overcome the tendency of all natural fibers to compress and become firmer over time. In a component-style system such as the one offered by NestBedding…, mattress tufting would prohibit the layer removal and adjustments which is component style systems prized for. If you are looking for any after purchase customization then Nest would have the advantage of allowing for fine-tuning the layers to match certain comfort/support requirements where the layers can be reconfigured or replaced,

I don’t know how important tufting or zoning is to you but Nest recently reworked two of their popular lineups. (The hybrid you are looking at and the All Latex) This week they shipped the new models to all their showrooms across the country. And depending on where you live you might be able to go and test them. The new mattress specs for Nest Natural Hybrid Latex (thicker quilting 2" of Eco Flex foam quilted to 1.5") seem to better match your preference to be further away from the latex layer underneath. You can find the information about both the Natural and the Organic versions in Post #25 here.

I hope the information provided helps you out with your choice and I look forward to learn about your final decision and of course any other questions you might have along the way.

Phoenix

Not sure if this is the right way to add to a question after two years, but is anyone familiar with the Cypress Hybrid by Brentwood Home? I’m attracted by the lack of fiberglass and natural materials, but concerned there aren’t enough layers of foam over the coils.