APM kids mattress purchase - firmness questions

Hello,
After many (way way too many) hours (over the last year,) I’m finally decided on buying an Arizona Premium Mattress kids mattress in a twin size for my daughter (almost 5 and 48lbs.) Latex Beds for Kids, Eco Sleep Hybrid Latex / Pocket Coil Mattress, Latex Mattresses-Talalay and Dunlop, All Products

I’m hoping for something that will last her until adulthood. The options are
Soft
Medium
Firm
Soft/Firm (reversible)

After much reading I think I need to eliminate the Soft and Firm options, since I want it good for her now (Soft wouldn’t be,) and good for her later (Firm definitely wouldn’t be since she will be curvy.) Would the Soft/Firm feel softer on the firm side than the Firm (because it has a soft underlayer?) Same question in reverse with the Soft? Or is this all too chancy (since I don’t want either a soft or firm mattress) and I should get a Medium, in which case I’ll be in the market for a topper when she gets older?

Thank you for demystifying mattresses (somewhat, it’s still insane!) and helping so many of us!

• Delphine

ETA: I did read all the posts I could find on firmness for children, but I believe they were older and perhaps the soft/firm option was not around at the time.

Hi ladyfelina,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!

There is a link to some general guidelines for children in post #2 here. It also includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattress and children as well which have more information about many good options children which would be well worth considering. Any mattress that uses materials that are durable enough and are in a suitable firmness range (which these are) would be a good and logical choice for a child.

Their soft is a 28 ILD, the Medium is a 32 ILD and the Firm is a 36 ILD. The flippable Soft/Firm would feel “softer” with the Firm side up than the “all Firm” offering. When planning on keeping the mattress for a long time for a small growing child, the Soft/Firm combination is very popular. You’d use the Soft side initially, and as your child gains mass eventually transition over to the Firm side. If you don’t want a product using two different comforts, then the Medium can be a good choice that can last in comfort all through high school for your child. I don’t know that you would necessarily need to purchase a topper in the future. But you certainly could have that option.

Regardless, choosing something using high quality and durable materials like this and in the comfort range recommended for growing children (which these mattresses would be) would certainly be a choice worth considering. And as you’re aware, Arizona Premium is a site member here, which means I think highly of them, their advice and their products.

Phoenix

Thank you, all this additional reading has brought on additional questions!

I read about Spindle having options for children, and B mattresses, but all the posts seem to be from 2015 and there’s nothing on their site. Are these no longer around?

It seems I can make a diy mattress with 2 3" layers from diynaturalbedding.com and a cover from foamorder.com (off their clearance page) for $705 shipped, the APM mattress is $360 shipped. How much better of a mattress would I be getting for the cost difference? What’s my trade-off?

One of these days (soon hopefully!) my daughter will be sleeping on a twin instead of her crib mattress with her toes off the edge :confused:

Hi ladyfelina,

You could contact Neal at Spindle to see if they had any “left-over” B-stock items, but as you’re already aware these are not items that they currently offer.

You would just be making your own DIY mattress (out of natural GOLS Dunlop latex instead of blended Talalay from Arizona Premium), in which case there are many other Component-style latex offerings out there, including even on the Arizona Premium site, or even from other site members such as SleepEZ. It all depends upon your level of comfort in creating our own DIY mattress, and the extra level of cost you’re willing to spend for non-seamed layers. Both options would use good quality and durable materials.

Phoenix