Arctic dreams 10" cooling gel mattress

I used the chat option with dreamfoam bedding and expressed my interest in purchasing the least toxic mattress for my toddler. He mentioned the latex first. When I asked if there was any less expensive option he sent me a link to this gel mattress only sold on Amazon. I know a phone call would have been better but the chat was my only option and I wasn’t very satisfied with the service through chat and will try a phone call when I can… However that being said does anyone have any experiences or thoughts on this mattress and for a toddler? Thank you so much!

Hi JB,

Post #2 here and the topics it links to also includes much more information about mattresses and children and “safe” materials including a link to some general guidelines for children in post #2 here. It also includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattress and children as well.

You can read a little more about the Arctic Dreams mattress in this topic. Children will generally do best with a mattress in the medium to medium firm range so I would confirm with them that it would be in a suitable firmness range (I believe that it’s in a medium range but they would know better than I would).

It certainly uses very high quality and durable materials which are unusual to see in its budget range.

The foams are also CertiPUR certified which means that they would be “safe enough” for most people.

Overall … as long as you can confirm that it would be in a suitable firmness range … it would certainly make a great quality/value choice.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for the reply. I knew that it was typically recommended for toddlers to have a firmer bed but wasn’t sure if that had changed. I was unable to make a call to dreamfoam bedding today but should be able to tomorrow.

I could be wrong, but I felt like when I asked if there was a less expensive option, he just wrote me off to their Amazon product. I could be completely wrong but just how I felt. I did mention that we had purchased a tuft and needle that was way too firm. He mentioned they carried a similar mattress but softer. Could be this is the one he meant.

Once I get my toddler mattress, I will again be reviewing this forum and articles as the tuft and needle for us adults is not working… Seemed fine in the beginning but now tossing and turning and seemingly no pressure relief… Figured it out after trial period. Oops!

I followed this site for a while after my purchase and it seemed a lot of people were going with dreamfoam and you (Phoenix) approved so that is why I’m heading that direction with toddler and for us… I personally need a softer mattress. They just seem to have softer options but also green-ish qualities.

Hi JB,

Firmness recommendations for children aren’t likely to change.

It’s sometimes easy to misread “tone” in written communications so I would guess that you were wrong in your assessment … especially since he provided you with good guidance. I would think that this was the mattress he was referring to since it uses the same general type and quality/density of materials as the Tuft & Needle (3" of high performance polyfoam on top of a 1.8 lb base layer) although of course the firmness and “feel” would likely be different.

While I do recommend the members here “as a group” … I don’t make specific recommendations or suggestions or “approve” any specific mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial)or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Having said that … Dreamfoam is one of the members here which means that I do think very highly of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency and they certainly make great quality/value mattresses.

Phoenix

Oh hey sorry! I should clarify. What I meant was that due to circumstances, we only have so much to spend on a quality mattress. After looking at dreamfoam and how many options they had for a (softer) mattress and since it was also a part of this site; I figured it was a good option to consider.

Hi JB,

They certainly are well worth considering … especially if you are in a lower budget range where finding mattresses that use higher quality materials can be much more difficult.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix