Are adjustable platforms breathable?

Hello again,

Thanks with your previous help in selecting a mattress! I have found a great fit for me. Next issue is a foundation question. My mattress says it is compatible with adjustable foundations, which we have (an older leggett and platt adjustable, still works fine). Our old setup had a 6" foam base on top of the foundation, with a 6" split king latex mattress on top. New mattress is 13" thick, so on top of the 6" foam, it is too high. I’d like to place it directly on the adjustable base and everything I’ve read says that is fine but I live in Florida and want ensure we do not create an environment where mold would grow. I dug down to the adjustable foundation and it does appear to have a thin layer of foam on top of it (unlike some I see advertised which look more like a solid maybe plastic material).

To your knowledge, is it acceptable to place the mattress directly on the L&P base? Mattress is a flippable innerspring with 3" of foam on one side and 2" latex on the other. The mattress manufacturer says it is ok to do so. We also have a good AC system and keep the humidity in the house below 50% generally, although sometimes when the weather is cooler and the AC doesn’t run, it creeps up a little bit.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Hey KAycee22,

Welcome back to TMU and thanks for your question :slight_smile: .

[quote]Thanks with your previous help in selecting a mattress! I have found a great fit for me. Next issue is a foundation question. My mattress says it is compatible with adjustable foundations, which we have (an older leggett and platt adjustable, still works fine). Our old setup had a 6" foam base on top of the foundation, with a 6" split king latex mattress on top. New mattress is 13" thick, so on top of the 6" foam, it is too high. I’d like to place it directly on the adjustable base and everything I’ve read says that is fine but I live in Florida and want ensure we do not create an environment where mold would grow. I dug down to the adjustable foundation and it does appear to have a thin layer of foam on top of it (unlike some I see advertised which look more like a solid maybe plastic material).
[/quote]

I did see your earlier post update and congrats on your new mattress purchase! Which mattress did you decide on and how long have you had it? Generally speaking, most hybrid mattresses are designed to work on any foundation that provides firm, even support across the bottom surface of the mattress’s support base. Adjustable base foundations are quite hybrid mattress friendly and pair well with most models. You can also refer to your mattress’s warranty as it would describe what constraints (if any) would void the agreement.

It seems that you are doing all the right things for having a comfy, low humidity sleep environment, KAycee22. There should be no further concerns regarding your mattress and potential mold issues versus your other household furniture, pillows, etc. using polyurethane components. Your L&P Quantum coil unit will help keep things nice and cool as well and provides excellent natural air circulation throughout the pocket coil base. Hope this helps and let us know how your new mattress works out following an initial sleep adjustment period :wink: .

Thanks,
Sensei

You’ll be just fine. While you’re not getting airflow from directly underneath the mattress, you’ll have considerable airflow from other directions. Additionally, every time you adjust the base, the mattress slides a bit and also will have some gaps to where the adjustable bed base bends.

Mold issues are rare, but tend to be found with mattresses (often polyfoam/memory foam combos that don’t breathe too well) that are placed upon solid deck platform beds, quite often a tight fit with raised side boards, not allowing for much air circulation. Additionally, skin cells get between the side boards and the mattress and combine with a humid environment and perspiration that flows through the mattress in a warmer environment to create bacterial growth. Your situation doesn’t present these characteristics.

When you rotate your mattress, be sure to vacuum the top deck of your adjustable bed base to help keep it a clean and healthy sleep environment. And keep up with the temperature and humidity control.

Thank you both very much for your replies. I feel confident now putting the mattress directly on the adjustable platform!

Great!