Are latex beds hot or cool? (sleep on latex | firm | big person)

I see contradictory information about latex being cool or hot? Which is it.

I am specifically looking at Sleep on Latex 9" firm and i am a big person mostly back sometimes side sleeper if that matters.

Hi sleep_all_day,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Out of the most commonly used foams, latex tends to be the most breathable, followed by polyfoam, then memory foam. Talalay latex is generally more breathable than Dunlop latex. Dunlop latex is what is used in the Sleep On Latex mattress you’re considering (which contains good quality and durable materials - Dunlop latex and wool).

All foams are insulators to a degree, so a softer mattress, or one that you sink into more than atop, will tend to allow for less airflow around your body and heat exchange. So, a firmer mattress generally will tend to sleep “cooler” than a softer counterpart. Being a “big person”, you’ll also tend to sink in more deeply to a product than someone who is petite, so a mattress that sleeps “cooler” to a lighter individual can feel “warmer” to someone larger. And of course this also depends upon your own individual sensitivities, and where you are on the “oven to iceberg” range of sleeping temperature sensitivity.

Overall, it’s not really possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is much more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

In very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material.

The Sleep on Latex mattress you’re considering also has a wool layer, and that can also assist with humidity regulation and being a bit more “temperature neutral”. If you do decide to purchase from Sleep on Latex, they are a site member here, which mean that I think highly of them.

Because Sleep On Latex protects itself against the code harvesters you can request the code in a Private Message or email. Alternatively you can always place your order over the phone (312.487.2865) and mention that you are a member of The Mattress Underground to receive your discount.

Phoenix

Thanks! I will read up a bit more.

Hi sleep_all_day,

Sounds good!

Phoenix