Are latex toppers the same as latex layers?

Hi,

Thank you for all of the good information and advice you have contributed to this site - it has been very helpful!

Quick background: I have been sleeping on the floor for over a year (camping mat + blankets) and want to keep my bed simple so I am not interested in a traditional bed frame/box/mattress combination, just a simple bed with more cushioning than I currently have. I am 5’6", 140 lbs, and a side sleeper.

I am looking at 100% natural latex at various online retailers and am wondering if they manufacture the toppers differently than the mattress layers? The toppers come in various firmness levels so the plan would be to buy two 3" layers (one firm, one medium) and see how I feel before thinking about a third possible layer. The mattress layers do not seem different than the toppers (except for the covers) but I am wondering if anyone knows that for certain?

Also, I would prefer to sew my own mattress cover once I decided how many layers are best.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Hi PMC_MTT,

As far as the latex itself goes … they would be the same (assuming they were the same type of latex) whether they were inside a mattress or in a topper. Of course the cover material could be different.

It may also be more difficult to find an actual topper that is as firm as a typical bottom layer in a mattress. There is a list in post #4 here of some of the better sources I’m aware of for mattress components including latex layers.

Your “plan” of first trying two layers and then adding a third based on your experience (choosing the thickness and firmness level) can be a good one. I would also make sure that the cover you use is good quality ticking because a thin mattress cover can expose the latex to ozone or ultraviolet light that can break down the latex prematurely. If your original layering doesn’t have a cover I would also make sure that you don’t expose the latex to direct sunlight or any of the other things that can soften or damage it (there is a list of things that can break down latex here).

Phoenix

Thanks for the advice!

Wanted to update this thread with our experiences - we found a very nice mattress store in Ventura, Ca., Spencer’s, http://www.venturalatexmattress.com/aboutus, that has many different types of latex and natural-material beds. The saleswoman was extremely helpful.

We needed a simpler set-up and decided to buy online at Twin or TwinXL Mattress Made with Certified Organic Latex , World's First Mattress With Certified Organic Latex, Latex Mattresses-Talalay and Dunlop, All Products - Arizona Premium Mattress. The Twin XL Organic Latex mattress and foundation were extremely comfortable and we bought a second bed there, also. They honored the Mattress Underground discount; took 4 weeks from order to delivery; shipping was ~$75 to California. The mattress was a 6" firm core + 2" variable firmness topper - and it looks like they may have more options on the Website now.

Both companies are highly recommended.

As we only found these companies by using this forum - Thank You to everyone who helped!

Hi PMC_MTT,

Thanks for bringing your mattress search up to date!

You certainly made a great choice and your mattress has great value for an organic (not just 100% natural) latex mattress.

Most of all … congratulations on your new mattress(es) :slight_smile:

Phoenix