Are memory foam mattresses really not build to last?

Hi folks,

I was in the market for a new mattress for my new king size beds and narrowed it down between Tuft & Needle and Casper Sleep, but during my research i read a blog post explaining how memory foam mattresses aren’t built to last. But can they really be that bad.?

For both Tuft & Needle and Casper Sleep the reviews are excellent online, including on places like reddit and elsewhere. BUt i really don’t want a mattress that won’t last that long. Any help on this issue?

I didn’t know that either. Are they really not built to last? Hm. I might have to rethink my plans to buy one.

Hi jenniferq,

Tuft & Needle doesn’t contain any memory foam … it’s made from polyfoam.

Casper Sleep also doesn’t have enough memory foam to call it a memory foam mattress either because it only has 1.5" of memory foam and the memory foam is also underneath 1.5" of latex so it would feel different from sleeping on a mattress that uses memory foam.in the top layers.

You can read more about both Tuft & Needle and Casper along with many of the other what I call “simplified choice” mattresses in post #2 here in the simplified choice mattress topic and post #1 in the same topic would be well worth reading as well.

The durability of memory foam depends on the density of the memory foam. Lower density memory foam (under 3 lb density) won’t last very long at all but higher density memory foam (4 lbs or higher for average weight ranges or 5 lbs or higher for higher weight ranges) is a durable material…

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

I would also make sure that when you are buying a mattress online that you haven’t tested in person that you are comfortable with the options you have to exchange or return a mattress and any costs involved just in case your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for because the only way to know for certain whether any mattress will be a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own personal experience.

Phoenix

PS ADDED: I have removed the advertising link that you added to your post and have also banned your mattress forum user account for spamming along with the other user accounts that you have used to spam the same link.