Are there any less expensive routes to getting a chemical-free mattress? (NJ/PA/DE area or online)

I’m in desperate need for a new mattress ever since my old $400 pillow top gave out last month. I also have severe allergy/asthma problems and an autoimmune condition that cannot be controlled by medication. The only semi-relief I have gotten has been from putting a waterproof dust mite cover on my existing. My doctor and I agreed that (although it might be just a coincidence) I may want to try buying a mattress without the flame retardant chemicals.

I just don’t know where to look now. I see online retailers with latex mattresses that offer chemical free mattresses with a doctor’s note, but they all look cheap and squishy in videos people upload. The only other options I’ve seen are $2000+ for a full. I have found many regular mattresses that I like in popular retail stores around here, but the salespeople all tell me there is nothing they can do to get a chemical free one from their production line.

I live in Southern New Jersey. Not sure if there are any manufacturers in the area that are willing to make a mattress without. Or if there are stores/particular lines that don’t include many of the chemicals. I’m 5’8" 135 lbs. Need something firm but not too firm (i.e. not squishy, not a table top). I’d be open to buying online, but I finding options that seem firm and inexpensive <$1,300 has been virtually impossible.

Hi Kyleppil,

You have many options available and the first place I would start is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the most suitable choice.

Because of your added preferences for a chemical free mattress … post #2 here (and the many posts and sources of information it links to) would also be well worth reading. There are many manufacturers that make mattresses that either use fire barriers that have no chemicals (such as wool or a viscose/silica inherent fabric) or with a doctor’s prescription will make it with no fire barrier at all (and save you any taxes as well).

If you let me know your city or zip code in southern NJ I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix