Are these mattresses a good choice?

Hi,
I recently posted in one of the threads to share my shopping experience in Montreal and to ask for advice, and I realized the post was very long, so I am hoping I can make a shorter post asking for advice about the mattresses I am most interested in (I hope that’s ok). I took Matelas Dauphin out of the equation because they weren’t as transparent or knowledgeable about the materials they used and they are overall more expensive than the 2 other smaller manufacturers I visited.

I am 6’2", ~210lbs, back + side sleeper.
My wife is 5’6", ~135lbs, stomack + side sleeper.

Matelas Excellence mattresses:
All-Latex bed:
2" ILD 28 Talalay w/ 3.8 lbs density
6" ILD 44 Talalay w/ 5.1 lbs density
Zippered cover, so we can reverse a layer easily.
This mattress felt very nice as far as comfort and pressure relief are concerned.

All-foam bed:
2" polyfoam comfort layer, 3 lbs density.
4" polyfoam for support, firm, 2.7lbs density.
2" polyfoam comfort layer, 3 lbs density.
Reversible mattress.

Matelas Beau-Reve:

Latex Mattress:
Approximately 10-11" thick.
Reversible.
3" ILD 28/34 Talalay
2" polyfoam, 2.9lbs density.
3" ILD 28/34 Talalay.
The added coating will fill the rest. Cotton cover.
Mattress is reinforced on the side with polyfoam, I believe 2.9lbs as well, probably firm.

Foam Mattress:
Approximately 10-11" thick as well.
Reversible.
All 2.9lbs foam. Apparently it’s all one 8" piece.
THe coating has a 1" layer of polyfoam I believe called “Coquille d’oeuf”. That translates to “egg shell” in english, but I think the actual term to use here is “egg crate”?
Reinforced on the sides. I think it’s also 2.9lbs or maybe 3.4lbs firm. I don’t remember the exact detail here.

Beau-Reve says we should flip and rotate these mattresses every 4 months.

My questions:

1. Matelas beau-reve mattresses seem to have an unusual layering compared to what’s on the market. Is this normal due to them being reversible, or are there some glaring issues with them?
  2. The all-foam bed from Excellence is decently cheaper than the one from Beau-Reve. What could be the reason for that? (1120$ vs 1390$)
  3. Overall, do you see any glaring issues with any of the mattresses as far as durability or long-term comfort, or do they all make a good choice?

Thank you very much.

Hi Hashimoto,

[quote]My questions:

1. Matelas beau-reve mattresses seem to have an unusual layering compared to what’s on the market. Is this normal due to them being reversible, or are there some glaring issues with them[/quote]
    I don’t see any issues with these 2 mattresses. They are both made of high density foam and fall under the recommended guidelines of TMU.

It probably has to do with the quality of the cover and the amount / density of foam used in each mattress.

They seem to be all good choices, but it comes down to your PPP that will decide which is the best mattress for you.

Good luck in your search and please let us know which one you decided to buy.

Best,

Thank you very much for getting back to me.

2 more small questions:

1. How is the motion isolation on talalay latex mattresses compared to polyfoam?
    I found conflicting results, so I’m wondering if it could be an issue.
  2. Beau-reve said I’m almost at the recommended weight limit for the semi firm polyfoam mattress (210lbs) and that the firm could cause circulation issues for my wife (135lbs). In your experience, does this make sense?

Hi Hashimoto,

You’ll get better motion isolation from polyfoam than Talalay, but both of these types of mattresses are superior than a traditional coil spring mattress.

It’s difficult to get a mattress that will be perfect for a heavy and a light sleeper without of them giving up slightly on their personal preferences. The only way around this is to buy a split Queen or King mattress were each side of the mattress can be designed and built with the sleepers size, weight, shape and comfort preferences in mind. The other option for the Beau-Reve is to get a topper added on your wife’s side.

All the best

Wouldn’t it be weird to have a topper on one side only since the bed will be uneven in that case?

I don’t think beau rêve does a split queen usually, but I guess a split king is a possibility.

Thanks again and I’ll post updates when I get to visit these places again with my wife and make a decision.

Hi Hashimoto,

Not really. A 2" latex or memory foam topper placed over the one side of the mattress and then covered with a mattress protector and sheets will not be an issue for most. The topper will be compressed by the sleeper, and since it’s only on their side of the mattress it will not interfere with your firmer side. We have sold 100’s of toppers for this application, as it solves the issue of a lighter sleeper not getting enough pressure relief on a firm mattress.

Good luck with your search!

Went to visit beau-reve with my wife and she didn’t like any of the mattresses there :lol:
There are 2 things she didn’t like:

1. The edge support didn’t feel firm enough for her.
  2. They have 2 types of cover layers (1.5" and 0.75") for all their mattresses. All these covers have a 1.9lbs polyfoam layer. The material used with the 1.5" layer is kinda bumpy and, and considering she sleeps on her stomach most of the time, they bothered her. The 0.75" layer firms up the overall the feeling of the mattress, and while she felt better with that layer, she wasn’t crazy about the mattress getting firmer.

As a back and side sleeper, I didn’t feel any of this, so back to shopping again. She says she liked the top layers at Dauphin more, so we might be going back there.

A positive thing from our visit to Beau-Reve though: I showed a picture of my bed-frame to the owner, and he recommended I try the mattress on the floor and see how I feel sleeping on it there as I might not even need to change it yet. So I guess I will try that first. Looks like my thread will end up much longer than I thought. :lol: