Argh, my kingdom for a coil spring Olympic Queen

Like many I bought the (now obsolete) olympic queen bed and now it’s simply worn out. We’ve extended the life of it with various toppers but its time to replace it.

For various reasons we do not want to buy a foam-only mattress, however I can only find one sprung mattress online at http://www.beddingdirect.com/Olympic-Queen-Mattress-Only-Mostly-Natural-GRAND_p_2221.html which has a coil count of approximately 768 Coils. They have several variations in this line with varying coil counts, thickness, and prices.

They talk a good line:

[i]"Bench crafted with quality materials by hard working Americans in a small family owned factory the old fashioned way.

Our GRAND mattress is an excellent pillow-top/firm model. Designed around a 14.5-gauge coil lura-flex spring set that offers twice as many individually wrapped coils compared to our GOOD, BETTER, and BEST models. Beginning with molded spring protection on both sides of the coils, a cotton pad, and a layer of bonded cotton follow. The needle-punched cotton pad lies under a .5-inch layer of comfort foam, which is topped with a .375-inch layer of heavy density foam. Next the pillow-top is created from a layer of quilted cotton and a 1-inch layer of comfort foam topped with a .75-inch layer of heavy density super soft comfort foam. Finally the fine damask cover is quilted to create an excellent pillow-top/firm mattress.

This GRAND mattress incorporates our amazing plush pillow-top on one side and firmer mattress non pillow-top on the other side. Want a different feel? Just flip the mattress. An idea whose time has come, especially when you consider the poor value that a one sided “no flip” mattress offers.

Our GRAND model sold here offers low price with plush pillow-top but supportive feel and a firmer feel with tighter quilting on the other side.

The outer fabric is a long wearing high quality damask. The high quality padding and cushioning of the mattress are described in the cutaway section available in additional images for this product."[/i]

But I can’t find anything about their “Mostly Natural Bedding” brand anywhere.

It also doesn’t fill me with confidence that they have two URLs for their company, beddingdirect and finewebstores.com
https://www.finewebstores.com/Olympic-Queen-Replacement-Mattress-Abe-Feller-GRAND_p_24254.html

Does anybody have any advice, or knowledge of this company? I know I’ll be basically buying a mattress in the blind but I dont have much choice.

Thanks!

Wondering where in the world or what state you live in, DAH.

We had a wonderful innerspring Olympic Queen mattress custom made for us about 6 months ago in Michigan at a dedicated mattress company. We were able to go to the store and try out the mattresses and choose the one we wanted.

SO very happy with our purchase. Maybe other mattress companies would do the same for you if you live a distance from MI. Phoenix may have suggestions of businesses in your area to call.

I wrote about our experience getting an OIympic Queen mattress in my first post on Mattress Underground.

Hi DAH,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, the specifications you provided don’t provide any meaningful information about the mattress you’re considering. You need to find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase. If you’re able to find out that information from the manufacturer and post it back here, I’ll be happy to comment upon the componentry for you.

Their address is for a Sofa & Mattress Outlet in Athens, OH. Without any confirmation of specifications, I would share your concerns.

There are many independent manufacturers that are sold either factory direct or through better sleep shops that will build a mattress to any size you wish including Olympic Queen which is a much less common size as you probably know. If you provide your zip code, I can see if I am aware of manufacturers close to your home who might be able to produce an Olympic queen mattress for you.

Phoenix

I’m in western Washington State, in a little town near the Tacoma area. Zip code 98335

At this point I dont mind spending up to $1500 or so - as long as it’ll last.

I did phone a local store called “Mattress Ranch” who I’d heard will make custom mattresses - the salesman said yes indeed they would - but only in their standard sizes. He said because of fire testing laws they couldnt make something that hasnt been tested and it would cost too much to do testing for a one-off.

Hi DAH,

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent ( see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your specific criteria and the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply, the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Seattle/Tacoma area are listed in post #2 here .

There are lots of companies who build custom sizes in your area (quite often for boats), so you have a better-than-average selection. From the list I provided, for custom sizes I would start with looking at Soaring Heart (they are in a higher price range), Slumber Ease (partnership with Eastside Mattress Factory), Parkland Sleep Center, Holy Lamb Organics (has an innerspring option), and at a little longer distance perhaps Parklane Mattress. Some of the other retailers mentioned may be able to produce the Olympic Queen via a special request, but you’d have to phone or email them for that information.

Per the federal flammability guidelines 16 CRFR 1633 11 (b) (1), subordinate prototypes differing only by length & width may share the same ID#, so a special “burn test” wouldn’t have to be done for the Olympic Queen size of a current mattress they have that has already passed testing. But I would be sure you find out the complete information about the quality of materials in any mattress of theirs that you might consider, should they produce a mattress for you.

Phoenix

Thank you! Your help is REALLY appreciated. I would have ended up buying a new king bed and mattress set so you’ve saved me a small fortune.

Hi DAH,

I’m glad I could be of assistance.

Phoenix