Arizona Mattress Co Ultimate Hybrid Vs. MyGreenMattress Natural Escape

I am torn between these two mattresses, they are almost the same price, but the Ultimate Hybrid (on paper) seems to be of higher quality.

Does anyone have any experience with these companies/products? 1200 Leggett & Platt pocket coils vs 884 (unknown manufacturer) seems like it would be a big difference.

MyGreenMattresses have some clout, whereas mattresses.net is almost unheard of. They also have a pretty outdated website (which gives me a feeling that things aren’t very polished).

Hi phalse,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, your questions are a bit broad and the information you provided is a bit incomplete, so I’ll do my best to answer what I can.

What size mattress are you looking to purchase?

With the Arizona Premium Mattress Company, what configuration were you looking to choose (Dunlop or Talalay, plushness choice)?

I can comment more completely once I know the size you are choosing.

I’m not sure what you mean about “clout”, and your statement of Arizona Premium Mattress (mattresses.net) being almost unheard of is very inaccurate, as they’ve been offering component latex mattress systems online since 1997. Both My Green Mattress and Arizona Premium Mattress Company (mattresses.net) are members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They are extremely knowledgeable about latex and different configurations, and I would not hesitate to recommend them for your consideration.

While your personal opinion of the level of “polish” or a website may be an important part of your personal value equation, it certainly isn’t an accurate way to analyze a product, and your “feeling” that their website is outdated is also incorrect (it isn’t and is in fact quite robust). While I certainly understand if you visit a website and have pause because there are many broken links, incomplete or inaccurate information, or a lack of updating that could cause you to doubt the legitimacy of a company, that is certainly not the case with either of these businesses – one simply has a more traditional design versus the other. Both companies are reliable and reputable ongoing concerns…

I’ll do my best to provide more detailed comments on your other questions once you’re able to provide some more complete information.

Phoenix

Thank you for the response.

I am looking at the King.

King Medium Natural Dunlop

What I mean is, MyGreenMattress has been easier to find information about/research. Arizona Mattress Company has very few reviews/information available on the web OTHER than on their own website.

As far as their website goes, I find that their particular ‘outdated’ look detracts from product/brand. I found it to be conflicting with their high quality products. I understand the look/feel of the website may have little to no impact on the quality of their mattresses, however, you can’t deny that appearance is a big part of marketing.

I really like Arizona Mattress Company, in fact they have been at the top of my list (thus this post). My questions are more general simply because I’d like to know any information about the differences between the two to help me decide. It looks like MyGreenMattress has a better warranty, longer trial period, and slightly lower shipping cost to return.

Most importantly, I’d love to know how they feel. Is there any big difference between the two models I have it narrowed down to? Is there a noticeable difference between the feel of 1200 vs 848 coils? I found out later, by talking to Tim from MyGreenMattress, that they also use Leggett & Platt.
Thanks again

Hi phalse,

Thank you for those clarifications – I appreciate the updates.

As for the spring units, Arizona Premium Mattress (mattresses.net) uses the Leggett and Platt Quantum Edge (QE), one of the better versions called the Combi-Zone, with the extra lumbar zoning. I’m not sure of the exact spring unit that My Green Mattress uses, but as you mentioned it is from Leggett and Platt as well, and is either a version of their Quantum Edge or perhaps their Caliber Edge. They’re using a thicker steel and the spring count overall would be a bit lower than the unit used by Arizona Premium, but I don’t know the exact number of springs in the king size. Leggett and Platt is constantly expanding their line of steel perimeter edge pocketed innerspring mattresses in their ComfortCore line. Either spring unit would be a supportive item and in general the spring unit is not the weak link of a mattress. I have been on the QE unit that Arizona Premium uses and I can tell you it is a very supportive and solid unit.

As for the foam comparisons, Arizona Premium Ultimate Hybrid uses 3" of 25-29 ILD 100% NR Dunlop in the medium version you mentioned. The My Green Mattress Natural Escape use 3" of 18-22 ILD 100% NR Dunlop. Arpico supplies the Dunlop latex for My Green Mattress, while Latexco and Latex Green supplies Dunlop for Arizona Premium. The Ultimate Hybrid is customizable with a zippered encasement. The Natural Escape is an encased mattress. You have a 60 day layer exchange or refund policy with Arizona Premium (shipping fees apply). My Green Mattress offers a 100 night trail for a return or exchange, less a $99.00 shipping fee.

Both items use high quality componentry and would certainly be good quality choices.

Overall, with the slightly softer latex used by the Natural Escape, with most of your comfort being influenced by the uppermost layers within a mattress, it would be reasonable to expect that the Natural Escape would feel slightly softer than the Ultimate Hybrid in the configuration you’ve mentioned. But, it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

At least you know with either item there is a generous exchange/refund policy in case the item didn’t work out as well as you had planned. I would recommend a detailed phone conversation with each company and describe what you’re looking to find in your new mattress and then base your decision upon the feedback you receive from either company. You’re choosing between “good” and “good” in this situation as far as the quality of materials and reputation of the company goes. I would plug everything into all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you and then make up your mind.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful, I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words, reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

A big part of the underlying problem with these types of review (what I call revenue) sites is that consumers as a whole put too much trust in mattress reviews in the first place (either positive or negative) in the mistaken belief that they are a good way to assess whether a mattress would be a suitable or a durable choice for them so they end up choosing a mattress for all the wrong reasons based on other people’s experiences and reviews or on the “deal” they think they are getting instead of legitimate “fact based” research that would be relevant to their own unique needs, preferences, and criteria. This is more of an issue with consumers in general that can really only be solved with education about how to buy a mattress but because reviews have become so important in today’s online market they have gained a false aura of legitimacy and while they may not be the cause of the problem, many mattress companies are well aware of their ability to influence people and change buying habits and certainly take full advantage of this mind set, and they target this market that pays significant attention to them so they are really just taking advantage of a “reality” that they know will sell mattresses for them.

You’re certainly correct. Unfortunately, some of the “slickest” mattress web sites out there promote some of the lower quality items in the industry, so I’m glad you’re taking the time to do the research and become educated about these products. Good job! :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you for the helpful information!

It sounds like I won’t be disappointed with either choice.

I appreciated all of the info, it will help make my decision in the following days. I’ll keep you posted as to how I like the mattress once I’ve had a while to adjust to it.

Hi phalse,

I really am interested in which mattress you eventually choose and why, and I certainly will look forward to your updates or future questions!

Phoenix

Any updates as to who you went with?

Hi davo32683,

I’m curious as well! :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I ended up ordering a MyGreenMattress Natural Escape and just had my first night on it last night. I’ll say it’s a lot more firm than my wife and I expected it to be at this point. Time will tell!

Hi davo32683,

Congratulations on your new mattress! :cheer: You certainly made a good quality/value choice.

I’ll look forward to your comments after you’ve had it for a while longer and hopefully most of the “false firmness” will have worn off by that time.

Phoenix