Arizona Premium Mattress Latex Topper Arrived

My husband and I have a new mattress – 6" firm Talalay latex custom Cal King from Escondido Mattress Factory – very pleased with it, but after 6 months decided to try a topper for fine tuning. Started with the 3" NovaForm Memory Gel from Costco and although it seems to have taken care of the aches and pains (certainly the most important part), I’m not crazy about the way it feels and it was quite warm which is not the worst thing as the weather is finally cooling off. The dogs LOVE how warm it is to sleep on. I grabbed this topper on the spur of the moment even though I had researched Talalay, the Costco one I did not have to wait for – did have to wait for the smell to go away and that took quite a few days of airing it out beginning with outside in the back of the flatbed! Also, it is returnable so decided to start there. It took about a week to really get used to and in that time I decided to order a 2" Talalay topper from Arizona Premium Mattress. I ordered on line, but had a few email questions and was pleased that Ken responded to each one. The topper arrived, the packaging was great, the topper was already in the beautiful cover and expanded quickly as I was unwrapping it. VERY PLEASED with Arizona Premium Mattress and would deal with them again. Okay – now for the problem. I know I should give it at least a week and actually will give it longer as this topper is not returnable. I like the feel of it although it isn’t quite as plush as I thought it might be – it’s 21 ILD. It’s also VERY HOT – I’m so surprised. Our mattress is the coolest ever. The cover on this is the cotton one with Bamboo. I have only slept on it one night and maybe it was just me and just last night. Haven’t even been that hot on the Memory Gel. Any suggestions that might cool this topper down? Take it out of the cover? Any reason to stack the toppers? I know, I know, it’s only been one night. Patience, eh?

Hello Sandigee,

It could very well be that because your mattress is now softer there is simply more contact with your body which is making the bed ‘cozier’, and making you sleep a little warmer. Sometimes when people do new bedding or mattresses they can experience temporary increases in temperature before your body adjusts. But I guess you will find out for sure soon enough. The Memory topper that you have, did you also try that on your latex mattress?

The fabric that is on this new talalay topper, I know you mentioned it is a cotton/bamboo blend which should be fairly breathable, is it quilted to anything or is it a thinner non quilted fabric?

Regards,
Daniel

Thanks Daniel – yeah, I know, one night is just not enough and time will tell, especially since this is not returnable. The cover is very thin and stretchy also 100% cotton I believe so I would find it hard to believe that would cause a problem as you say. And yes, the Memory Foam was on top of this mattress.

I have some other potential things to suggest to look at, but it really is prudent like you said to just give it a little bit more time. Sometimes the best thing to do is to do nothing at all :slight_smile:

Hi Sandigee,

I would echo Daniel’s comments and the most likely cause other than simply being an anomaly from a single nights experience is the softer latex. You can read more about some of the other factors that affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here because it could also be a combination of factors (such as the softer latex in combination with a less breathable mattress protector or even your sheets and bedding).

Phoenix

Just thought I would report in that the topper is just fine – discovered that the heat issue was my own heat issue that continues to come and go. It is very comfortable. My back is feeling much better. Costco took back the NovaForm with no questions. All’s well that ends well. :slight_smile:

Hi Sandigee,

Thanks for the update … that’s good news :slight_smile:

Phoenix