Ashley 12 series memory foam mattress and Bedgear cooling pillow

Very simply, I just tried and really liked the above mentioned mattress and pillow. Any thoughts on the quality of the Ashley 12 series memory foam mattress? And, is the Bedgear cooling pillow the best bang for the buck in this expensive price range or would the Tempurpedic cloud breeze dual cooling pillow be better quality?
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: tempurpedic.com/All-Position-Pillows/Tempur-Pedic-TEMPUR-Cloud-Breeze-Dual-Cooling.asp

Hi Tyson,

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Unfortunately the Ashley website doesn’t include any meaningful information about the quality/density of the foam layers inside the Lumina Affinity Eurotop so it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about it but if you can find out all the information in the “Mattress specifications you need to know” article and post them on the forum I’d be happy to let you know if there are any lower quality materials or weak links that would be a cause for concern in terms of the durability and useful life of the mattress.

A good retailer that is transparent about the materials and components in their mattress should be able to easily provide you with all the information you need to make an informed choice but if for any reason the retailer you are dealing with is either unwilling or unable to provide you with all the information you need to to confirm there are no lower quality/density materials in any mattress you are considering then I would avoid the mattress completely because the risk of premature foam softening and breakdown that leads to the loss of comfort and/or support and the need to replace the mattress much too quickly would be too high.

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: tempurpedic.com/All-Position-Pillows...eze-Dual-Cooling.asp

A suitable pillow is an essential part of good alignment for the head and neck and upper body because the gap between the head and the mattress and the curve of the cervical spine needs to be supported just like all other parts of the spine. Like mattresses … there are certain “needs” that depend on body type and sleeping positions but with pillows, personal preferences play a more important role because the face is much more sensitive to textures, temperature, smells, and other more subjective “feel” based properties of a pillow. There is more about choosing pillows in the pillow thread here and the other topics and sources of information that it links to that may be helpful as well.

Better sleep shops will often have samples of their pillows available for you to try (they should be in a pillowcase and not a plastic wrapping) so you can try different types of pillows and pillow materials in person and use your own personal experience rather than just “theory” to help you decide on the types of pillows and pillow filling materials that you tend to prefer.

Your specific needs and preferences are unique to you and can also depend on the mattress you are sleeping on as well (you may need different pillow on different mattresses that have different firmness levels) and since you are the only one that can feel what you feel … your own personal experience is the only way to decide whether any specific pillow is a good “match” for you on the specific mattress you are using it on and you are really the only one that can decide which pillow would be the “best bang for the buck” for you (regardless of whether someone else would make the same choice).

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. I was really just wondering if you, through your extensive experience with this site, had any perspective on the specific quality of the Ashley 12 series. It’s NOT the Lumina Affinity Eurotop. It’s a flat topped, 12 inch soft memory foam mattress. Also, just an overall perspective on Bedgear pillows was desired. All of the other information you’ve provided is appreciated and will be heeded.

Hi Tyson,

Outside of PPP … a mattress is only as good as the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label so it really isn’t possible to make any meaningful comments without knowing the specifics of the materials and components inside any specific mattress you are considering.

In very general terms … I would be cautious with Ashley mattresses and would tend to avoid them because many of them use lower quality and less durable materials than I would be comfortable considering but again it depends on the specifics of the materials and components in the actual mattress you are considering.

I don’t know the type of pillow filling materials you tend to prefer and I also don’t have any personal experience with Bedgear pillows and I don’t know the specifics of the materials inside them so I really can’t make any meaningful comments about them either.

Phoenix