Aspen mattress from Denver Mattress

So far it’s been about a week on our Aspen mattress. I’m still adjusting to the firmness of it but am sleeping better than I was. We went from a King to a Queen size and that has been a bigger adjustment than what I thought it would be. Still undecided on whether it gives us enough room even though we are not large people at all. I am sore but was before we ever bought this mattress. I use to have a tremendous amount of hip pain on left side when I laid on that side. I no longer do. I now have soreness in my shoulders but went to chiropractor yesterday knowing I was out in between my shoulder blades and that had nothing to do with mattress. My question is, I’m thinking I do miss the “softness” I was use to and am thinking about a mattress topper. Read your review on the Seven Comforts and was wondering if that might be a good topper for me? Also wanting to buy a topper for my 6 year old skinny son who has a hard mattress and was wondering if this would be ok for him as well? I’ve also looked at this one for him. Amazon.com. Thoughts? Thanks!!

Hi dunbroke,

The first thing I would probably suggest is to give things some time before deciding on a topper. With some of the “non mattress” issues that you are facing and the normal adjustment time of a new sleeping surface … it would be very easy to make an adjustment now that didn’t turn out to be as suitable in a few weeks.

The second thing that may help with the shoulder issues is a pillow. While you don’t mention height/weight/sleeping positions … a new mattress can affect whether the old pillow you were using is still appropriate and keeps you in alignment. A pillow is a significant part of the overall sleeping system and can particularly affect upper body issues.

Finally … I would tend to avoid memory foam as a choice for any younger child. The product you mention is from China and manufactured by Zinus (the green tea is the giveaway about who makes it) and while they are CertiPur certified … I personally don’t think that memory foam is a good idea at all for children until they have finished growing both because of spinal alignment and development issues and because they don’t yet have as developed an immune system as an adult. Slow response materials are just not a great idea for children IMO.

The seven comforts topper is a great product and I would think of it more as fine tuning that can provide localized pressure point relief as opposed to a “non shredded” foam topper that would provide more of a softer surface across the whole mattress and distribute pressure over a larger area of the body. Which would be “best” would depend on the specific “symptoms” you were trying to “correct”, the “degree” of pressure relief you were trying to achieve, and the overall “feel” that you liked the best.

Edit: see post #52 here first if you are considering ordering this topper.

I think it would make a good choice for your son but for you I would first wait a bit and then try to get a more accurate sense of whether you were looking more for an overall softer “feel” (which may indicate a low ILD foam topper which would be similar to what many people are used to having in the top of their mattress) and a thicker effective comfort layer or for more localized relief with a slightly firmer “feel” but which would relieve the “symptoms” that were causing issues once the initial adjustment period was done. Bear in mind as well that all of this is very subjective and based on different people’s perceptions, on the mattress that it was being added to, and on the wide variety of different body types, sleeping styles, and sensitivities of different people.

Phoenix

We did buy new pillows at the same time we bought our mattress. We ended up with the iso cool side sleeper. A firmer pillow than we are use to but I do believe better for us. I think I’m looking for that softer feel but will give it some more time. Still struggling with the smaller size though:(

Hi dunbroke,

I think the extra loft and firmness of the side sleeper pillow was probably a good idea although it may also take a little getting used to.

As you mentioned there is also a significant width difference between the King size and the Queen and the 16" width difference is especially significant for those who are used to the extra room. Just to put things in perspective … half of a queen size is only a couple of inches wider than a standard crib size while a King size gives each person the room of a twin size mattress to themselves.

Overall … if you are looking to adjust the “feel” of the mattress or perhaps minor “symptoms” once the adjustment period is over then this would indicate a fairly minor adjustment and if you have specific more noticeable symptoms (rather than just feel) that are related to the mattress (such as pressure symptoms) and not connected to pre-existing or residual issues from before … then the “degree” of adjustment would probably be a little more. Typically men have wider but still lighter shoulders relative to their pelvis/hips than women and may need a little thicker/softer comfort layer for side sleeping to “allow” the lighter and wider shoulders to sink in a little more.

Phoenix

So it’s a big VETO on the Iso side sleeper pillows. Both me and my husband have woke up with stiff necks. It seems to be too high or thick? Any recommendation on pillows? Both side sleepers.

The Aspen needs some tweaking in my opinion. I think the support is there but wondering if I need a topper to go on for the added softness. I don’t ever remember not waking up with a sore back/neck so wonder if it’s just me or partly the bed but I do want a little softer feel. Any recommendations? I’m looking at the Seven Comforts latex topper right now.

Hi dunbroke,

Pillows are a very personal item and while there are a few “needs” involved because they are an important part of keeping your upper spine, neck, and head in alignment … beyond this they are very much a matter of personal preference. The pillow thread here has some good information and links to some good resources which can provide some guidelines and options for pillows but beyond the basic “needs” they are mostly a matter of personal preference.

Side sleepers need thicker pillows than back sleepers or stomach sleepers (which generally do best with thin pillows or none at all) … but the thickness a side sleeper needs also depends on how far you sink into the mattress (which affects the space between the head and the mattress) and on body type and size as well so yours are probably thicker than you need … and possibly firmer than you prefer.

A sore neck/back can be a symptom of misalignment but the “fix” depends on where the soreness is. If it’s just in the upper body … then changing the pillow can often resolve the problem. A second issue could be if your shoulders aren’t sinking in quite far enough but the aspen is fairly soft so this would be less likely (depending on your height/weight and body type). A more specific set of “symptoms” and their location(s) may help point to the underlying cause of the soreness. Some extra softness may help if the issue is that your shoulders aren’t sinking in far enough but it sounds like it could be more of a pillow issue.

Phoenix

5’6" female. 150# muscular build. My lower back is always an issue as well as my neck. Sometimes shoulder soreness but nit very often. Pretty sure I have fibromyalgia but have never seen a dr about it. I know my mom has it so it does run in the family. I will ck the pillow thread. Thank u:)

Hi dunbroke,

I see from your other post that you have headed to Amazon for the Seven Comforts topper.

FWIW … Coventry (one of our members who writes some great reviews) also purchased their pillow which can be adjusted for different fills and to “match” different sleeping positions. While latex may not be the “feel” you are looking for in a pillow … you can see her comments and review about their pillow here.

It may also be a good idea to wait until you have the topper before deciding on a pillow because the topper may change the “gap” between the sleeping surface and your head and neck which means it may affect your choice of the “best” pillow for you (although with an adjustable pillow this is much less of an issue).

Phoenix

I’ll just do a quick chime in here to say a few things.

1. Phoenix is correct, wait till after you get your topper to adjust your pillow needs. It stinks, I know, but the topper did change my needs in pillows. Hence, my purchasing the nifty pillow I reviewed here. :slight_smile:

2. It took me about 5 tries to get the right amount of fill in each section of that pillow. I used ziplock 1 gallon bags to put the extra latex ‘micro-rods’… I used 5 of them. I literally made another latex pillow from the leftovers. YMMV of course.

3. If I could do it again, I’d get the queen or king size version of this pillow instead of the standard size. I wish there was more room in each of the top 3 sections.

4. The BEST part of this pillow is the sectioned, customizable neck roll. I’ve TMJ and a disk in my neck that make purchasing pillows problematic. A solid neck roll (the kind my physical therapist recommends) hurts my jaw and skull if I don’t lay on it in the ‘perfect’ position. Yeah, that doesn’t happen while I sleep. I seriously just love this neck roll and yes, that is totally subjective, but I had to say it. :slight_smile:

5. I really really really want to make this pillow with a softer, less crinkly fabric! weeps big tears The fabric annoys me on this pillow. Everyone I know seemed to get pregnant within the last 3 months, so I still haven’t gotten to knit my pillowcase for this pillow. This is the worst thing (in my opinion) about this pillow and would purchase it in a heartbeat in another type of fabric.

I’m sick today (flu) so I blame any incoherence on the drugs and lack of sleep.

I should update my review with these items in it… maybe after a nap.

Thank u both for your help!! You don’t know how much I appreciate it:)

New member chiming in on this topic because I recently bought an Aspen set after considering several other options. I grew up with a Dunlop mattress and have longed for that same feel for years. My husband and I have been suffering with an expensive, sagging innerspring/memory foam pillow top disaster for years. We finally decided enough was enough. I spent several weeks reading reviews and considering the options for ordering online vs buying from a store. I was very close to ordering a customized mattress with some Dunlop and some Talalay layers, but I was concerned about the cost of return shipping if it wasn’t “right.” We visited a few local stores and liked one of the Jamison models and we both really liked the feel of the Denver Mattress Aspen in the store (although it’s hard to tell on a twin bed what it might be like on a king with two people). The Jamison was a “no return” option and although it was marked down considerably ($1200 total for mattress set delivered), I did not want to get trapped the way we did with the previous mattress. Denver Mattress claims to offer a 30 day return policy. After a final visit to the store to try the Aspen again, I bought it. The saleman was helpful during both visits offering information about all the choices without being pushy or trying to sell other items. The delivery men were great.

So, we’ve had the Aspen for almost two weeks and I love it. It does have a slightly more “lively” feel than I remember in the old Dunlop latex mattress. The mattress cover has a full zipper so it can be removed completely (and the cover is soft and giving so it doesn’t detract from the feel of the foam). Inside the cover, the layers are encased in what seems to be a flannel or brushed cotton cover that I don’t think can be removed. For the first week, I used a really thin mattress pad and switched to a thicker one this week to feel the difference. I think I prefer the feel of the thin pad. I did have to swap out my pillow. The pillow I had been using on the memory foam bed was too hard and too high on the Aspen. I switched to a thinner, softer pillow and solved the problem,

I am a side to stomach sleeper and would frequently wake up with an aching back on the memory foam if I slept on my stomach (because my mid-section would sink down into the foam). No such problem with the Aspen. WIth the memory foam, at times I felt like it was hard work to roll over or move around because of sinking into it so much. WIth the Aspen, although it has typical latex give, I don’t sink in. I have old injuries to my right shoulder and right hip that can really be aggravated by pressure points on some mattresses. So far, the Aspen has the right amount of give to eliminate this problem. I can sleep comfortably on my right side. It does transmit a little more movement than the memory foam did, but nothing like a regular innerspring. My husband even commented a couple of days ago how much he likes the new mattress. I am completely satisfied so far. We’ll have to wait and see how well it holds up over time. FWIW, I am 5’4", 120lbs and he is 6’, 190lbs.

Our cats definitely give it “4 paws up” ratings. Our regular bed cats seem to like it and two others who never got in the old bed have been seen napping on the new one :slight_smile:

[quote=“lperry63”]
Our cats definitely give it “4 paws up” ratings.
[/quote]So that’s what my male cat is doing when he lays on his back on our latex mattress with his four legs in the air? He’s giving his review!

Hi lperryt3,

Thanks for the great review on the Aspen :slight_smile:

Talalay latex (which they use) has a “livelier” feel than Dunlop so this and the different layering of the mattress you remember probably accounts for the difference.

The cover inside the mattress is probably the fire barrier sock.

Your experience also is a good example on the affect that different types of mattress protectors can have on a mattress and also how a new mattress purchase often results in the need for a new pillow to keep your head, neck, and upper back in good alignment as well because of a different sleeping profile on a new mattress.

I’m glad to see that both you and danielrhall have had your mattresses officially “approved”. After all … by their own reckoning at least … the cats are most important members of the household :slight_smile:

Thanks again for taking the time to share your feedback.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix!

I’m reviving this thread because I couldn’t find any recent threads about the Aspen 4 from Denver Mattress. My partner and I visited Denver Mattress yesterday and really liked the Aspen 4. We both loved the “lively” feel of the Talalay latex and the overall feel of the mattress. We also tried the Telluride (which seems to be the most similar in the DM line), and it felt too soft to both of us (I’m guessing because of the foam used in the top?). DM is really the only factory-direct spot in our area that isn’t exorbitantly priced (we live in Santa Fe, NM), which is why we’re focusing there.

From the research I’ve done here, it seems like the materials used in the mattress are high quality, so there’s not an obvious “weak link”, but I am a little bit concerned about durability with our weight combination: my partner is 6’3"/around 250 pounds, and I’m 5’7"/around 150 pounds. We’re both combination sleepers (I’m evenly back/side, my partner is mainly side). Our current mattress is a 7-year-old Beautyrest whose pillowtop has been completely sagged out on both sides for the past several years, so it’s definitely time for a new one, and we really want to avoid the sagging issues in the future if we can. My partner hates feeling like it’s hard to change positions or move around on the bed (and I hate the motion transfer that comes from his effort!), but I think that’s mostly because of the sagging we’re dealing with right now. He argues that old-school, rock-hard spring mattresses are great because they’re so easy to move around on, but we’ve agreed to disagree on that front. :slight_smile:

The Aspen 4 specs are:

Quilt Layers:
Jacquard Zippered Cover with ICE Yarn
Stretch FR Sock

Comfort Layer:
1" 2 lb. High Density Luxury Plush EF Foam
3" GOLS Certified Organic Latex 14 ILD

Support System:
6" Individually Wrapped Coils
660 Perimeter Coil
2.5" 1.5 lb. High Density Foam Base Layer

In the comfort layer, it seems like the upper inch of foam is okay, since it’s only an inch and it’s 2# density, but I’m a little worried about the lower ILD latex (from what I’ve read, 14 ILD is on the low end of the scale for Talalay–does this affect its durability over time, or will it feel softer over time?). I’m also a little worried about the 2.5"1.5# density foam base layer softening or sagging over time with our combined weight. I know most sagging/softening issues happen in the comfort layer, but could my partner’s weight/our combined weight potentially affect that base layer as well?

The Aspen is well within our budget, and while we’re more than happy to spend less than we expected (who wouldn’t be??), we don’t mind spending a little bit more for a better mattress that’s going to hold up over time for us. We don’t want to spend $5,000 on a new mattress, but we also don’t want to enter “you get what you pay for” territory. Any thoughts on the Aspen 4’s durability for us?

Hi modean,

Welcome to the mattress forum:).

Thank you for your post and well done with your write up and analysis, I can definitely tell that you have been reading some of the info we provide on TMU. It is much appreciated, and much easier to help and give some information.

Additionally, on a positive note, I am always glad to see Denver Mattress is very transparent with their mattress specifications on their website. Just as you noted in your post, they list all the layers and give density information.

[quote]In the comfort layer, it seems like the upper inch of foam is okay, since it’s only an inch and it’s 2# density, but I’m a little worried about the lower ILD latex (from what I’ve read, 14 ILD is on the low end of the scale for Talalay–does this affect its durability over time, or will it feel softer over time?). I’m also a little worried about the 2.5"1.5# density foam base layer softening or sagging over time with our combined weight. I know most sagging/softening issues happen in the comfort layer, but could my partner’s weight/our combined weight potentially affect that base layer as well?
[/quote]

I can relate to your concerns about the “durability”, your husbands BMI 31.2, which is above the “30 BMI” we use in our mattress durability guidelines.

A lot of the motion transfer issue is probably related to the 7 yr old Simmons model, and its loss of pressure relieving layers. And it’s so nice you can agree to disagree with a :)…(psst…you are right, don’t tell him I said that).

Regarding the latex. I am not sure who said it’s Talalay latex, but there are no Talalay GOLS certified latex, as the two companies, Talalay Global and Radium Foam, do not have GOLS certified latex, as it’s much more difficult to get for companies not affiliated with specific latex plantations. So the “14 ILD” is true I am sure, but how it is measured is a source of debate within the latex world, so it is probably a 65 kg/m3 (which is really how latex is “sold” to manufacturer - the ILD is a range) which is usually the softer version of the densities most companies stock. The 65kg equates to 4.05 lb/cu. ft. density, which is still a very durable product for you and your husband to sleep on.

Technically speaking all latex and/or foam will soften some over time, but it will be very gradual and your body will adapt with it, it’s not a dramatic softening. The bottom 2.5" 1.5# is a little concerning, but the 660 coil product is really the support core for this mattress, and as you correctly pointed out, the bottom is less of a concern for overall support, it is really a stabilizing layer, which many companies use below the coil units. Denver pushes it up to 2.5" to most likely build enough height and hit optimal price. The 1" 2# top is also ok, as you pointed out, this layer will break down a bit over time, but being supported by the 3" 100% natural latex, and the 660 coil unit, the durability of this mattress will still be solid.

The Telluride plush is most likely made to feel softer by the 1.5-inch layer on top, but also the coil unit is a 15.5 gauge which is on the softer side of the range for coil units.

The Aspen is better coil unit for your husbands BMI, which by the description is most likely the Leggett and Platt Caliber edge product, in the 13-14 gauge (firmer) than the Telluride.

I am sure you will try it again, but you have a lot of knowledge, and Denver Mattress is a highly respected retailer/factory direct company, and your knowledge and testing always helps one to trust their instincts.

Thank you again, and let us know if you have any more questions.

Phoenix

Thank you so much, Phoenix! This is really helpful (as is this entire site, so thank you for that too!).

The sales rep at Denver Mattress told us the latex was Talalay when I asked—I don’t really have a preference about the type about latex (though the GOLS certification is nice!), but I was curious since I’d been reading so much about the differences on this site and wanted to know what we were “feeling” when we laid down on the mattress. He seemed like a straightforward guy who wasn’t putting on a hard sell, so I think I can probably chalk it up to a knowledge gap on his part. (He also mentioned that there’s no difference in body heat retention between latex and memory foam, which I don’t think is really true based on what I’ve read here.)

In any case, very good to know about GOLS-certified latex!

We will probably head back and try the mattress again today—I feel a lot more confident after vetting the durability questions with you. If we do purchase, I’ll update here about our experience with it! I always appreciate seeing people report back after they’ve been sleeping on a mattress for a while.

Thank you again!

Hi modean,

You are very welcome and thank you for your kind words about TMU. :slight_smile:

I really do believe it is an innocent mistake on sales rep regarding the latex. Denver Mattress has sold many mattresses over the years that used Talalay toppers, these particular ones do not, but they always have new mattresses with new specs, and it is not surprising at all to have some mix-up, especially with your impression he was a stand-up guy.

Not sure why he says that … “there’s no difference in body heat retention between latex and memory foam”. Latex, in general, is the most breathable and the most “temperature neutral” of all the different types of foam materials but of course, the firmness of a mattress and how much you sink into it can also affect sleeping temperature as well. Temperature regulation is a well-covered topic on our Mattress Forum and many people dealing with this issue have given basic experiential accounts of the clear “Heat retention” difference between the two, suggestions and general facts about materials.

Heat retention refers to the amount of heat an object or material can store over time. Sooo…does that mean one would measure the “body (or skin)” retention of heat, or are we measuring the foam materials retention of heat…well you see what I mean. There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range. In very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material.

Let us know how it turns out, great that you are trying it again, hope everything goes smooth and we would love to hear any updates.
Phoenix