Assistance requested in Houston, TX

In a perfect world, I would have a zippered cover and 5-6 different latex layers so I could test them for a week.
In less than a perfect world, I would at least have a store where I would be able to do so.

I cannot experiment much here now when I am so hyper. Sigh.

Hi nimailni,

With some good testing and/or the help of someone who is knowledgeable you should be able to get close to 80-90% of “perfection” which is much better than most people end up with. Going for 100% perfection is usually a matter of the law of diminishing returns because our needs and preferences can change from time to time and even day to day anyway and 100% may not be achievable on an every day basis.

At least one of the outlets you are looking at …Houston Mattress Factory … will let you “test” your mattress until you are satisfied (they will change out a layer if you aren’t happy with how it performs) so even if you make a mistake it can be corrected.

Angel beds also has a good exchange and refund policy and you have the advantage of being able to test what most people would buy online.

Texas Mattress Makers doesn’t allow for any changes or refunds so you would need to test carefully here with your long term needs and preferences in mind (which I would do in any outlet regardless of their policies).

Ikea’s return policy states that you can only exchange a mattress for another one which may not be practical if they don’t have another one that is suitable. It may also require a topper to be as comfortable as some of your other choices.

And finally of course … you said you were a risk taker and if you feel good about the Dump mattress and it’s source … then this would also be good value and may be worth the risk even though I would assume there is no recourse if you get it wrong. At least it seems to be one of Restonic’s better mattresses.

You have tested each of these so you would have a good idea of which was most suitable for you in terms of pressure relief and alignment and you also have good knowledge of your options if things don’t work out exactly the way you hope so from this point on you don’t really need to experiment any more and it would just be a matter of weighing the pros and cons of each and deciding which was most suitable for your needs and preferences and closest to your overall “value equation”

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix,

I found the stores your provided having wide variety of mattresses to choose from. One of my friend suggested me to go for Posturepedic signature by Sealy. he also recommend me to browse houston discount mattresses as this retailer providing pillow top for just 349$. I have selceted a Sealy. Do have any opinion about my choice ?

Hi Michael,

I’ve removed your links to your store and replaced them with just your store name and the brand name of the mattress you linked to.

But just to answer you post more generically …

I personally don’t recommend major brands because of their low quality or “unknown” foams as you can see from the guidelines here.

You can also see from post #2 here … that I am also not comfortable buying from liquidation outlets because the risk that you are buying a used mattress is just too high.

Phoenix

Hi all,

I just stumbled upon your site after trying to do some research on better beds than what I am on right now…a Serta iComfort Insight. I am also in the Houston area.

I had an old innerspring before and decided last year to buy a new one (the first one I’ve bought on my own, to be perfectly honest), and thought I was doing a good thing by splurging on that bed. Although my boyfriend has loved it (it has helped his back pain and he says he does sleep cooler) I have the same problem I had on my old innerspring (which I assumed wasn’t supportive anymore) - this one feels TOO firm and in any case, still hurts my back (I am a stomach/side sleeper).

Now here’s the kicker…I bought this mattress from a chain - Mattress Firm. I know :sick: . I figured it would be the best place after the reports from people in my area that their return/exchange window was longer than others. But, after reading thread after thread on here, I wish I had met this never-ending information source that is Phoenix. I mean wow, what I wouldn’t give to just have a personal assistant with all that info. walking around with me to get this done once and for all!

So I think I’ve determined that I am screwed in terms of being able to take this one back for a complete return and go to a factory direct or otherwise more locally owned store. I don’t have the luxury of using the credit I will get toward something that is not another bed (as someone else posted, since they used theirs for the adjustable base). I am literally just a few days away from my 100-day testing period being up.

That means my question is: out of the dictatorship of options that is available at Mattress Firm, where can you begin to give guidance on what the “best” options are? I was originally thinking about just switching out the particular iComfort model that I have thinking it was just a firmness issue, but now that I’ve read all these posts about materials and longevity, I’m wondering if I shouldn’t switch it out with some other “brand” or type completely?

I am not partial either to innerspring or foam, just something that will ease lower back pain for a stomach/side sleeper, is no more expensive than 1200-1500 max, and something that will have a decent life span (you know, the same basic things we’re all asking for…). I did like the fact (well, maybe not the FACT, but the part where I was told) that mites can’t live in memory foam (?). Not sure if I should make that a major design consideration though, given the situation.

Any advice you can provide given the fact that I am now forced to shop there will be MUCH appreciated. And I will remember this experience years from now when I am doing this song-and-dance again to replace whatever I get now.

Sincerely, why-is-some-of-this-mattress-deception-not-illegal?

Hi Nash,

Unfortunately you are in a rather difficult position but post #2 here and the other posts it links to has some suggestions and to a few other forum members that were in a similar situation about how to make the best of your circumstances.

In essence … the best possible solution for most people would be to find a mattress that has the least possible lower quality materials in the comfort layer (such as lower density polyfoam or memory foam) and then add a topper as a comfort layer which can be replaced as necessary without replacing the whole mattress.

I think if there is any good news in all of this it’s that the insight you have is a very “basic” mattress that is among the firmer of the iComfort models and because it has only 2.75" of memory foam it may be a good candidate for a topper which would add a bit of thickness and softness to the comfort layers and may solve the problem. If you were to do this I would probably go with a relatively inexpensive memory foam topper from a big box store to experiment with (so that if you make a mistake you can return it) and see if this solves the issue with the back pain and the excessive firmness … or at least gives you some good indications that it is going in the right direction. I would probably go with a memory foam topper in the range of 2" and I wouldn’t worry about buying the best quality (because the mattress isn’t the best quality anyway). This way you have a way to experiment with some toppers to make sure that a little extra thickness will solve the issue before you decide on a more permanent solution or a higher quality topper.

In looking at some of the other firm mattresses that are available at Mattress Firm … there isn’t anything in the range of your budget that I would really consider there because all of them will have too much lower quality foam in the upper layers. If you choose a mattress that is significantly less than your exchange credit, you won’t receive a refund for the difference and I don’t think any of their more expensive mattresses are really worth considering as the base for a topper either (because none of them have good value or disclose the materials inside them) with the possible exception of the Adele which would cost you more in addition to any additional cost for a topper and I don’t think would be worth the extra cost either.

So in the absence of any good information about the contents of their mattresses and considering that there are very few good options for a firm or ultra firm mattress in the approximate budget range you are looking at … the insight and a topper may be the best you can do to make the best of a bad situation.

FWIW … dust mites can live anywhere that there is enough humidity and some dead skin cells (or other food) to feed on. While memory foam mattresses can reduce the dust mite population … it won’t eliminate them completely. A good mattress protector will also help deprive them of the “food” they need to thrive.

Hope this helps

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. Good to know that out of my choices I have the lesser evil, somewhat. I do also have a 2" topper that I bought from a department store here that I bought when I had my old mattress, so I will try that. I used it initially when the new bed was supposed to be softening up, but I didn’t feel like it helped much at the time. Maybe I’ll try again for longer or look for others that are cheaper until I find the right mix.

And then next on my list is to save up for another mattress, again. I am just out of college so to have back pain in the morning is quite ridiculous to me. Also I feel like my arms go numb more than on my old bed, indicating to me at least that I must not be sinking in much (I’m 130 lbs).

Again thanks for your help. You are a true mattress friend, haha.

Hi Nash,

If you let us know how the topper works (or any changes in comfort and support it makes) then your feedback may be useful to deciding if you need to explore any other options.

Phoenix

thanks for this thread. Just moved to houston and looking for a mattress.

Hi mballard,

I’m glad you found us and that the Houston list helped you.

You have some good options available :slight_smile:

If you have questions along the way feel free to post them and I hope you have the chance to give us your feedback and let us know what you end up choosing.

Phoenix

So glad I found this site. I went through hell a few years back trying to buy a mattress and ended up with a dud. It was a memory foam mattress from Conn’s. Slept great for the first few months, alebit very hot. I did notice towards the end of our time together my back was starting to hurt again and it seems like the upper layers were getting worn out a bit, cratering and such. Only good thing was my ex kept it when i moved out. So fast forward a few years of sleeping on a cheap full size bed, saving for a house etc etc. Now I need a new bed, king size and I really want to buy a good one that I don’t have to worry about. i work a lot and I need good sleep, something I’m not getting right now on my cheapie mattress firm plush innerspring. I’m a bigger guy, 250lbs an I tend to sleep on my sides. Kills my shoulders, wake up in pain or numb in the arm. Lower back pain and between my shoulders as well. The one thing I did like about the memory foam was I slept on my back, and woke up in teh same position and I slept well until the end when it seemed like it was losing some of its support.

Anyway I have my eye on a Brooklyn Bedding bamboo bliss. I like the idea of latex comfort layers (easier to move around and cooler than memory foam) also the wool in the outer layer as I really like a cool sleeping bed. I don’t like to wake up sweaty like I did on the memory foam bed! I definitely want to check out some of these local places too as I’m really timid about ordering a bed I can’t even lay on first, though BB’s exchange policy and reputation has me ready to pull the trigger.

Im ready for some good sleep! lol

Mike

Hi mykvr6,

I’m assuming you’re from Houston as well so you have some good local options to test different types of mattresses and materials.

I think you’re wise to start with local testing and then compare what is available locally to the online options that are available so you can choose between the best of both worlds and which one you are most “comfortable” with.

Phoenix

Yes I am in Houston as well so i will try to check out some of the locals for sure. I’d really like to be able to see or test the mattress first just to see if it will be to my liking. Like I said I’d like to buy a good one that works for me for a few years, not a few months.

I wanted to take a quick moment to echo the others here and express my appreciation for this site and the Houston thread in particular. I was all set to purchase a generic inner spring from one of the big box stores until I stumbled on this site. I visited a couple of places listed in this thread and am set on the Bamboo Bliss from Brooklyn Bedding.

Hi terry107,

Thanks for the kind words … and I’m glad you found us.

Congratulations on your new mattress and I hope you have the chance to share your feedback once you’ve received it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I’d be interested in your review of that mattress as well. I tried some local places, only one had a latex I could see and try. I liked the feel of it. Memory foam beds feel comfortable to me but are way too hot to actually own another one. The latex had a different feel but was definitely comfortable. I’ve been looking hard at the bamboo bliss myself but I think I may opt for the aloe alexis since I think a thicker mattress would be better for a guy my size (5’11" 255) I’ve been working way too much lately but I’m off mon and tues and will give the BB guys a ring. My cheap plush full size spring mattress is killing my back and I can’t sleep more than 4-5 hours without waking up in pain

Hi mykvr6,

The thickness of higher quality foams (as opposed to just the thickness of the mattress itself) can certainly make a difference with higher weights. The Aloe Alexis may be a little better choice in terms of performance and durability because with higher weights you will tend to “go through” a single layer of latex more and the performance and durability of the transition (middle) layers become more important. There is more about some of the differences between an all latex mattress and a latex/polyfoam hybrid (with the Aloe Alexis more in the middle in terms of the amount of latex) in post #2 here and the other post it links to.

I would also keep in mind that firmer foam will generally feel softer for people that are heavier than they would for someone who is lighter and doesn’t compress the layers as much.

Phoenix

Thanks for the lovely list of good places to visit, I’ve recently started looking to buy a new mattress and I now know why I buy most things online, I hate salesmen! I went to Ashley Furniture this past Monday and the salesmen are so pushy. I said I was interested in trying out mattresses and he was too busy trying to sell me a 1500$ bed frame. The actual mattress try out went like this…

“Okay try this one and that one… you like that one better? Okay lets get to the paperwork.”

Now I don’t know about other people but I take longer than 10 minutes to spend a couple thousand dollars. The mattress was a pillowtop and cost 1499 for a queen! I hate when people pressure me to buy something so this is going to be tough for me. I am going to Texas Mattress Makers and Tranquility Beds this weekend to try some beds out, and hopefully it will go better.

Do you have any suggestions for places to buy actual bed frames? I feel like im developing a phobia of salesmen and im going to end up buying everything online for the rest of my life.

Hi Ninjaturtle,

this is one of the reasons I tend to avoid chain stores or most mainstream outlets. The people at smaller independent manufacturers or some of the better sleep shops tend to be much more knowledgeable and experienced and focus more on educating you than “selling” you. It takes longer than 10 minutes to do good testing on a single mattress following the testing guidelines much less to decide on which mattresses to test in the first place.

If you mean the metal rails that hold the foundation then any good store will sell versions that are suitable and most of them come from the same sources (see post #10 here for some examples). If you mean the actual beds (such as a platform bed that can be used directly under a mattress) there are a few options listed in the foundation thread here but beds are more a furniture item and are not my area of specialty. Perhaps other forum members could make some suggestions though.

Phoenix

Hi Ninjaturtle,

I was wondering if you could shed some light about your experience with Texas Mattress Makers. I am moving to Houston soon, and I am searching for a new mattress. I would really like to know what you think of the quality.

Cartman