Assistance requested in Houston, TX

Hi Phoenix,

I am in the market for a new mattress, and I feel very uneducated about the mattress world. From this forum, I understand that the big brands do not provide a good value. However, I am still hesitant about buying mattresses from smaller companies because I do not understand what constitutes good and bad quality materials.

I am currently interested in purchasing a memory foam mattress. I was thinking about purchasing a Serta iComfort, but I feel as if Texas Mattress Makers in Houston may offer a better value. Is their a big difference between gel and nongel memory foam mattresses? Is it necessary to buy a thicker mattress?

I am interested in memory foam mattresses between 9 and 11 inches, but I do not know if a thicker mattress is necessary. Could you please take a look at the Texas Mattress Makers website and let me know your opinion about the quality of their mattresses/materials. I feel pretty lost.

Cartman

Hi Cartman,

The first place I would start your research is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choice.

The gel can affect the feel and support of a memory foam and can also add some cooling effects for a little while when you are first going to sleep (until temperatures equalize). Like all memory foams though it has a distinctive “slow response” feel. I would go more by your own personal testing than trying to analyze all the hundreds of different types of memory foam and gel memory foams. Your body will tell you which mattress construction you prefer.

No … and in some cases a thicker mattress can mean a mattress that is less durable or less suitable if the thickness comes from too much lower quality materials in the upper layers of the mattress. Regardless of how thick or thin a mattress may be … all that really matters is PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) along with making sure you know the quality of all the layers and materials in the mattress so you can make meaningful comparisons and make sure the mattress doesn’t have any “weak links” in terms of durability.

Some of the better options in the Houston area (including Texas Mattress Makers) are listed in post #2 here.

The details of the layers and the quality of the materials isn’t listed on their website but they are transparent about all the materials they use and they will tell you all the details of all the layers if you ask them. Your own personal testing will tell you about whether a mattress is siutable for your needs and preferences and they are experienced and knowledgeable about mattresses and the materials they use.

If you are particularly interested in a specific mattress then once they let you know the specifics you’re certainly welcome to post the information on the forum (the layer thicknesses and the type and density of all the foam layers from top to bottom) and I’d be glad to share my thoughts about it.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I made a call into Texas Mattress Makers today, but I did not completely understand what the guy was talking about. For gel foam mattresses, the memory foam is 4 lbs. For the other memory foam mattresses the layers vary from 2 lbs to 4 lbs. As for the underlying layers, the guy talking about some sort of convoluted foam that was about 2 lbs.

Can you help me make more sense out of this? He mentioned that some of their foams are denser than Tempeur-Pedics but that it did not matter because it may not be better for the user. I will try the mattresses in the store. However, what would your take be on the quality of their foams?

Would it at least be comparable to the Serta iComfort foams?

Hi Cartman,

What you need is the thickness of each layer from top to bottom, the type of foam in each layer (memory foam, polyfoam, latex etc) and then the density of any memory foam or polyfoam or the type and blend of ay latex. if you list these here I’d be happy to share my thoughts about it. any other information such as the type of cover would also be helpful.

The iComfort lineup includes many mattresses so it would depend on which specific mattress you were comparing it to in terms of quality and value.

A mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of all the materials andcomponents inside it regardless of which brand’s label is on the mattress. Without the specifics of each mattress there is no way to make meaningful comparisons.

I’d be happy to share my thoughts but you would need to get the specific layer by layer information from the manufacturer or retailer. Texas mattress makers should be able to provide this to you based on my experience with them.

Phoenix

Anybody knows whether prices at these stores are negotiable.

Hi Bun,

It would depend on which store you are talking about. Many of the better retailers or manufacturers list their best prices on an every day basis and don’t need sales to have better value than the “best” sale prices or “negotiated” prices at more mainstream stores. Others may have have a series of rotating sales which are usually just part of their regular selling price and are for perception and marketing only and others may artificially raise their prices so they have room to give something back with so called “negotiations” which makes some customers feel like they have received some kind of “special deal”.

You can read more about “fake sale prices” in post #5 here and more about negotiating in post #6 here.

It certainly never hurts to ask if they ever have sales or if a price they charge is their 'best price" or if they can add any bonuses to the purchase but again there are many better manufacturers or retailers that give every customer their best possible price without the customer having to ask or negotiate at all so with these they already know that they are in a better value range than the “after sale and negotiation” prices of their competition with any “apples to apples” comparisons with other similar mattresses and you may find that they would rather lose the sale than provide a further discount on top of an already great price.

In general … if you see “huge sales” on a regular basis then I would treat this as a caution and even the sale prices are typically inflated.

Phoenix

I plan to visit the Texas Mattress Makers showroom tomorrow, I have never dealt with a manufacture/store like them before and have no clue how their price structure is like. Should I expect the same pricing scheme as in a regular chain store? Regular folks like me can barely tell the differences between one mattress to the next let alone judging what the fair value should be.

Hi Bun,

If you spend an hour or two with the tutorial post here and follow the steps and guidelines you will be much better prepared to make the most informed choices.

After an hour or two you will know more than about 90% of the people who sell mattresses at mainstream stores and when you find salespeople that are comfortable talking about things like foam quality and density, will tell you all the information you need about what is inside your mattress, and know more than you do, then the odds are high that you are dealing with an “expert” and not just a salesperson that is trying to sell you anything they can for the sake of a commission.

Texas Mattress Makers is a local factory direct manufacturer and these types of stores are usually very different than dealing with chain stores or other mainstream stores (which I would avoid completely). They will focus more on educating you than selling you. It’s unlikely that they would have any “fake sales” and they would typically give you their best prices every day of the year although of course it never hurts to ask.

Phoenix

So we went to the Texas Mattress Makers store last Sat. First off, the salesman did not explain much to us about the mattresses (could be a language problem, but we are not sure). He suggested fairly expensive ones ($1500-$2000/king set) for our bed room, and cheaper ones ($400-$800/queen set) for our guest room. He said the expensive one provided better support and “longevity”. Since most had the same 10-year guarantee, we asked so the cheaper one wouldn’t last 10 years? He said it would, but if the mattress was used everyday as in our bedroom, we should get the more expensive models… We didn’t feel very convincing, but left it as that. Anyway, my wife didn’t like the idea of experimenting with an expensive set, so we looked at the cheaper models for our guest room. First we looked at the ones with an extra top. These have smaller and shorter coils in the top. And the problem is you can clearly see and feel the coils from the size of the mattress. This does not seem to be right aesthetically. I don’t think nobody want to see coils from a mattress. The manufacture should at least put some foam around the edges to hide these springs. Next we checked the ones without the extra top. We found one with the firmness that we liked. But when we sit really hard on the mattress, it has a very springy action similar to cheaper models from the chain stores . I do not know if this “jump” test has any merits, but from our observations expensive ones tend to have a more damper feel. At this point, my wife said “I tried to be open minded and went along with your mattress science theories, but it’s time for me to go shopping”. I guess that the end of my venture into off-brand mattresses.

Hi Bun,

Have you read the tutorial post?

Outside of good testing for PPP … one of the most important parts of any mattress purchase is making sure that you know the specifics of all the materials in any mattress you are considering so you can identify any weak links in the mattress and make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

I would also be aware that a mattress warranty has little connection to the useful life of a mattress (see post #174 here about mattress warranties).

A mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials inside it and the name of the manufacturer makes no difference in terms of the quality/value and durability of a mattress. It’s always the design and construction and the quality of the materials inside that will determine the useful life of a mattress (there is more about the factors that can affect the useful life of a mattress in post #4 here and post #2 here)

There is a big difference between “theories” and the facts and information you have available to you on this site. The goal of the site is to help the members here make educated and informed choices and to help them replace hindsight with foresight but of course each person is always free to shop for or choose a mattress in any way they believe is best for them and each person may have their own unique personal value equation regardless of the quality, durability, or relative value of any mattress they may end up buying.

Good luck in your search :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hello.

I have read through your site but most of it is very overwhelming to me. I am a stomach sleeper and have a lot of back problems. Our current mattress is a Sterns & Foster and is 12.5 years old. It is sagging which is causing more problems for my back.

My husband and I just visited Texas Mattress Makers yesterday and purchased this mattress to be delivered next weekend. The HD form top is 2".

I really like this shop and the sales people. But this decision is so important because of my back that I keep second guessing myself. I completely understand I need a firmer mattress to support my back. But I also am very large chested. If the mattress is too firm, my chest is not cushioned enough which is uncomfortable but more importantly causes my back to arch.

I really liked the mattresses with the thin layer of coils in the comfort layer. They really did the trick for me. But the sales man said that would be short lived and we needed the higher density form. He did have me try the 1" HD top but it was way too hard for me.

One of my concerns with the one we got was the showroom mattress was sagging on both sides. The salesman told me to test it in the center and it was fine there. I’m concerned about the sagging. He told me it was because every type of person was trying it and ours would confirm to my body correctly. Is this correct?

Also, how do I determine if the HD form is high enough density for me? I do not know that the specs are for this form. Or is there something out there I haven’t considered that I need to go look at?

Thank you!

Hi BSchoppe,

[quote]I really liked the mattresses with the thin layer of coils in the comfort layer. They really did the trick for me. But the sales man said that would be short lived and we needed the higher density form. He did have me try the 1" HD top but it was way too hard for me.

One of my concerns with the one we got was the showroom mattress was sagging on both sides. The salesman told me to test it in the center and it was fine there. I’m concerned about the sagging. He told me it was because every type of person was trying it and ours would confirm to my body correctly. Is this correct?[/quote]

Unfortunately I can’t feel what you feel or see you lying on the mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict which mattress would be the most suitable choice for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can be more accurate than your own personal testing and experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here),

There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress that is most suitable for you in terms of PPP and how to minimize the risks involved with each of them in post #2 here.

I also don’t know any details about your body type which would have an effect on the type and quality of materials that would be suitable for you in terms of durability and the useful life of the mattress as well (see the guidelines here along with post #4 here and the posts it links to which has more detailed information about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different body types).

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here.

I don’t know whether their concerns were about the durability of the materials in the mattress relative to your body type or the suitability of the mattress for your body type and sleeping positions (PPP) but either way I would certainly take any guidance they provide you to heart because they are experienced and knowledgeable about helping to “match” the mattresses they make to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences.

Could you clarify whether their concerns were about the mattress being suitable for you or whether they were about the mattress being durable enough for you (which are both very different issues)?

The quality guidelines and the information in the post I linked about durability should be helpful but if you can also provide more information about you as well as the all the specifics of the materials and components inside the mattress you are considering (see this article) I’d be happy to make some comments about the materials and components inside the mattress as well.

There are hundreds of other mattresses that you could look at and I don’t think that most people would have the time to consider every mattress that is available to them but how many mattresses or stores that you decide to include in your research would depend on how you feel about the mattresses you have already tested in terms of suitability, durability, and “value”. As you probably know, Texas Mattress Makers is a member of this site which means that I believe that they compete with the best in the industry in terms or their quality, value, service, and transparency but if you wish to consider other stores or mattresses as well then the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Houston area are listed in post #2 here earlier in this same topic.

The mattress tutorial also includes many of the better online options I’m aware of (the lists are linked in the optional online step) if you also wish to include online options in your research as well.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix

Sorry I didn’t include more details. I got some more information on the mattress that I didn’t have before.

The Comfort Layer seems to be HR Foam even though that are advertising it as HD Foam. Yay for me. The density is 2.5#/cubic foot. I didn’t understand what the salesman told be about the compressions modulus. He said something about 60% IFD (?) and 16# of softness. I could be miss quoting those so please forgive me.

So it seems this is a very good comfort layer and should last me a long time. I could not find on your site if 2 inches of HR Foam is OK or not. I know you say no more than 1 inch for the lower grades but I can’t find anything about how much is too much for HR Foam.

More information about me. I am fairly average. I am about 5’4" and 150 pounds. When I am on my stomach, (which happens regularly while I sleep. I try to stop but I always end up there) I hang my feet off the edge of the bed so that doesn’t cause extra arching in the back. I prefer a fuller down pillow but that is mostly due to my chest size. I am currently a 32H so you can see why that causes problems when on my stomach. If my pillow is too thin, it causes more pressure on my chest. I also try to start my night on my side or back so a thicker pillow is more comfortable.

I need a comfort later that will allow my chest to sink in more but not give up support for my back. If my chest does not sink in, then they will naturally cause by back to arch and this is what is causing the majority of my back pain.

I also worry because the showroom floor models were sagging and I was told that is because of so many types of people test driving them. The salesman said mine will mold to my body. Is that OK? To me that sounds like the comfort layer will get indentions which eventually will become sagging and I will be right back where I am today.

I think this is why the lower model with the little coils in the comfort layer was more comfortable for me. They did the perfect job on the showroom floor. But the salesman, and from what I can read from your site, say the HR Foam will last me longer. I guess I just need to be reconfirmed of this. It’s not just the money I am spending on the bed. It’s my health at stake.

I guess to summarize, when we talk about PPP, it is hard to day for me. In the store things feel fine but I am more worried about after we have been sleeping on it for some time. I can’t ‘test drive’ that.

Thanks again for all your help. This site has been beyond helpful!

Hi BSchoppe,

[quote]The Comfort Layer seems to be HR Foam even though that are advertising it as HD Foam. Yay for me. The density is 2.5#/cubic foot. I didn’t understand what the salesman told be about the compressions modulus. He said something about 60% IFD (?) and 16# of softness. I could be miss quoting those so please forgive me.

So it seems this is a very good comfort layer and should last me a long time. I could not find on your site if 2 inches of HR Foam is OK or not. I know you say no more than 1 inch for the lower grades but I can’t find anything about how much is too much for HR Foam.[/quote]

The 2.5 lb density polyfoam they use is HD (not HR) but either way it is a very high quality and durable material and certainly wouldn’t be a weak link in any mattress. The IFD/ILD of a material is a comfort spec and isn’t important to know because with careful testing your body will tell you much more about whether a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) than the “comfort specs” of the materials or components inside it. The guideline of “no more than about an inch or so” of lower quality or unknown materials wouldn’t apply to 2.5 lb polyfoam or any other high quality material that meets (or in this case exceeds) the foam quality/density guidelines here.

[quote]More information about me. I am fairly average. I am about 5’4" and 150 pounds. When I am on my stomach, (which happens regularly while I sleep. I try to stop but I always end up there) I hang my feet off the edge of the bed so that doesn’t cause extra arching in the back. I prefer a fuller down pillow but that is mostly due to my chest size. I am currently a 32H so you can see why that causes problems when on my stomach. If my pillow is too thin, it causes more pressure on my chest. I also try to start my night on my side or back so a thicker pillow is more comfortable.

I need a comfort later that will allow my chest to sink in more but not give up support for my back. If my chest does not sink in, then they will naturally cause by back to arch and this is what is causing the majority of my back pain.[/quote]

The most reliable way to know whether any mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP is careful and objective testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial. There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to reliably predict whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP based on specs (either yours or a mattress" or "theory at a distance (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). There is more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) and how to identify and minimize the risk involved in each of them in post #2 here.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

I don’t know why the showroom mattress is sagging (although showroom mattress can often be subject to some abuse that wouldn’t reflect real life conditions) and I don’t know all the rest of the specs of the mattress (see here) so I can’t make any meaningful comments about it but the 2.5 lb polyfoam is a high quality and durable material and certainly wouldn’t be a weak link in the mattress.

While all foam materials will soften or impress to some degree over time … 2.5 lb polyfoam (whether it is HR or HD) is a very high quality and durable material that certainly wouldn’t be a weak link or subject to any unusual sagging in any mattress under “normal” conditions.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, I was going to go to Texas Mattress Makers this weekend, but now, after reading what BSchoppe said, I’m not so sure. It seemed strange to me that a mattress manufacturer should have any mattresses out in the showroom that sag, no matter how many people have sat on them. Thanks for all the fantastic info- I might have blindly gone to one of the many mattress retail stores that are more numerous in Houston than Starbucks.

Hi novapbs,

I think a trip to Texas Mattress Makers would be well worthwhile and they certainly have some high quality mattresses available. I don’t know the reason for the sagging mattress on the floor (it would seem odd to me as well) but if for some reason it’s still there then you can always decide if that’s a deal breaker based on your entire experience there.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=48584]Hi novapbs,

I think a trip to Texas Mattress Makers would be well worthwhile and they certainly have some high quality mattresses available. I don’t know the reason for the sagging mattress on the floor (it would seem odd to me as well) but if for some reason it’s still there then you can always decide if that’s a deal breaker based on your entire experience there.

Phoenix[/quote]

We noticed this concern and we wanted to put some information out there as to why you may see some dipping in some of our mattresses in our showroom. To be brief, we purposely display mattresses which have been preemptively exposed to pressure so shoppers can try the mattress in the way it will actually feel for the majority of it’s lifespan. Some mattresses acquired a “body impression” from this pressure, depending on the mattress construction. The initial feel of the mattress when it is new can be much firmer (again, depending on the mattress construction) and we encourage an open dialog about what to expect in the mattress feel over time.
For a more in depth explanation, please see our blog post on the topic here:
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: texasmattressmakers.com/better-sleep-blog/why-your-mattress-feels-firmer-than-the-store/

alesimattress.com/ - A & M Mattress Co
I actually bought a mattress here for a spare room years ago. It is close to my neighborhood in the rough part of town and had no idea it was top quality until stumbling into this site and these forums and this thread. Looking to replace a 10+ year mattress, I will try this place again. There is no showroom, but sales will take you around the warehouse to see the mattresses.

Hi mario15:

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’d appreciate any follow-up on your upcoming visit to this store, including any specifications of the foam layers of any mattress you decide to purchase. It would be a useful addition to the Houston area thread.

Phoenix

Hello mario15:
We would like to invite you to visit our store as well during your search for a new mattress. Our showroom is located inside our factory and we have dozens of mattresses set up for you to try. Our Mattress Specialists have all worked the production line and will work with you one-on-one to fit you to a bed for your specific comfort and support needs. We can also create a custom mattress or customize any of our mattresses as needed. Good luck on your search, and please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. We hope to see you soon!

(713) 341-6252
Texas Mattress Makers
4619 Navigation Blvd
Houston, TX 77011
[email protected]