Assistance requested in Houston, TX

Great website and forum!

I’m in Houston, TX and would appreciate receiving a list of retailers and/or manufacturers in my area that sell latex mattresses. My wife and I would like to try them out and determine what might work for us.

Thanks.

Hi stemsiis,

There’s a couple of posts that list Houston manufacturers and outlets so I’ll amalgamate them here in a “Houston, TX” thread so they’re all in one place. I’ve included some non latex options just for reference for any others who may be looking in Houston.

There are quite a few chain store type of outlets in Houston who seem to dominate the market there … most of which don’t have any mattresses I would realistically consider to have good value. There are however a few factory direct manufacturers who sell mattresses with better value which is where I would focus. They are …

https://texasmattressmakers.com/ Factory direct outlet for Noah’s manufacturing which is a Houston based wholesale mattress manufacturer that has a public showroom by their factory. I have talked with Youval (the owner) and they are knowledgeable and experienced and what I call “mattress people” who understand mattresses and will disclose all the materials in their mattresses. They are also a member of this site which means I believe they compete well with the best in the industry and would be well worth a visit.

http://www.houstondiscountmattress.com/ or https://www.sleepworldmattress.com/ Factory direct manufacturer in Houston who builds memory foam mattresses using high quality Sensus (from Foamex) memory foam, along with latex and latex hybrid mattresses. He has one of the best warranties I’ve ever seen. You can see some feedback about them here.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: houstonmattress.com/hm_faq9.htm

http://alesimattress.com/ and www.antiquemattress.com/index.htm and http://marinemattress.com/ A “mom and pop” (husband and wife) factory direct manufacturer in Houston and San Leon that mainly makes custom size mattresses but will make standard sizes as well. In their own words … “we don’t make cheap mattresses” because they use higher quality materials than the major manufacturers. They mostly make pocket coil mattresses but can make you pretty much whatever you want. Uses Foamex foam. Doesn’t have an actual “showroom” (mainly a factory and an office) but with an appointment will set up a few mattresses for you to try.

https://www.manta.com/c/mm7czz2/gomez-mattress-company Another mom and pop factory direct manufacturer in Houston that supplies retail outlets and factory direct. No website. They speak mostly spanish. They have several “standard” types of mattress on their showroom floor but will custom build as well.

Shop Affordable Home Furnishings & Home Goods - IKEA Houston, TX. See post #3 here for some of the better options here.

http://www.newliving.net/ Local retailer that carries OMI (latex), Naturepedic (childrens mattresses), Royal-Pedic (innerspring/natural fiber) and Savvy Rest component latex mattresses which are all high quality mattresses but they are also in a more premium price range so I would make some careful value comparisons here.

http://www.citymattressfactory.com/ Factory direct manufacturer in Dallas but I know that they supply mattresses to some retail outlets in Houston and if you see a mattress that you want to test on their website they will check their shipping records to see if any local outlet carries it.

https://cantoni.com/ Retailer in Houston. Carries a private label version of Berkeley Ergonomics (see this topic) along with Savvy Rest component latex mattresses and Vi Spring (ultra premium mattresses).

Strangely enough, there are more wholesale manufacturers in Houston than there are factory direct. Some of these are licensees for larger national brands and some of whom are more local or regional manufacturers that sell their own brands through local outlets. They usually have a list of outlets on their website or will give you the names of local outlets with a phone call or an email. Some of these have their products listed on their website but will also make “house brands” that are sold under a different name at local outlets.

While these may not have the same value as local factory direct outlets, they will often have better value than mass market or chain store type of outlets. It’s important if you are considering any of these that the retail outlet that carries them will give you the information about the layers in each mattress so you can confirm for yourself that there are no “weak links” using lower quality foam in the mattress. Because you are not dealing directly with the manufacturer, the quality, transparency, and knowledge of retail outlets that carry them varies widely.

www.noahsmfg.com/
Sleep-Designs Manufactures Eclipse, Eastman House, and their own Sleep Designs and Elemental (gel foams) lines
https://www.manta.com/c/mm2d4m4/continental-silverlineRestonic Licensee
Quality Mattress Company
https://www.corsicanamattress.com/sleepinc.incTherapedic and Spring Air licensee and also makes its own brand
http://puretalalaybliss.com/ They are a national manufacturer but they make a range of Talalay latex and latex hybrid mattresses and you can find the retailer closest to you with their retail store finder.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: goldenmattressinc.com/

This should give you some good choices in your area and hopefully you won’t have to visit any of the chain stores that are common in your area and tend to have much lower quality/value mattresses.

Phoenix

I’m in Houston, TX and would appreciate receiving a list of retailers and/or manufacturers in my area that sell latex mattresses.

Hi valentinetti0,

I removed your signature link because the forum rules state only the members of the site are allowed to include a signature link to their business in their posts.

Several of the manufacturers in the list in the previous post in this thread make either all latex or latex hybrid mattresses but I don’t have a list of the specific mattresses that each of them make. A few phone calls though will give you the types of mattresses they make and any details you may want to know if they are not included on their websites.

Phoenix

I can share my Houston shopping experience.

I have been trying to find latex mattresses in Houston so I went to several places from Phoenix’s list.

‘Houston Mattress Factory’: I almost skipped that place since it looked like an abandoned building. They told me they had 1 latex mattress. I tried it but it was hard to get a feeling since it was covered with plastic.
The law tag did not say ‘latex’ but something else, but the salesman told me – ‘it is there because of the law’. He said it costs $1300, and he can build whatever I want.
He would let me exchange layers up to a year later, if I desire so. Afterwards, I did not like it because I don’t think I would trust him.

‘Angel Beds’ – very nice showroom, they had three latex mattresses from the Tranquility line. One was 6" Talalay, another was 6"+2" and another one.
They seemed too soft for me (I am 144#, prefer firm). They had a bouncy feeling, they reminded me of my spring mattress that I want to replace.
That was disappointment – I had great hopes for those. After testing them, I decided I would never order online, I would buy only if I could test it.
The store also have a memory mattresses which felt much better than their latex ones, very good indeed. So if you are looking for memory mattress, then give them a chance and try them.

‘Texas Mattress Makers’ – unfortunately they did not have any latex mattresses but they had several very good memory ones.
I liked a couple of firmer ones, but I already decided I don’t want a memory mattress. What is very nice is that you can see from the showroom how factory workers assemble mattresses.
Also some mattresses were less than $1k and they seem to be of high quality.

‘Ikea’ not from the list but I liked two – Elfsjord, very thin, firm, artificial latex. ‘Edsele’ – 7" natural latex ($1k). I know that Phoenix mentioned that it is possible to find mattresses with better quality latex, but I liked the firmness and the feeling of Edsele

‘Mattresses For Less’ – they had a couple of very expensive ones, and they were not pure latex but mixed with poly foam

‘Dump’ – I was surprised but I found two latex matresses – Restonic Healthrest Omega, soft and medium. They were 6"+2" talalay. I was able to find law tags, it says 100% latex. They cost about $1400 together with foundation. They say they would also give 2 latex pillows.
I liked the firmer one, but still not sure. Also, I could not find specs on Restonic website, or anywhere else.

I will continue to look for latex mattresses in Houston, if anyone has any info please share.

What a wonderful and helpful site!

Hi nimailni,

Well you’ve certainly been doing your homework :slight_smile:

I’ll make a few comments that might help …

Houston Mattress Factory:

I sure wouldn’t have any trust issues with them. They’ve been in business for over 50 years and they have an A+ rating with the BBB (no complaints) which is almost impossible if you are not a member (which they’re not). They use high quality materials in their mattresses but there are also two different types of law tags. The state law tag is the one that lists the percentage of the ingredients and this will show latex (if it is). The other one may have shown SenSurPedic which is their trademark. They will also often add a polyfoam rail or encasement to the edges of their latex mattress for those who want a firmer edge but this is up to each customer (they custom build for each person). The all latex mattress they sell is also two sided which increases the value. I personally would trust what they say is in the mattress and the “correct” law tag should confirm it. I do know though (and you’re not the first to comment on it) that their building is not the most attractive “showroom” but the value of their product is great IMO and reflects that their money goes into their mattress and their willingness to make adjustments until you’re happy.

Angel Beds

They have some good choices and “better than average” value as well. Their mattresses are either a Dunlop core, a Dunlop/Talalay mix, or all Talalay. the difference with them is that the mattresses are 'standardized" which means that they have a standard layer thickness and ILD so they can’t be adjusted … only exchanged for a completely new mattress. In effect they have 4 different models rather than the dozens that individual adjustments of materials and layer ILD’s would provide. different layer thicknesses and ILD’s and different ticking/quilting layers can make a big difference in the performance and feel or a mattress including latex mattresses. I’m notsure which ones they had on the floor there but most people will describe Talalay as more springy while Dunlop will be denser and a little less lively. With a combination it will depend on the layers which of the different “feels” will come through the most.

Texas Mattress Makers

I like them as well although as you mentioned they don’t make an all latex mattress. The quality of each mattress would depend on knowing the specifics of the materials that are in them but they are also “better than average” value in each price range. With larger manufacturers … it’s important to find out the density of any polyfoam or memory foam layers in the mattress (the materials are a big part of the quality of a mattress and there are many types of polyfoam from very cheap to expensive which can feel similar in a showroom) but Noah is better at letting their customers know this when they ask than most.

Ikea

Ikea is also better than average value IMO although I would focus on their “mostly natural” latex rather than their mostly synthetic models. Even though the prices are slightly higher … they have better value and performance in a Dunlop mattress. The greater natural elasticity of natural latex works to the advantage of Dunlop latex. My thoughts about the Ikea latex lineup are in post #3 here. The Edsele is one of the better value choices at Ikea and it is certainly also “better than average” value even though the Dunlop latex is “mostly natural” rather than “all natural”. While most people would find this too firm and would prefer a comfort layer for better pressure relief … for those who like the feel of firmer Dunlop this would make a good choice.

Mattresses For Less

Not much to say here except that as you mentioned in these types of outlets … a “latex” mattress is not usually latex and will often have just a few inches of latex in the mix. If they are a major brand (like Sealy or Stearns and Foster) … then this latex will usually be “mostly synthetic” Dunlop which is the lowest cost/quality version of latex. These are the types of outlets I would tend to avoid.

Dump

Some of my thoughts about the Dump and other liquidation outlets are in post #3 here. Restonic is a licensing group of factories across the country and each factory can use different materials and layers in their mattresses which are sold in different areas of the country which is why they don’t list the specs on their website. All of the different versions may share the Healthrest name … but be very different mattresses. Some of these licensees do make an “all latex” mattress like you describe and some use several inches of polyfoam over the latex (which is not so great) and some use a 2" layer of very firm polyfoam in the base (which is fine and can help to “stabilize” a mattress with softer talalay and make it easier to construct). An example of a Restonic licensee which lists the layers of their local mattresses and makes an all Talalay latex mattress (both one and two sided versions) is Clare Bedding here (click the “view product information” link). I wish all manufacturers would be as open about what they put in their mattresses. If this mattress says 100% latex … then it may be one of the better choices … but I would also check to make sure it has a manufacturers warranty that can be registered with Restonic or the odds are pretty good that you are looking at a comfort exchange or a mattress that is “unknown” in terms of what has really happened that led to it being sold at the Dump. If this really was a new mattress set with a factory warranty with 8" of Talalay latex, then it would be good value.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: clarebedding.com/index.asp?sPage=11#Healthrest

You have some great choices around you … and thank you for sharing your experiences with us :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks for your comments. It is amazing that you know so much about our local stores.

You mentioned the warranty as the potential issue with the Dump. A mattress should be as good as are its parts (I learned that from you!). If you know the parts you should be fine. It is completely different problem that we cannot figure out what the Dump mattresses are exactly made of. If we know, I wouldn’t worry about the warranty or absence of it. It would be well justified risk.

As an example, a year ago my girlfriend and I were in Dump, and she recognized the quality of a carpet in Dump and we bought it. I did not pay much attention, but I checked it yesterday – it is hand crafted, and 100% Wool! We bought it for around $150, incredible value. I like taking risks like this!

Btw, we did not like anything else in the Dump, since in our opinion, all American furniture looks like it is 100 years old.

After all, who would have thought that buying a mattress can be fun!

Hi nimailni,

You are absolutely correct about warranties and for the most part (except for legitimate manufacturing issues) they are primarily a sales tool. The reason I mentioned it though was that there are many liquidation outlets that are not authorized dealers of the mattresses they sell and the lack of a manufacturers warranty (as opposed to a store guarantee) can be an indication of comfort returns, used mattresses, or worse! In this case asking about the warranty can help identify whether they are a legitimate dealer for a particular brand.

Mattresses can be a very “personal” (we spend a lot of time in close contact with them) and I personally am not comfortable with the sales practices of many “liquidation” type outlets where you never really know what you are buying unless you happen to know the owners of the company or have some good information about the source of their mattresses besides the “stories” they tell you. Some online research about the particular outlet can be helpful here. There are just not enough “production overruns”, “overstocks”, “last years brands”, “scratched and dent”, “truck scuffs” and other types of “wholesale discount” mattresses to supply all the retailers or liquidators that claim to carry them. While some of these are legitimate, many are not and use a “cover story” for the real sources of their mattresses. Many of these outlets also use misleading advertising.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: bbb.org/norfolk/business-reviews/furniture-retail-and-online/dump-the-in-virginia-beach-va-9000464#govtaction

It would also be well worth watching this video

If the Restonics have a factory warranty (not from the retailer) and are not a floor model, comfort return, or have some known issues (which will void most factory warranties), an inspection of the mattress doesn’t show stains (or attempts to remove a stain) or evidence of use, and you are comfortable with their source … then all that’s left as you mentioned is to find out the materials in the mattress. If you check the law tag and it says 100% latex then it likely is (because Restonic does make these). I would also check for any yellow (sanitation) or red (rebuilt) tags on the mattress or any remnants (in the stitching) of a tag that has been removed. If all looks good … then as you mentioned you may be looking at some good value in exchange for some added “risk”.

Phoenix

In a perfect world, I would have a zippered cover and 5-6 different latex layers so I could test them for a week.
In less than a perfect world, I would at least have a store where I would be able to do so.

I cannot experiment much here now when I am so hyper. Sigh.

Hi nimailni,

With some good testing and/or the help of someone who is knowledgeable you should be able to get close to 80-90% of “perfection” which is much better than most people end up with. Going for 100% perfection is usually a matter of the law of diminishing returns because our needs and preferences can change from time to time and even day to day anyway and 100% may not be achievable on an every day basis.

At least one of the outlets you are looking at …Houston Mattress Factory … will let you “test” your mattress until you are satisfied (they will change out a layer if you aren’t happy with how it performs) so even if you make a mistake it can be corrected.

Angel beds also has a good exchange and refund policy and you have the advantage of being able to test what most people would buy online.

Texas Mattress Makers doesn’t allow for any changes or refunds so you would need to test carefully here with your long term needs and preferences in mind (which I would do in any outlet regardless of their policies).

Ikea’s return policy states that you can only exchange a mattress for another one which may not be practical if they don’t have another one that is suitable. It may also require a topper to be as comfortable as some of your other choices.

And finally of course … you said you were a risk taker and if you feel good about the Dump mattress and it’s source … then this would also be good value and may be worth the risk even though I would assume there is no recourse if you get it wrong. At least it seems to be one of Restonic’s better mattresses.

You have tested each of these so you would have a good idea of which was most suitable for you in terms of pressure relief and alignment and you also have good knowledge of your options if things don’t work out exactly the way you hope so from this point on you don’t really need to experiment any more and it would just be a matter of weighing the pros and cons of each and deciding which was most suitable for your needs and preferences and closest to your overall “value equation”

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix,

I found the stores your provided having wide variety of mattresses to choose from. One of my friend suggested me to go for Posturepedic signature by Sealy. he also recommend me to browse houston discount mattresses as this retailer providing pillow top for just 349$. I have selceted a Sealy. Do have any opinion about my choice ?

Hi Michael,

I’ve removed your links to your store and replaced them with just your store name and the brand name of the mattress you linked to.

But just to answer you post more generically …

I personally don’t recommend major brands because of their low quality or “unknown” foams as you can see from the guidelines here.

You can also see from post #2 here … that I am also not comfortable buying from liquidation outlets because the risk that you are buying a used mattress is just too high.

Phoenix

Hi all,

I just stumbled upon your site after trying to do some research on better beds than what I am on right now…a Serta iComfort Insight. I am also in the Houston area.

I had an old innerspring before and decided last year to buy a new one (the first one I’ve bought on my own, to be perfectly honest), and thought I was doing a good thing by splurging on that bed. Although my boyfriend has loved it (it has helped his back pain and he says he does sleep cooler) I have the same problem I had on my old innerspring (which I assumed wasn’t supportive anymore) - this one feels TOO firm and in any case, still hurts my back (I am a stomach/side sleeper).

Now here’s the kicker…I bought this mattress from a chain - Mattress Firm. I know :sick: . I figured it would be the best place after the reports from people in my area that their return/exchange window was longer than others. But, after reading thread after thread on here, I wish I had met this never-ending information source that is Phoenix. I mean wow, what I wouldn’t give to just have a personal assistant with all that info. walking around with me to get this done once and for all!

So I think I’ve determined that I am screwed in terms of being able to take this one back for a complete return and go to a factory direct or otherwise more locally owned store. I don’t have the luxury of using the credit I will get toward something that is not another bed (as someone else posted, since they used theirs for the adjustable base). I am literally just a few days away from my 100-day testing period being up.

That means my question is: out of the dictatorship of options that is available at Mattress Firm, where can you begin to give guidance on what the “best” options are? I was originally thinking about just switching out the particular iComfort model that I have thinking it was just a firmness issue, but now that I’ve read all these posts about materials and longevity, I’m wondering if I shouldn’t switch it out with some other “brand” or type completely?

I am not partial either to innerspring or foam, just something that will ease lower back pain for a stomach/side sleeper, is no more expensive than 1200-1500 max, and something that will have a decent life span (you know, the same basic things we’re all asking for…). I did like the fact (well, maybe not the FACT, but the part where I was told) that mites can’t live in memory foam (?). Not sure if I should make that a major design consideration though, given the situation.

Any advice you can provide given the fact that I am now forced to shop there will be MUCH appreciated. And I will remember this experience years from now when I am doing this song-and-dance again to replace whatever I get now.

Sincerely, why-is-some-of-this-mattress-deception-not-illegal?

Hi Nash,

Unfortunately you are in a rather difficult position but post #2 here and the other posts it links to has some suggestions and to a few other forum members that were in a similar situation about how to make the best of your circumstances.

In essence … the best possible solution for most people would be to find a mattress that has the least possible lower quality materials in the comfort layer (such as lower density polyfoam or memory foam) and then add a topper as a comfort layer which can be replaced as necessary without replacing the whole mattress.

I think if there is any good news in all of this it’s that the insight you have is a very “basic” mattress that is among the firmer of the iComfort models and because it has only 2.75" of memory foam it may be a good candidate for a topper which would add a bit of thickness and softness to the comfort layers and may solve the problem. If you were to do this I would probably go with a relatively inexpensive memory foam topper from a big box store to experiment with (so that if you make a mistake you can return it) and see if this solves the issue with the back pain and the excessive firmness … or at least gives you some good indications that it is going in the right direction. I would probably go with a memory foam topper in the range of 2" and I wouldn’t worry about buying the best quality (because the mattress isn’t the best quality anyway). This way you have a way to experiment with some toppers to make sure that a little extra thickness will solve the issue before you decide on a more permanent solution or a higher quality topper.

In looking at some of the other firm mattresses that are available at Mattress Firm … there isn’t anything in the range of your budget that I would really consider there because all of them will have too much lower quality foam in the upper layers. If you choose a mattress that is significantly less than your exchange credit, you won’t receive a refund for the difference and I don’t think any of their more expensive mattresses are really worth considering as the base for a topper either (because none of them have good value or disclose the materials inside them) with the possible exception of the Adele which would cost you more in addition to any additional cost for a topper and I don’t think would be worth the extra cost either.

So in the absence of any good information about the contents of their mattresses and considering that there are very few good options for a firm or ultra firm mattress in the approximate budget range you are looking at … the insight and a topper may be the best you can do to make the best of a bad situation.

FWIW … dust mites can live anywhere that there is enough humidity and some dead skin cells (or other food) to feed on. While memory foam mattresses can reduce the dust mite population … it won’t eliminate them completely. A good mattress protector will also help deprive them of the “food” they need to thrive.

Hope this helps

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. Good to know that out of my choices I have the lesser evil, somewhat. I do also have a 2" topper that I bought from a department store here that I bought when I had my old mattress, so I will try that. I used it initially when the new bed was supposed to be softening up, but I didn’t feel like it helped much at the time. Maybe I’ll try again for longer or look for others that are cheaper until I find the right mix.

And then next on my list is to save up for another mattress, again. I am just out of college so to have back pain in the morning is quite ridiculous to me. Also I feel like my arms go numb more than on my old bed, indicating to me at least that I must not be sinking in much (I’m 130 lbs).

Again thanks for your help. You are a true mattress friend, haha.

Hi Nash,

If you let us know how the topper works (or any changes in comfort and support it makes) then your feedback may be useful to deciding if you need to explore any other options.

Phoenix

thanks for this thread. Just moved to houston and looking for a mattress.

Hi mballard,

I’m glad you found us and that the Houston list helped you.

You have some good options available :slight_smile:

If you have questions along the way feel free to post them and I hope you have the chance to give us your feedback and let us know what you end up choosing.

Phoenix

So glad I found this site. I went through hell a few years back trying to buy a mattress and ended up with a dud. It was a memory foam mattress from Conn’s. Slept great for the first few months, alebit very hot. I did notice towards the end of our time together my back was starting to hurt again and it seems like the upper layers were getting worn out a bit, cratering and such. Only good thing was my ex kept it when i moved out. So fast forward a few years of sleeping on a cheap full size bed, saving for a house etc etc. Now I need a new bed, king size and I really want to buy a good one that I don’t have to worry about. i work a lot and I need good sleep, something I’m not getting right now on my cheapie mattress firm plush innerspring. I’m a bigger guy, 250lbs an I tend to sleep on my sides. Kills my shoulders, wake up in pain or numb in the arm. Lower back pain and between my shoulders as well. The one thing I did like about the memory foam was I slept on my back, and woke up in teh same position and I slept well until the end when it seemed like it was losing some of its support.

Anyway I have my eye on a Brooklyn Bedding bamboo bliss. I like the idea of latex comfort layers (easier to move around and cooler than memory foam) also the wool in the outer layer as I really like a cool sleeping bed. I don’t like to wake up sweaty like I did on the memory foam bed! I definitely want to check out some of these local places too as I’m really timid about ordering a bed I can’t even lay on first, though BB’s exchange policy and reputation has me ready to pull the trigger.

Im ready for some good sleep! lol

Mike

Hi mykvr6,

I’m assuming you’re from Houston as well so you have some good local options to test different types of mattresses and materials.

I think you’re wise to start with local testing and then compare what is available locally to the online options that are available so you can choose between the best of both worlds and which one you are most “comfortable” with.

Phoenix