At a loss

Thanks for this site, I have used it a lot over the past 4 years. We have purchased 3 beds in the last 5 years. We had a Marshall’s mattress for years that we loved, luxury plush. We are in Canada. But now they are made with memory foam. We started the saga with a basic memory foam, too hot not enough support. That is when I found your site. We bought a hybrid mattress from one of your suggested retailers. Still hot, and again not properly supported. Comfortable though, but sore back. Return policy didn’t work as we bought their top end and their policy was exchange. Last summer we bought a Swiss Dreams bed, as we thought latex would be the answer. While it was not hot, I did find it warm. It doesn’t retain the heat as much as memory foam for sure. However, we found the bed way too firm. So we bought two latex toppers (Sleep on Latex, recommended on this site), And it is still too firm. We are both side sleepers and are waking up with sore shoulders as well as sore mid-back. We are both average weight. So I am at a loss. Where to go from here? I would love the best of both worlds, cooling and comfort but I do not know if that is possible. Last summer we had researched the Brooklyn Aurora, but due to COVID, their comfort guarantee wouldn’t work as no one is taking mattress donations. So we have spent over $5k already and still don’t have a mattress that works.

I am a hot sleeper and do not like memory foam. I have a Vispring mattress. Their mattresses do not use foam of any kind. They aren’t cheap but the quality is good.

Hi leighecoteach.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear you’ve had bad luck with your recent mattress purchases and that you’re finding yourself lacking the adequate support and sleeping hot.

You mentioned you really liked the Luxury Plush mattress you had. Do you happen to know what the components of that mattress were before they swapped out to memory foam?

I am not sure if you came across some of our posts that discuss temperature regulations issues, but you can read more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here more about tracking mattress temperature regulation issues potential causes ~ Post #2 here (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) and the posts it links to that may be helpful. You may also be interested in the information in post #29 about temperature regulation and mattress microclimate.

You may also consider other variables such as your bedroom’s humidity level, whether your bed’s foundation allows for proper air circulation, what type mattress protector is being used (if you are using one), what type pillows/ what condition they are in, and ultimately, what materials and construction is your mattress made of. Opting for natural-fiber materials, when available in their best versions, will provide high-quality choices that are the most breathable, comfortable, and durable.

Would you be able to share the ILD of the latex layers you currently have? How long have you been sleeping on this mattress?

Thanks in advance for answering my many questions :slight_smile:
NikkiTMU

Thanks Nikki. Yes we have tried all the suggestions for heat. We live in Canada and humidity is not a problem in the winter. I keep the house cold for sleeping. We have found bamboo sheets tend to be the best for bedding. But we are still warm, not hot though.
The mattress was a coil and box spring and I believe the luxury top was a cotton type of padding. It was a flippable mattress that we loved but got too old and saggy which is why we got rid of it. All versions of the Marshall’s mattresses now have some form of foam. Supposedly temperature neutral, but I am skeptical.

Both latex toppers are 2 inch soft, so 20 ILD each.
I don’t know what the ILD is for the mattress. I know they are one of your trusted members. I will add a screenshot. CBH Wood designs, Swiss Dream Beds. We found them on your site. Wonderful to deal with.
We bought the mattress last August. Had high hopes but it is too firm for us. It is on slats, a very interesting design.

I just don’t know what to try now.
Thanks again for your suggestions and comments, they are much appreciated.

Thank you. I will check them out. Which model did you buy?

I bought the Regent.

If you’re sleeping too hot you can always try a topper made of cooling material (copper/carbon/gel foam), although try to get one that is certi-pur or greengaurd certified so off-gasing won’t be bad. Better yet, you can sleep systems that cool you! Google it, not sure the brand names, but they exist, systems that pump cold air or water into a topper under your sheets!