Austin Area Manufacturers and Retailers?

Hi, I’ve recently discovered this forum and am gathering some great information. My wife and I are looking into purchasing a king sized mattress and are wondering what local manufacturers or retailers we should check out. Our budget is in the $1,500 and under range.

The one mattress we’ve found so far that we really liked was an Eclipse Monarch at Factory Mattress (local Austin retailer with multiple locations). My wife recently had hip surgery and this mattress seemed to have the right amount of comfort on top for her and support underneath for me. It felt great to both of us, which is highly unusual. So I started looking for reviews.

During my search for reviews on Eclipse and that particular mattress, I found this forum and started doing serious research. The problem is I emailed Eclipse to get the layering info you recommend (quality and density of foam, etc) but they said I need to get it from Factory Mattress. I then contacted Factory Mattress and they said I need to go back in as they can only help me get that info in person. Both of these responses turned me off as I work for a manufacturer who makes high quality products and we would never refuse to tell someone material specs, whether they contacted us directly or not. And if one of our dealers told them what they told me, they wouldn’t be a dealer for long.

I may speak with them if I drive by to see what info they give me, and we really liked the mattress, but it was annoying enough to make me want to look into other options.

Thanks for your help!

Hi StillDark,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Austin and San Antonio areas (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

[quote]The one mattress we’ve found so far that we really liked was an Eclipse Monarch at Factory Mattress (local Austin retailer with multiple locations). My wife recently had hip surgery and this mattress seemed to have the right amount of comfort on top for her and support underneath for me. It felt great to both of us, which is highly unusual. So I started looking for reviews.

During my search for reviews on Eclipse and that particular mattress, I found this forum and started doing serious research. The problem is I emailed Eclipse to get the layering info you recommend (quality and density of foam, etc) but they said I need to get it from Factory Mattress. I then contacted Factory Mattress and they said I need to go back in as they can only help me get that info in person. Both of these responses turned me off as I work for a manufacturer who makes high quality products and we would never refuse to tell someone material specs, whether they contacted us directly or not. And if one of our dealers told them what they told me, they wouldn’t be a dealer for long.

I may speak with them if I drive by to see what info they give me, and we really liked the mattress, but it was annoying enough to make me want to look into other options.[/quote]

As you know I completely agree with your thoughts about the importance of disclosing the specs of a mattress that can affect the quality/durability and useful life of a mattress and without this information it’s not possible to make any meaningful assessment of the quality and durability of a mattress or make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses no matter how a mattress feels in a showroom or how well you may sleep on it when it is new. While how well you sleep on a mattress is always an important part of the value of any mattress purchase … how long you will sleep well before foam softening and breakdown takes you outside the comfort/support range that is suitable for you and you need to buy a new mattress is just as important.

In some cases a wholesale manufacturer like Eclipse will provide the information you need to a retailer even if they don’t supply them directly to a consumer and it’s really the responsibility of the store that is selling you the mattress to find out all the information you need to make an informed choice but if a retailer and/or manufacturer either isn’t willing or able to provide you with the information you need to make an informed choice then I would walk away. In most cases … manufacturers that use higher quality and more durable materials are more willing to disclose them than the manufacturers that don’t.

Phoenix